Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do athletes pass drug tests?
Quote | Reply
I am doing a bit of writing would like to know if anyone has any links or insight into this question?

I have seen cheesy websites promoting they can help you pass and such, but is it only a matter of US Anti Doping and WADA not being within the step of athletes or do they have new and better masking agents.

How did all of the cyclists get away with EPO use? etc etc.

thanks

B

http://slow-triathlete.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: How do athletes pass drug tests? [slow triathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How do athletes pass drug tests? By not doing drugs.

Sorry to be a smart-ass...I couldn't resist.

Do a search on masking agents. I think that there are corresponding drugs that hide the use of the performance enhancing ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the simple answer is "don't take drugs, and you'll pass the drug tests".

EPO use - for many years there was no test, and the current EPO test has only limited effectiveness, as EPO is cleared from the body within a few days and but if I am informed correctly the EPO test is getting more and more precise all the time.

There is no possible test for blood boosting using ones own blood (a la Puerto)

for steroids and such, see Balco. they were using top secret designer steroids that the agencies never knew about. I suspect that there are many others like that, no masking agent needed if you don't know that the original steroid exists.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: How do athletes pass drug tests? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I thought the simple answer was by studying.

--Roberto

Representing:
De Soto Clothing
Marin Bicycles
Chariot Carriers
Karhu Skis
Kayland Boots
Nemo Tents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You guys are a huge help. Appreciate it.

Thats called sarcasm, study it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Well the simple answer is "don't take drugs, and you'll pass the drug tests".

Judging by the testimony in the Landis hearing, depending on where the sample is tested, that may not be such a "slam dunk" statement...;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a very interesting question and we should take it seriously. Throughout sport there are many many examples of athletes who doped for years and didn't get caught in the tests. How do they do that?
Quote Reply
Re: How do athletes pass drug tests? [Steve B] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. EPO - There was no test for epo
2. Blood doping - There is no test for blood doping
3. Testosterone - the test to detect synthetic testosterone is expensive and not normally done, normally ratios of test to other hormones are checked. the clever user can make sure those ratios are correct...but you might screw up occasionally, maybe on stage 17.
furthermore certain forms of injectible testosterone are very short lived, you could use them one day and be clean a couple days later.

4. other steroids - custom steroids for which no test exists yet (bonds, marion jones, etc)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: How do athletes pass drug tests? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When the US anti-doping officials go to olympians without notice, is it a urine test or blood or likely both? And any ideas what they are testing for?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am not certain what they are testing for, but I know the protocol in '99 and '00 was to do urine testing when out of competition testing was done. A few teammates were on national teams for swimming and the doping testing folks showed up at workout a few times. I know they did urine, because one time the guy had just peed 5 minutes beforehand. Between being nervous he was being tested (they have to actually watch you urinate) and being "empty", it took him a good two hours to get a good sample for the tester.

This is also a reason why I think it is pointless to test AG athletes. In order to truly and effectively erradicate doping, agencies must do out of competition testing. An AGer who wants to dope can easily dope then simply cycle off in the days/weeks leading up to the race. Why waste everyone's time and money by only doing "in competition testing" in a sport such as triathlon, where we don't peak nearly as often as other sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A theory proposed to me by a pro team wrench goes like this:

Teams with enough money can hire private detectives to shadow the "random" drug testers, and when it appears that the tester is headed to where the top guy is training that racer has a last minute change of training plans and avoids the test. At this point the athlete has a stash a clean blood that he transfuses in and makes an appearance for his random test. This way the athlete dopes enough to recover from significant training but still comes out clean in the tests.

I have no idea if this is true or not but the idea could have legs.

Now I need to get back to study for my Sarcasm final!

--Roberto

Representing:
De Soto Clothing
Marin Bicycles
Chariot Carriers
Karhu Skis
Kayland Boots
Nemo Tents
Quote Reply
Re: How do athletes pass drug tests? [RogueClimber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well my take is that good ones have as good or better labs than the testing agencies and know exactly how long it takes to clear the blood/urine, and work around that. I read where some of the bills on the good Spanish MD were around 50k Euros a year for the program.
When EPO was being developed there was a movement to put a marker in the formula, but for some reason it never came about. Cancer drugs don't need markers.
I think there are other masking agents that work for specific drugs and tend to confuse the tests. Again these aren't home cooking but very scientific folks working out there.
I also think that they can trace blood transfusions with the AS1 and CPDa1 preservatives they use. The preservatives are quickly eliminated by the kidneys so the chances of catching one on that basis is slight.
Bottom line it is a big game. The cheaters get good, then the tests catch up, then the cheaters get better and the tests catch up. I always laugh at the testers as they spring new tests just in time for the Olympics and a dozen wrestlers and weightlifters go home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
to speak particularly about NAS race I had urine test at IMWisconsin (as well as some other guys I know) and not sure what it was for - I think for EPO blood test needed....

Hare Krishna
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll find a lot of interesting info at cyclingnews.com. You may have to dig a little, but it's there. Cyclists used to use laundry detergent to eliminate synthetic EPO in urine samples, which led to samples with no EPO at all. This raised flags as there should be some natural EPO in there.
-HWM
www.slopesports.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"There is no possible test for blood boosting using ones own blood (a la Puerto)"
I thought they could now tell the age of the red blood cell-new and old. Thus finding the blood dopers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nearly every trick in the book (and there are many, including juicy and sick ones like cathetering someone else's urine up into one's own bladder, etc.) is listed here:

"drugs, sport, and politics" -- robert voy, MD

(by a USOC doc who quit in disgust after seeing how the U.S. Olympic Committee actually condones and encourages drug use for the pursuit of olympic medals).

Where would you want to swim ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One way that many pass drug tests is by using new drugs that haven't made it onto the banned list. Like the Balco labs turning out "designer" drugs. When Ben Johnson failed his test in 1988 there was an inquiry in Canada. Reputable doctors from testing labs testified that many athletes showed an endocrine profile that indicated they were using steroids (your body will produce much less of the natural stuff if you add extra from an external source) but the rules stated that the athlete can't be banned or disqualified unless the substances found in the urine sample matched the identified substances from the banned list. If you had molecules from another type of new drug, you weren't caught.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
for steroids as such, see Balco. they were using top secret designer steroids that the agencies never knew about. I suspect that there are many others like that, no masking agent needed if you don't know that the original steroid exists.
Actually, in the BALCO case, the steroids used were old variants of common steroids from as far back as the '60's that never came to market. The legal way around these drugs was that they were not named as banned substances. What BALCO brought forth was that banned drug lists are just that, lists of drugs. If you used one not on the list, you were not using a banned substance!

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply