Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 404 vs 808 front wheel, what's the time savings?
Quote | Reply
The topic is the question: assuming all things equal (in my case, a rear disc cover), any how much time might be saved over an Oly or HIM bike split using an 808 vs. 404 front wheel?

I have a perfectly good 404, but of course I'm always thinking about ways to go faster "for free".
(not that getting an 808 is even remotely close to "free" :-p)

Checked out the Zipp site, I thought they had this sorta data someplace?
Or was that just for HED wheels on tthe HED website?

Anyway, aero gurus, let's hear what ya think.
THX!!!
-M

PS - I know this is heresy, but I use clinchers. So, Blackwell and PX and I think HED deeper wheels are out.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 vs 808 front wheel, what's the time savings? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nah get the HED jet 90, i use that on the front, and its a clincher (if you go for the deep one).

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 vs 808 front wheel, what's the time savings? [newbz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I forgot about the Hed Jet (I guess cuz of the blue color, but now I see that you can order it w/ diff colored decals, so that fixes that part of it).

That's another one to consider I guess.

I think I'm looking for a solution in search of a problem however. Unless the speed/wattage savings are more than nominal, I'll probably keep the extra rotating weight in my wallet.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 404 vs 808 front wheel, what's the time savings? [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Murphy'sLaw,

Over a season and perhaps a dozen races it will be on the order of 1 second per mile.

Open up the wallet and put down the green!

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in keeping with honored tradition here on ST, i'd like to remind you that a lead-shot filled 32 spoke Mavic Open CD with 12 gauge spokes is known to be the fastest wheel for any M40-44 racers, especially on hilly courses. i wouldn't want you to miss out on any possible speed advantage, especially not when its available so cheap. i can even ship you a specially prepared one by overnight fedex, just in time for harriman, if that would help.
Quote Reply