Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts???
Quote | Reply
I just got the umpteenth 2007 version of the Colorado Cyclist catalog in the mail the other day. I swear they come more often than Newsweek! As I was looking through it, I noticed the significant increase in the number bib shorts being offered. Almost every page of clothing had 2 or 3 bibs shown on them. They seem to be about $20 or $30 more expensive than the same bike shorts. I even saw an ASSOS pair for $275 – ouch!!!

My question is what is the advantage of using bibs vs regular bike shorts? I know I would never use them in a triathlon but why would I want to spend the extra money for a pair just for training?

Rich G.
Proud member of the Geritol wave!
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [RichG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just get a pair - you will never go back to regular shorts (except for a tri). They are FAR more comfortable biking in, especially long distance and when aero or in the drops.

Quote | Reply
Because bibs look sexy when I wear them to the grocery store with no shirt on

Actually I think the pad in the bibshorts stays in place better
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll be the dissenting opinion and say that, to me, bib shorts offer NO advantage whatsoever. In fact, ignoring the inconvenience factor of having to nearly disrobe when ya gotta pee, I just don't like the feel of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to swear by bib shorts after I bought a pair when I was in France. It had a real leather chamois and I wore those shorts until they were threadbare. With a little lotion in the morning those things fit like your skin and never chafed. However, in my present location bibs are much too hot. My Pearl Izumi shorts get the job done and now that no one uses natural chamois anymore I'm just not that impressed with any of the shorts.
Chad
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree with rroof - bibs are far more comfortable than normal bike shorts. I'm certainly never buying a 'normal' pair again.

Saving up to join the Felt Mafia! Crazy

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once you go bibs, you will never wear regular bike shorts again. There is no comparison.

Spot

Quote | Reply
Bib shorts are also great if you tend to spill stuff on yourself. :-)

Grant

Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chad,
Some bibs have 'airier' (word?) straps than others. It ain't as hot here as in Phoenix, but it gets hot enough (110F) I just compensate by using the airiest bibs and really cool jerseys.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You MUST get a pair BUT make sure you get the bibs with "DIMPLES". They make you faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you do, don't get bibs, cuz then you'll have to figure out what to do with your all of your bike shorts.

I use them on the trainer and on really short rides, just to use them up. THey just hold the BOYZ better and they are easier on the back.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i dont like bib much......i feel way better with normal cycling short in hot summer long rides..... try both and see what feel best...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are there any females out there with experience with bib shorts? Most of the advantages seem to be for males but I've never known a woman who wears them, although women's models are available. I imagine that they would hold the chamois in place better but I'm reticent to shell out the extra money purely on speculation.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [banana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't imagine they would be comfortable for a woman with breasts. I would think the straps would be WAY uncomfortable. Not sure though, because I've never tried. But I definitely wouldn't pay the money until I'd tried a pair on...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]and now that no one uses natural chamois anymore I'm just not that impressed with any of the shorts.[/reply]

Actually, the Nalini Mog 1 chamois is very close to a
natural chamois. Check em out.

Lewis
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jodi,

They do make women specific bib shorts. See this link for pics.. http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=18029

Paul..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am such a fan of bib shorts that I designed my own.

Click on the image below to see the De Soto 400-Mile Bibshort. I welcome anyone to compare the quality of our Bibs to anything on the market. Even the bibs out there that cost $275.00.

The De Soto 400-Mile Bib Short is less than 1/2 the price.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, wetsuits and accessories since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The advantages of bibshorts are that they hold your equpiment more snugly, they don't have a waist strap and thus don't chafe around the waste, and when the back of your jersey rides up, they keep you covered, so you don't get a thin tanned stripe across your low back. Not to mention they're much more comfortable. The only slight disadvantage comes when taking pee breaks, but most of them, you can leave the straps up, and just yank down the front low enough to whip it out and take a leak. Now if the kids had to swim, that would be more of an ordeal.

I may be the only dissenter here, but i prefer my bibshorts on hot days, I've got specialized ones at the moment with meshy straps and I find them cooler on hot days than any of my regular cycling shorts or tri shorts. I'll have to see how our MS Tina ones are when they come in next week.

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am such a fan of bib shorts that I designed my own.

Click on the image below to see the De Soto 400-Mile Bibshort. I welcome anyone to compare the quality of our Bibs to anything on the market. Even the bibs out there that cost $275.00.

The De Soto 400-Mile Bib Short is less than 1/2 the price.

The pad of your short isn't seamless therefore I'd hate to ride 400 miles in them. Even the 2006 version of the disco channel shorts made by nike which is much cheaper is better than the de soto short. Your short is overrated.

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"Your short is overrated."

Shut yo mouth - we talking about Desoto, Emilio Desoto!

Seriously, have you actually tried the 400 mile bibs? I actually prefer them to my top of line Assos.

Jim
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
"Your short is overrated."

Shut yo mouth - we talking about Desoto, Emilio Desoto!

Seriously, have you actually tried the 400 mile bibs? I actually prefer them to my top of line Assos.

Jim

Sorry, I did not know that your opinion is of an higher value than mine.

I judge my shorts by ride comfort and not by the name of its creator. They are way overrated and not worth its price. I prefer shorts with seamless padding.

Frank

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [Bavarian_Frank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My opinion is no more valuable than yours. However it is still unclear if you have actually ridden in a pair of the Desoto bibs. I have used bibs from santini, assos, pearl izumi, verge, voler, giordana, castelli, nalini, adidas, .... and can say that for me the Desoto bibs are as comfortable for long rides as any of the above.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
The advantages of bibshorts are that they hold your equpiment more snugly, they don't have a waist strap and thus don't chafe around the waste, and when the back of your jersey rides up, they keep you covered, so you don't get a thin tanned stripe across your low back. Not to mention they're much more comfortable. The only slight disadvantage comes when taking pee breaks, but most of them, you can leave the straps up, and just yank down the front low enough to whip it out and take a leak. Now if the kids had to swim, that would be more of an ordeal.

I may be the only dissenter here, but i prefer my bibshorts on hot days, I've got specialized ones at the moment with meshy straps and I find them cooler on hot days than any of my regular cycling shorts or tri shorts. I'll have to see how our MS Tina ones are when they come in next week.

I used to burn all the time with my jersey riding up, especially in aero.

Bibs are the way to go, but you MUST tape your nipples, which I never do if I wear normal bike shorts.

Also with some normal shorts I get abdomen compression which can make me nauseous or give me GI distress, but bibs with the lack of waistband do not create those problems.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Bib Shorts vs Regular Bike Shorts??? [trijs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
My opinion is no more valuable than yours. However it is still unclear if you have actually ridden in a pair of the Desoto bibs. I have used bibs from santini, assos, pearl izumi, verge, voler, giordana, castelli, nalini, adidas, .... and can say that for me the Desoto bibs are as comfortable for long rides as any of the above.

My opinion is based on experience. I've ordered two pairs last year and used them. I'd not buy them again.

Frank

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went to bibs and don't think I'll go back. For people carrying a little more winter weight, it feels better in bibs than having the waistline cut you off and have some handles on the sides, bibs conceal this. Some are harder to get your stuff out to pee in though, probably depends on the brand.
give them both a try. I never thought I'd like them either.

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply

Prev Next