Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time.
Quote | Reply
There are quite a few threads about reaching some target for the month of Nov. Be it S/B/R. In the scope of your triathlon racing, do you really think that this is going to make you faster? Do you really think that this challenge is going to carry over to your races next March, May or July? If so you are smoking crack and I'd advise that you stop. Stop Now. Before you set yourself up for disappointment.

Challenges are great for things like raising money, climbing to the top of a summit of some really tall mountain, hiking a 40 mile trail in under 20hrs. Challenges are not great for you tri training at the end of your season. It's like eating the turkey then trying to make a turkey sandwich. Where is the meat? You can't make a sandwich with just two peices of bread. It's just bread and mustard, there is no sand in your wich.

If you really want a challenge, I have one for you. One that will make you a better triathlete runner. One that will increase your runnning fitness and cause you to strike fear into the hearts of your fellow competitors. Starting NOW, I challenge you to really make a difference in your ability to race a triathlon.

My challenge is for you to run 200 miles per month, every month for the next four months. You must run at least 200 per month and you must get your long run up to 2hrs by the end of month 2 and 2:30 by the end of month 4. You must run at least one other run every week at least 60min in length and your average duration can not be below 25min run. You must swim and ride a total of 4X per week and the length of these is not really important. (in other words don't be a dummy and go ride 2x100mile per week or swim 2x9000 (tigerchik this is really for you ;-)) shelling yourself for your running.) The goal is to raise your running to a new fitness level.

If you want a challenge that will make you faster and fitter and carry over into your triathlon season making you a better racer this is it. If you want to challenge yourself in a half ass way that will not then this is not for you.

For those of you who will take the half assed challenges, may this thread run through your head as you read and watch the calfs of your fellow AG competitors run away from you. For those of you who will take the Full Ass Challenge, you better learn to count b/c you are going to run out of fingers counting the people you run past.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brian,

How did you know that was my winter running program for years! You keep giving away all the secrets!!

As I think I said in another thread, it's what many Canadian triathletes do - cycling is hard in the winter, but the running( just base endurance running) is actually pretty good, so it's a good time of the year to lay down the miles, and not just for one month, but for 3 - 4 months. And this is NOT to get ready for a spring marathon!!

Edit: You have also pointed out the one area that if a triathlete is REALLY serious about improving, they will want to improve. Reason: NO ONE is running fast in triathlons these days( In the AG ranks) Even minimal improvements in run fitness wil yield big improvements in place performance in triathlon competition.

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Nov 2, 06 7:27
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This challenge is for the technically impaired (like me) who don't own heart rate monitors, Computrainers, etc. I accept the challenge!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Someone please get desert dude some caffeine, stat!!! ; )

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: Nov 2, 06 7:21
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like my winter training plan, can I have a couple of weeks off and start late after my last tri in a couple of weeks? I do need to swim a hell of a lot more this winter as well though.

---------------------------
http://www.nunnsontherun.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DD, what are you doing? I have been reading all those threads and hoping that the competition would all be blowing themselves up this winter. You are ruining it for me!

I had to laugh at some of the challenges to tell the truth. I never exceeded a 1000 mile month this entire past year, including my peak summer pre IM months. The idea of doing one in November or December, 7-9 months out before the next A race seems ludicrous on a grand scale.

I like the idea of a 1000 mile bike month, but I am thinking more like April or May.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well put. You just described my swim focus this winter perfectly. 16 weeks of 8-10 swims per week, running 4x per week, and cycling 3x per week during that focus. The adaptations you get during a 16 week focus will be much more significant and lasting than a one month challenge.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're out of your freakin' mind!!!

I mean, these type of posts are ridiculous and totally out of control.

Who the hell puts mustard on a turkey sandwich???

It's mayo, man. MAYO!!!

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, for someone who wanted to go top ten at SOMA and only did a 2:23 bike..... maybe a challenge is in order..... :-)

and for people who have early races, it aint too early.....

-----
"I do my best to slay" - Matt Pike
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So, what you are saying is that 4 consecutive half-assed challenges makes a good challenge?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to follow the: Do everything your coach tells you to- no more no less- challenge. If I were to run 200 miles this month I'd end up having to take a month off to heal my knees. There is something to be said for slowly increasing your mileage to build base. Every person has a safe training volume. The key is to consistently raise that volume. Hopefully by March I'll be up to 200 miles and then I can stick to your challenge through the summer!

:)

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well said. One month challenges may be useful earlier in the season to do a swim, bike, or run focus block of training, but I'm not sure I understand the point of doing this at the end of the season. Racking up big volume in any sport in November will only help your 2007 season if you plan to carry that through for another 2-3 months and really make an impact on your abilities in that sport. Become a runner for the next 3-4 months. If you've got a CT or powermeter and a trainer (and can stand the indoor training hours) then focus on the bike for 3 months with a good plan to increase you threshold power. Show up in 2007 as a better runner or cyclist by spending several months becoming one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So your recommending 50 miles a week in the offseason? Is this for Ironman or all distances? Essentially that would be 5 ten milers a week if I wanted any off days or time to do other workouts. Is this LSD or mix in some tempo, intervals etc? Do you offer body doubles so someone could watch my kids, do my job, etc.:) Im listening cause I do want to race and run faster in 2007.

How about 30 miles a week for those just doing sprints and international distance?

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First the 'Flanagan wetsuit test' and now this? You guys (like me) are ex-swimmers, you should know how to handle a taper!!!

Since we're all tapering for Clearwater we should come up with a drink challenge. As triathletes we'll only need 4, but as ex-swimmers we can get to 15 before realizing it--it's all about breaking through that mental barrier.

Here's a good one, for every 30 seconds Flanagan outswims us, he has to do a shot of Jack. Everyone wins!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Izit ok if I start this FULL ASSED CHALLENGE (Tm) in December?

I was planning on doing a bit of run focus anway (and yes, some swim focus too, but that'll probably be more drills and whatnot than "shelling" myself anyway, not that I've ever once actually been able to shell myself while swimming). But, I don't want to repeat the mistake of too much, too soon like I did after IMLP (and then got PF), so I'm gonna lay kinda low for most of Nov, then start ramping it back up a bit towards the end of the month so I can get up and rolling again for Dec and beyond.

Thx for issuing the FULL ASSED challenge, Brian!

-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You're out of your freakin' mind!!!

I mean, these type of posts are ridiculous and totally out of control.

Who the hell puts mustard on a turkey sandwich???

It's mayo, man. MAYO!!!

I know you are biased due to the homonym w/ your last name ;-) but I must correct you: When making a turkey sandwich (the leftover, after Thanksgiving kind, not the Boar's Head kind), there is only one thing you put on it as a condiment, and it ain't mustard OR mayo - it's GRAVY!!!!! You can even go nuts and make it a full-on (full assed?) Thanksgiving sandwich and put on some stuffing, mashed potatoes, and even some cranberry relish (my wife makes YUMMY cranberry-based preserves), and then you are livin' large.

Do it right or wasting your time :-)

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That was kinda the whole point of the the 50000yd, 500mile, 125mile.

You still need to train in each disipline. For me those numbers were a little higher then was i was going to do this month in the first place so it was a good option for me to shoot for them.

I plan on doing similar the next 4 months after that also, just change around the number a little based on how much time i have and how i am feeling.

200 miles would be too much for me. Well i dunno it may or may not. But i am going with coaches orders and staying between 120 and 140.

So whats the problem with this challenge or were you not talking about this?

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Ed in IL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I should have clarified, this is for all distances and the goal is to just run, don't worry about doing intervals or LT workouts. I'll have another challenge for that later in the year when it will really benefit you, of course you need to complete this challenge for that one to really work. The important thing is that if you are going to focus, doing it for one month is a waste of time in the long run. You may see a .5-1.5% long term gain but if you focus for 4 months you may see a 5-10+% long term gain. The key is grasp the concepts behind the challenge while doing the challenge be it at what ever mileage you want to run.

Even if you are just doing sprints or olys, more is really more in many situations. Instead of doing 5x10miles, do something like 7, 10, 5, 5, 15, 6, 3. This actually gives you a 1 mile buffer.

The other part of this is reduce your frequency to only maintainence workouts in the other sports. You don't need to be riding 100+ miles per week. 2x45min to 1hr wil maintain most of your fitness, same with the swim.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I have to slowly but consistently raise my running fitness and let my body adapt to it before doing something crazy like this.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good thread. Don't give this guy caffeine b/c I think this is good advice. I think the "don't be stupid" voice in my head should be louder when I train.

-------------------------------------------------------
Alright, when I say your name, you say 'here.' And we will assume 'here' is short for 'here I am...rock you like a hurricane.
~Ignignokt
Quote Reply
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't do 6-10 shots of Jack ;-)

Seriously, its all about the run though...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"this is for all distances and the goal is to just run"

Brian,

It's too simple and straight forward. No one is EVER going to get this :)

Fleck

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: So you want a challenge? - Half assed or Full on Ass? You choose. Alternate title: Do it right or wasting your time. [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
That was kinda the whole point of the the 50000yd, 500mile, 125mile.

You still need to train in each disipline. For me those numbers were a little higher then was i was going to do this month in the first place so it was a good option for me to shoot for them.

I plan on doing similar the next 4 months after that also, just change around the number a little based on how much time i have and how i am feeling.

200 miles would be too much for me. Well i dunno it may or may not. But i am going with coaches orders and staying between 120 and 140.

So whats the problem with this challenge or were you not talking about this?

No problem with your challenge, but if you look at the numbers in your challenge, that is more than the typical triathlete puts inn in their biggest weeks. I did not see or read your challenge. The Full Ass or half assd challenge is really about taking what I see as the biggest limiter in the over whelming majority of triathletes and starting to correct the weak link. In the US especially, it seems racing is focused on the S/B combo, but the reality is you can be way off the back off the bike and if you are a good runner move way, way ahead in the race. The flip side is crappy runners run to hang on, the run for their lives and more often than not, poor runners go backwards in the standings as much as they went forward.

Running is also the hardest to build fitness, it takes more run fitness then most people think to really see significant gains in performance. By significant, I'd say a :90 improvement for 10k consistently through the entire season or a 4-5min improvement in the half race after race. Running a 1:47:45 then a 1:45:27 is not really that significant IMO. But running a 1:42:32 is. The 1;42 runner is going to move much further ahead and hold off many more people than the 1:47 or 1:45 person. The 1:42 runner is about 1-1.2km faster over the 21.1k HIM run.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply

Prev Next