Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think she is hard wired to crush her swims. She had the fastest 100 split on her team at the mid season meet when she set the 1650 record earlier this year. Simone was out with injury though. Realistically they are swimming for 2nd place behind Cal in this relay. I filled out the PickEm contest on swimswam today its fun to follow along
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She had the fastest 100 split on her team at the mid season meet when she set the 1650 record earlier this year//

THat's exactly my point, their team is not a lock by any means when she has the fastest split(which means nothing really, the relay is 4 times combined). Of course Simone changes everything, but regardless, they will need Katie to have her best sprint swim to be competitive. Not the 2nd best time on the team, not her PR, nothing less than the best she could do that day not being trashed by crushing the ghost in the lane next to her in the 1650.

But you are probably right, she will swim like a dog, in the moment...But isn't that what coaches are for, many times to tell you to not go too hard rather than go harder??
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [IntenseOne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
15:00:15
Bank on it. ;)

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Mar 13, 18 23:31
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
She had the fastest 100 split on her team at the mid season meet when she set the 1650 record earlier this year//

THat's exactly my point, their team is not a lock by any means when she has the fastest split(which means nothing really, the relay is 4 times combined). Of course Simone changes everything, but regardless, they will need Katie to have her best sprint swim to be competitive. Not the 2nd best time on the team, not her PR, nothing less than the best she could do that day not being trashed by crushing the ghost in the lane next to her in the 1650.

But you are probably right, she will swim like a dog, in the moment...But isn't that what coaches are for, many times to tell you to not go too hard rather than go harder??

- Keep in mind at the conference finals, she swam her best 200 scy of the year, beating Simone by a finger nail, only a few minutes after setting an American record in the 400 IM.
Pretty sure she will have plenty left for a huge effort in the 4 x 100, even if she crushes the 1650.
But, that is why I thought this would be a fun post- lot’s of variables here. We will all see soon enough, always fun to be able to watch an all time great athlete :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She also did a couple 1000/200 dual meet doubles where she finished the 1000 and rested on the wall
for ONE MINUTE while the rest of the swimmers finished and then she exited the water and immediately got up on the blocks for the 200 and twice went a 1:43

They will likely have a projected margin of victory of over 100 points heading into the last night of finals so I doubt the relay place is of any concern to the team standings but it will be Simone's final college swim.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the 1650 straight to final at NCAA's? or do they make them swim heats?

my prediction - new AR but a hair over the 15 minute mark. 15:01.34

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Friend of mine who has three Olympic Golds said that he sees a good chance of going under. She will not be tired from other events. She is trained for it and no reason not to
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They just swim once with the top seeds swimming in the afternoon and slower seeds in the morning but placing is from all the swims.

Tiago
---------------------
Sponsors: : Blueseventy :
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [BrzilianTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's how it usually works up here too. Typically the 800 or 1500 is run in their own session held between heats and finals for all but the fastest heat. but I was having a brain fart and couldn't remember how NCAA's does it.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [Gonefishin5555] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She also did a couple 1000/200 dual meet doubles where she finished the 1000 and rested on the wall
for ONE MINUTE while the rest of the swimmers finished and then she exited the water and immediately got up on the blocks for the 200 and twice went a 1:43 //

Ok you guys on this thread with this feeling, you are not getting what I'm saying so stop giving me examples of her winning small meets going back to back, with one minute rest already!! My point is what if she could have gone 1;42 in that race with some rest?? I gave you the ultimate example that actually happened at the Olympic Games, where she was off on her relay split, I say because she was arm tired from a program of drilling every single event. And for the last time, of course she will do a good time no matter what, but this is a relay that combines 4 times, and is compared to 4 times of other swimmers on other teams. They are not the favorites, but have a shot at winning it. It is her teammates last race in college, so probably the rest of the team would like to send her out with a gold in that relay. So lot of pressure to win it, so they will need best times from everyone, and best time from a non arm tired Katie.

That is my point, not that she could not swim 10 events back to back and win them individually. "RELAY"" And I bet she would like to win it too personally, but is time more important to her than winning?? She is a very unique swimmer in that she may be the only one that can dog an event and still win it, very few have had this luxury or choice over the years..
Last edited by: monty: Mar 14, 18 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is a principle that deserves a name. The principle is this: You cannot judge the performance of the super elite based on their place. Torenzo "won" a 70.3 the week after an IM so he must be juicing...KL beat Simone in a 200 free after a 400 IM so she can swim her best with no rest. Wrong and Wrong. The super elite still win under less than ideal conditions because...they are better than everyone else. Not because they are unaffected or cheating.

In order for KL to have her VERY BEST 100 free she cannot go all out in a 1650 2 hours before. This is 100% a fact even if she goes a 46.9 on the relay after smashing the 1650 in 14:55.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you!!! I guess it takes a real swimmer to get this. At least I’m not alone out here. 🏊‍♂️
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya too. ;-)

I still think she breaks the AR, because she's hard-wired that way.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so says the psyche sheet

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
There is a principle that deserves a name. The principle is this: You cannot judge the performance of the super elite based on their place. Torenzo "won" a 70.3 the week after an IM so he must be juicing...KL beat Simone in a 200 free after a 400 IM so she can swim her best with no rest. Wrong and Wrong. The super elite still win under less than ideal conditions because...they are better than everyone else. Not because they are unaffected or cheating.

In order for KL to have her VERY BEST 100 free she cannot go all out in a 1650 2 hours before. This is 100% a fact even if she goes a 46.9 on the relay after smashing the 1650 in 14:55.

To your point, and Monty’s, and others...I am not missing your point, I just don’t entirely agree with it. Here is my view, Ledecky is obviously an elite athlete, and as such has physiological characteristics different than 99.999% of the population. This applies not only to her “speed”, but also to her resistance to fatigue. There is a reason why nobody else in the world, now or in the past, has been able to hold such a consistent stroke count and cadence for the entire swim, no matter how long the event. The reality for Ladecky is that a 15 min full effort swim does not fatigue her to the same extent that it would you or I (or any other current elite swimmer). So in considering her, you cannot use the standard “template”, you have to judge by past performances. Could she have swam a faster 200 Free at conference finals if she had not done the 400 IM? Maybe, but also maybe not- she could have very well swam slower. It was, after all, her best 200 scy swim of the season, and by a very similar margin to her time improvements in her other events. In regard to Monty’s reference to a “bad” relay swim- yes she had a bad swim. It happens. Bad swims happen to all swimmers, even the best, even when rested. She could have been tired, or, perhaps she was right in her statement that she got too excited and over swam it?? Here is a fact- there are very few facts when it comes to human performance! Anyone who has competed for any length of time has experienced unexplained great days or performances, and unexplained bad days. That is what makes it fun!
We will all find out soon enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bit late to the party, but I say she goes just over and laps the field.
She pretty much can't not hammer it, but I think she'll just miss the under. Still sets a new record.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I WON!!!!!! Do I finally get the title of kingfish around here yet?? (-;

15;07+
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on your 15:07. Impressive time.

What was the margin?

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good one, now for her split on the relay. Was she just having a bad meet, or loading up for the sprints? Guessing since this is NCAA swimming, she has been doing a lot more spadework than she usually would..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interestingly, both last season, and this season, Ladecky went 15:03:xx mid season, then 15:07:xx at NCAA’s. She consistently went out well under her record paces in all 3 events, 500 Free, 400 IM and 1650, and faded in all 3. She fell to second in the 400 IM, largely because it was the only event she had a close competitor.
An interesting pattern is developing with Ladecky, mid season, smaller meets, she seems to be more relaxed, goes out easier and holds a very even pace (in both her 15:03’s, she swam every 50 at 27.5, +/- .1- except 1st and last which were both under 27), but in the “big” meets she starts out much faster (5 seconds faster at 500 today than on her record swim) and then fades, 28+ on her final 6 - 50’s today. After lapping the field at 1200 yards today, the woman who finished 2nd recaught Ladecky at the 1300 (for Ladecky, still a 50 behind for McHugh), and swam shoulder to shoulder with Ladecky until she finished.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
She fell to second in the 400 IM, largely because it was the only event she had a close competitor. //

Did you see the race?? She did not fall to 2nd, she barley hung onto it. She was beaten by a much better swimmer, one who smashed the record. 3 or 4 girls swam up to her at the end of the breast stroke and she fought for her life to get that 2nd, race in front had already been decided.
Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think it was minimal rest for Pac12 and a short taper for NCAA. My gut says Pan Pacs in Japan is the bigger priority. 2018 will be about setting up for 2020 for travel and camps ...

Quote Reply
Re: Katie Ledecky over under on 15 minutes [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it was minimal rest for Pac12 and a short taper for NCAA. My gut says Pan Pacs in Japan is the bigger priority. 2018 will be about setting up for 2020 for travel and camps ... //

Perhaps, but she had some pretty off swims for her regardless of the short taper. I wonder if she might be a little sick, or perhaps got into a big training hole that only months will get her out of. At any rate, hope he coach is paying attention and figures it out. I wanted her to sandbag the 1650 on purpose, not because she went out hard and died. Her other races were similar, but she was sprinting ok. Should be a great learning experience for her and her coach, kind of hard when you crush the world or other record every other time you swim..(-;
Quote Reply

Prev Next