Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SRM water damage question
Quote | Reply
A coaching client of mine has a SRM that was just in Colorado on November for a battery change/general check up.
Last week, he was caught out in the rain, and the unit died, he sent it back to Colorado and they say that there was water egress and it will be $300 to fix, I was pretty surprised, aren't those supposed. to be water proof? especially considering that they just overhauled it a couple of months ago
Has anyone else had any experience with this, any suggestions?.
For reference it's a Cannondale Holowgram unit.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: SRM water damage question [trener1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
some older SRM unit's aren't waterproof. (My track one isn't at least) Is it a wired model?

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: SRM water damage question [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
I am not sure how old it is, but it's a wireless so I don't think it is that old.
Also SRM actually told him that they are indeed supposed to be waterproof but are still going to charge him $300.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If they serviced it back in November it is supposed to come with a 1 year warranty on the parts/services performed. I would l think that is a case for them to fix it under warranty. But, then again what you think should happen and what actually does is a different matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have your client contest it. Alternatively, if you know of any level two dealers, see if the dealer could go to bat on your behalf.

Having the thing fail rught after battery swap is kinda damning.

As for personal experience, i had a unit that i put in my trunk after riding in the rain. Apparently that environment was too humid, and the unit died. Srm replaced it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. Never had anything other than great service from SRM. They always put 12 months warranty on mine when they change the battery and its been going for 8 years now! I would contest that one for sure.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM water damage question [earthling] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd. I have been an SRM user for twenty years now and have used many different SRM powermeters over the years and I have always had excellent service from the folks in CO. I would expect that they would repair/replace this unit at no cost due to them having serviced it only a few months ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would keep trying to go up the chain of command and call BS on the water damage.

I have used SRM for 17 years- I have specifically returned units because they died due to rain- They were always fixed for zero cost.
Quote Reply
Re: SRM water damage question [bootsie_cat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I agree with you all, he contested as you guys suggested and now this is the latest from SRM.
They are claiming that it must have been caused by extreme atmospheric conditions which would have allowed for the seal to be compromised when force was applied.
That is an excel quote from them.

Seems like the are really stonewalling, and coming up with strange excuses for the unit failing in the first wet ride 3 months after it was serviced by them.
Anyone have a name or something to go up the chain of commend? or other suggestion, it seems like they are really stonewalling here and not being at all reasonable.
Last edited by: trener1: Feb 23, 18 11:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a SRM and sent it in for service a few weeks ago because the zero offset number was jumping all over the place. They changed the battery, cleaned the brushes, and replaced the circuit board all under warranty. It was less than two years old. Before that I had a PC8 mount break and they sent me a new one. So great experiences with their customer service.

To play devil's advocate though, sometimes stuff breaks and you have to pay to get it fixed. Not everything can be covered under warranty for the lifetime of the product (unless they have a blanket lifetime warranty - I don't have their warranty in front of me). Maybe the seal that failed wasn't something that would have been touched with a battery change and that's why they aren't covering it under warranty (although they should explain that if it's the case).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it were me I would stick it in the post to the German outlet and tell them the story. Clearly its a waterproof seal that has bust under warranty. If it was atmospheric conditions that bust the seal - again this is clearly the seal not doing its job and its a warranty issue. When you post to Germany you get a form to fill out - write down the seal has gone and you want it replacing under warranty - include the paperwork from the muppets you have been dealing with.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply