Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone from Canada order a Premier Tactical?
Quote | Reply
I am very interested in ordering the Premier Tactical but was wondering if any other fellow Canadians may assist with questions regarding taxes and duties? Mainly if those fees got outrageous?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Canada order a Premier Tactical? [soya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can’t speak to them specifically but I remember someone mentioning that parts are exempt under NAFTA but complete bikes subject to duties.

So get them to ship in two boxes? Also from the US only go usps not ups or fed ex...you will pay huge brokerage with the private companies.

2c
Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
soya wrote:
I am very interested in ordering the Premier Tactical but was wondering if any other fellow Canadians may assist with questions regarding taxes and duties? Mainly if those fees got outrageous?

It is dependent on a few factors......

Lets start with worst case scenario:
- the shipper declares the true sale value of the item ($$$$).
- Canada Customs will charge you import tax on the Canadian value, which is basically the sales tax rate for your province.
- Canada Customs will charge you duty if it is a complete bike, 13%.
- If shipped via a courier like UPS, you'll also likely be charged a handling/brokerage fee, I think usually less than $100, not sure.

If the frame is shipped separate, and thus not a complete bike, for duty charges you'd likely either be charged 5%, or nothing, depending on how the agent interprets the duty guide...

All that said, I've only ever once been charged 'duty' on a bicycle, most of the time I only ended up paying the import/sales tax (15% for NS), not sure why.

The only way to avoid most of these fees, is to have the seller mark a low/zero value. And it doesn't matter if it is marked 'gift' or not, its based on the declared value. Obviously most sellers are reluctant to mark a zero value on an expensive bike.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Feb 22, 18 6:14
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone from Canada order a Premier Tactical? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. I always thought that since bikes were only 5% tax in BC that percentage would also be the maximum applied to imported bike from US. But I’m not sure and want to have an idea as to the worst case scenario.
Thanks for the breakdown though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We have a number of bikes that we shipped to Canada.

One had a relative pick it up and bring it back with them and I don't believe that they paid any tax or duty.

We ship via FedX ground and Fed X has the customer sign a document so FedX can clear the shipment for you. We do all the documentation here and include those with the shipment for the clearing entity.

We sell our bikes as a "Complete Bike Package" with a lot of accessories (wheels, power meter, optimized chain etc..) I'm not sure what Canada considers a complete bike but we are happy to omit items and issue a credit for those items; if it helps with how you declare the bike (parts or complete bike).

We are happy to work with you to minimize costs and charges.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Quote Reply