Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Transfer of power to pedals
Quote | Reply
I used the search and didn’t find much so hear is my question. Does a larger platform pedal transfer more power than a smaller one, for example Ultegra vs speedplay?

Disclaimer, I’m a speedplay guy, I love the float but when I was on the trainer hammering out 600 Watt x 40 min intervals (times 3) I started to wonder if I was losing some power due to the float of the pedal.

Appreciate the thoughts and I’m joking about the watt/interval, but one can dream.
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer of power to pedals [MA_ride] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not unless your shoe's soles are way less stiff than those of typical cycling shoes.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no. same amount of applied force on a big pedal or small pedal will still result in the same torque on the crank. however the distribution of the applied force can be different... so if you have a big pedal with no shoe on, you distribute the force over a bigger area (lower pressure/in^2). the smaller pedal will have the higher pressure/in^2, but a small surface area. the bigger pedal will hurt less. but if your using a stiff shoe it won't matter at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MA_ride wrote:
but when I was on the trainer hammering out 600 Watt x 40 min intervals (times 3)

Well there's your problem. You're not even on the w/kg spectrum, they need to invent a new pedal technology to handle 600w for 40 minutes!

FWIW, even if it is 4 min......that's still a whole 1.5 points above world record holder w/kg for the 4 to 5 min range.

I assume you mean 40 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Transfer of power to pedals [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was totally kidding about the watts and duration.

The question popped into my head mid interval, thanks for the replies everyone.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MA_ride wrote:
I was totally kidding about the watts and duration.

The question popped into my head mid interval, thanks for the replies everyone.

You never know! There's some epic strong folks in ST, kidding aside.

On the topic.....

FWIW, I can notice a difference in feel but not power when using my spd shoes instead of my roadie shoes on the trainer. Mostly I get a small hotspot on my pinky toe area on the spd's I don't get with the roadies.

I noticed a difference when I installed my new cleats on the roadie shoes backwards. Not backwards "like that" but fore-aft. I had them way way too far toward my toe, and I don't ride that way. I don't like them near mid-foot, but a pretty good way back.

I did notice about a 20w difference around my threshold power from that error. I thought I was losing my mind. Fixed it, and all was right with the world.

I also notice the printed alignment markings on shoes aren't necessarily printed 100% consistent. If you look at mine, the cleats are a mirror image. But, the markings say otherwise.
Quote Reply