Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Glendora Mt Road - Locals advice
Quote | Reply
Trying to plan a trip this weekend and was wondering what the road will be like if it snows through Friday like it's supposed to.

Will biking be sketchy with patches of ice or can I get to the ski lifts pretty easily?
Last edited by: BrentwoodTriGuy: Feb 21, 18 14:04
Quote Reply
Re: Glendora Mt Road - Locals advice [BrentwoodTriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might be ok for most of the climb, perhaps as far the road to the lifts.
If you see the sign saying something like snow chains required beyond this point - turn around.

Or you can do a climb like Angeles Crest all the way to Clear Creek - about the same gain and no snow for sure.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Glendora Mt Road - Locals advice [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
You might be ok for most of the climb, perhaps as far the road to the lifts.
If you see the sign saying something like snow chains required beyond this point - turn around.

Or you can do a climb like Angeles Crest all the way to Clear Creek - about the same gain and no snow for sure.

I literally want to go to ride up to snow/chair lifts. I've never done it before. Last year the roads were too slippery to ride beyond town.

Otherwise, yeah, I'd do Angeles... which I still have never done.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prepare for it to be ass cold especially if you leave early. I looked it up and so far CA-2 is open all the way to Mt Wilson. Sunday is supposed to be pretty warm.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Glendora Mt Road - Locals advice [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Prepare for it to be ass cold especially if you leave early. I looked it up and so far CA-2 is open all the way to Mt Wilson. Sunday is supposed to be pretty warm.

I was thinking maybe Sunday would be best.

Is there any weekly rides I could hitch onto? Or anyone on here want to join me?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Angeles Forest pix and report show snow and 29 degrees at Baldy Village mid-morning today. It was 35 yesterday morning at my house in the foothills, 1200 feet. GMR is no fun when the snow starts to melt and then freezes again ... it is hard to see the ice patches ... but it's supposed to warm up a bit by this weekend (I hope, because I am going up one or the other highways on Sunday).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
alex_korr wrote:

I was thinking maybe Sunday would be best.

Is there any weekly rides I could hitch onto? Or anyone on here want to join me?
Saturday has the classic Montrose ride starting at Trader Joe's in South Pasadena. I do that ride pretty much every week. There are 4 options to chose from, with two start times and each start time having the same long or short option.

Short option = 30 miles, has only two hills - Winston and the final climb up Sierra Madre blvd.
Long Option = 40 miles but adds 3 punchy hills - 'The Kitchen', 'Hammer Alley' and 'The Wall'.

The split to go long or short is after around 12-13 miles into the ride. Don't be fooled by the distance - I always find IF's of 0.9 or higher for the whole ride...

8:30AM start time is a street race - lots of racers and very aggressive racing.
8:00AM start time is more tempo - less attacking, if you are strong, you go to the front and work.

Both start times will have probably 70-80 riders or so and will split approx in half at the long vs short split. Some people jump in along the way and others get dropped (this is obviously a drop ride).

Because it's the start of the euro classics season (I wanna watch that first) I won't make the 8:30 start in time this week, chances are I may jump in when the ride passes close to my house and then I'll do the long ride.

As for Baldy - which I can see from my house - I was thinking of riding up to the ski lift should I miss the Montrose ride. THat said the forecast is for 52F, which is at the Mt Baldy Village - 2000ft below the ski lift. Count me out for that one, I think it'll be unpleasantly cold and coming back down is gonna suck.

BTW another option is to do a combination of the Montrose ride, by doing the long option which passes by the base of Glendora Mtn Road. When you pass GMR, you simply drop out of the peloton, climb GMR on the front side, descent down the back side to highway 39, and work your way back to the start of the ride. That's a great training day. We refer to that ride as "Montrose Tall".
Last edited by: Benv: Feb 21, 18 21:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it snows stay off of GMR.
It will be cold, potential for icy patches etc.
I do not know what the snow level is planned to be but based on
our LA Temps it would be pretty low.
Riding back down from the lifts is pretty technical when it is sunny and 75.
Steep and twisty.

Wait until Spring when it is warm.
If you are LA Tri, I will be leading a ride up there at some point in time this Summer (To the lifts)

Pete

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Last edited by: gymrat: Feb 22, 18 21:10
Quote Reply
Re: Glendora Mt Road - Locals advice [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to avoid confusion here -

- Glendora Mountain Road runs from Glendora to the peak around 3000ft before descending northbound towards East Fork.
- The road that continues from the top of GMR to Mt Baldy Village at 4000ft is called Glendora Ridge Road
- The road that runs from Mt Baldy Village to the ski lift is called Mt Baldy Road (it actually runs all the way from the base in Claremont)

GMR by itself will be fine. GRR probably too. Mt Baldy road is a bad idea when weather is questionable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrentwoodTriGuy wrote:
Trying to plan a trip this weekend and was wondering what the road will be like if it snows through Friday like it's supposed to.

Will biking be sketchy with patches of ice or can I get to the ski lifts pretty easily?

It doesn't look like there will be snow but it will be really cold.

https://weather.com/...5day/l/USCA0737:1:US

I use this site when I'm summiting peaks but its also a good gauge to see weather around the lifts. You can view the weather at 3 different elevations (4922', 8203', and 10,066' - summit) and the lifts are right around 6200'.

https://www.mountain-forecast.com/...briel/forecasts/1500

Last edited by: Mugen_EP: Feb 22, 18 23:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've ridden it in very cold temps before. Made it to the top of GMR just fine, but the ice on Ridge Road was too much to continue the climb safely. There's some sketchy shady patches on the insides of corners that don't really get direct sunlight till the end of the day.
Quote Reply