Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Just how classy Gomez is
Quote | Reply
https://www.youtube.com/...18&v=QJ2zS911GUA

Sportmanship still rules, to me these are the kind of gestures making Gomez a serious GOAT candidate, pending Kona validation.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Just how classy Gomez is [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing. That's pretty awesome on Gomez's part... you probably dont see that too often.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing. I've never heard of sportsmanship like that in the sport.

I think race results are usually the only thing considering when determining the greatest of all time, but I admire Gomez for his character as much as all his wins.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So classy indeed, plus he probably didn't want to be SO FAR in the lead, as to make this another training day.

Quote Reply
Re: Just how classy Gomez is [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for embedding the video, I need to work on my forum skills!

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa! Thanks for sharing... real class real competitor!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=118&v=QJ2zS911GUA

Sportsmanship still rules, to me these are the kind of gestures making Gomez a serious GOAT candidate, pending Kona validation.

That is very cool, sitting up and waiting for Currie when he dropped his chain and had to stop to put it back on. Very impressive!!!

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hadn't heard about that. Classy indeed. Thanks for sharing!

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Sorry, but I would simply expect that.

Standard practice in cycling, if the leader, or serious contender, has mechanical then the others ease up for them.

Doesn't mean Gomez isn't a great sport, but this isn't worth lauding over.
Quote Reply
Re: Just how classy Gomez is [tuckandgo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:

Standard practice in cycling, if the leader, or serious contender, has mechanical then the others ease up for them.

Triathlon isn't cycling though, it's a different type of racing. It's a bit more akin to passing someone in a TT who has a mechanical. I can't recall anyone sitting up in that situation.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Just how classy Gomez is [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

Triathlon isn't cycling though, it's a different type of racing. It's a bit more akin to passing someone in a TT who has a mechanical. I can't recall anyone sitting up in that situation.

TT isn't head-to-head. Cycling and triathlon are (as much as MOP and BOP AG's forget that in IM (hmm a few too many acronyms there I think!) )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

TT isn't head-to-head. Cycling and triathlon are (as much as MOP and BOP AG's forget that in IM (hmm a few too many acronyms there I think!) )

It's still not the same type of sport. The etiquette you speak of is really most prevalent in multi-day stage races. get a mechanical or flat in a one day race and you're generally SOL.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tuckandgo wrote:

Definitely not the case in most bike racing. Grand Tours, maybe, if the stakes aren't too high. But classics? Other one day races? Cyclocross? Mtb? Track? No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great, great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

(Also now I have another YouTube channel to subscribe to.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=118&v=QJ2zS911GUA

Sportmanship still rules, to me these are the kind of gestures making Gomez a serious GOAT candidate, pending Kona validation.

He doesn't need Kona validation to be in the GOAT discussion. He's already in the discussion. He needs to beat A.B. at 70.3 Worlds or 2020 Olympics to be the GOAT
Quote Reply
Re: Just how classy Gomez is [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

Definitely not the case in most bike racing. Grand Tours, maybe, if the stakes aren't too high. But classics? Other one day races? Cyclocross? Mtb? Track? No.

Id also argue this kind of stuff is happening less and less in cycling GTs as well. Did anyone wait for Tom D when he had to take a shit in the pink jersey? Nope

More a think of the past, i’d say.

Great in Gomez! (But probably it shows his sportsmanship as well as his self confidence :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Just how classy Gomez is [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But Tom D took shit to get in the Pink jersey... It's the circle of life...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amazing story, thanks for sharing. For those that don't want to watch the whole video Gomez stopped to push a competitor (chain drop), and then waited for him...I've never heard of this. Amazing guy, I can't wait to see him at Worlds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who had to wear the pink jersey after he shit in it?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Just how classy Gomez is [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are right, he IS already in the GOAT discussion, but to some, validation will come through dominance in all distances. So if he's able to conquer Kona (and more if he does it as a rookie), it will be end of the discussion (for some, myself included).
But I understand that for others, beating AB in those events is a must to be GOAT

Sr. Salitre
Last edited by: SrSalitre: Feb 21, 18 12:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
jstonebarger wrote:
tuckandgo wrote:

Id also argue this kind of stuff is happening less and less in cycling GTs as well. Did anyone wait for Tom D when he had to take a shit in the pink jersey? Nope

More a think of the past, i’d say.

Great in Gomez! (But probably it shows his sportsmanship as well as his self confidence :-)

That was shit form on those in the peloton that made the move against Tom D in that situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Serious question: Has anyone won "major" races across all the "standard" distances.

Sprint / Olympic
Sprint / Olympic Draft
X-terra
Quote Reply
Re: Just how classy Gomez is [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can think of many that have all those except one, and only a few of them still racing and having the possibility of doing that last one. Of course there were not draft legal races in Mark Allen/Welchy. Smyers day, so they couldn't have won a big championship since there were none.

Gomez and the flying Bahamama have the best shot now. Each just needs an ultra win to complete the series. Frodo I guess could win Xterra, but probably not a reality at this point in his career. Those two are all I can think of that have any shot at your long list there...
Quote Reply