Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [jayski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With Zwift on a PC, make sure that it connects the ANT+ FEC first. I have found that if it connects via BT first and then you switch it to ANT+ FEC, you won't get resistance. Also, there are 2 ANT+ channels; one is FEC and one is not. If it's not FEC, you won't get resistance. What I do is click on "search" under the trainer icon as soon as that screen comes up so that I can pick and connect to the ANT+ FEC channel.

Quote | Reply
Many thanks, I shall give it a try in the morning!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jayski wrote:
New Direto owner - probably a very newbie question so apologies in advance.

On zwift I am getting no resistance changes at all when riding a course - I hit a hill, my speed slows but the resistance is the same....I dont believe this is how it should work. Am I wrong? I have followed the fixes for various issues that could cause this that Elite suggest and now I cannot even recalibrate the unit - it just shows a 'begin pedalling' screen that stays for evermore. It is hooked up with ant+ but I have tried it with bluetooth too and both together - no progress.

Im really keen to get going and would love to know what I need to do to get it working.

Many thanks

No, that is not normal. When you get to a hill, you should feel more resistance. Then, unless you want to spike your power, you would downshift...just like in real life.

On the device connection screen, make sure you pair to the direto as FE-C, not as power trainer. That is almost certainly the issue. If not, let us know.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
jayski wrote:

On zwift I am getting no resistance changes at all when riding a course - I hit a hill, my speed slows but the resistance is the same....I dont believe this is how it should work. Am I wrong? I have followed the fixes for various issues that could cause this that Elite suggest and now I cannot even recalibrate the unit - it just shows a 'begin pedalling' screen that stays for evermore. It is hooked up with ant+ but I have tried it with bluetooth too and both together - no progress.

Im really keen to get going and would love to know what I need to do to get it working.

Many thanks

No, that is not normal. When you get to a hill, you should feel more resistance. Then, unless you want to spike your power, you would downshift...just like in real life.

On the device connection screen, make sure you pair to the direto as FE-C, not as power trainer. That is almost certainly the issue. If not, let us know.

Thank you all, worked a dream this morning - now to find out how horribly unfit I have become!
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
jayski wrote:

Many thanks

Same problem, and this is what I always do. Not sure if this is a peculiarity with Zwift or with the Direto, but it is a simple extra step to make sure you are all set before the pain starts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On issue 1, not having resistance changes but only virtual speed changes related to slope, this points to a wrong pairing between zwift and direto. Make sure that you are pairing with the trainer as controllable trainer (FE-C by Ant+). Your issue can be reproduced if you pair as "power meter"

On issue 2, calibration and start pedalling prompt, make sure that you are not ALREADY pedalling when you start the calibration, only when the prompt appears and asks you to do so.

Edit: Sorry, didn't see the previous answers...
Last edited by: iker2: Nov 22, 18 6:29
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Question.....purchased an Elite Direto and plan on running Zwift thru Apple TV. Do I “need” to use a HR monitor to make everything work at its best or am I ok without the HR monitor??
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You don’t need a heart rate monitor. I don’t use one. Only issue is that if you’re into racing, and care about your official ranking, heart rate might be required in order to have your rankings officially recognized in some of the “important” virtual races, or do I say “virtually important” races ;)
They do that in order to validate your performance, so they know you’re not cheating somehow by putting in a ridiculously low weight or whatever.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [AndyCaleb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone had a problem with their power socket? The power plug has an adapter which clips onto it, one for each region. I have had two failures in this area, the thin plastic clip snaps and the adapter no longer holds in place

First time they replaced it. Second time they told me I had beeb improperly using it. Improperly using a plug...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was just offered a good deal on used 1 year old Direto.
Up until now I have been a proud Luddite using only a fluid trainer.
I'm concerned about my ability to just get on and ride with a smart trainer.
Simplicity is nice.... I don't do fancy training as I ski most of the winter.

I'm assuming I can just download the Elite app and control it fine with my smartphone?
Or do I have to hook up a laptop or tablet?
Seems like Ant+ is the way to go, which I doubt I can do from a smartphone?

Is a Direto for me?
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
I was just offered a good deal on used 1 year old Direto.
Up until now I have been a proud Luddite using only a fluid trainer.
I'm concerned about my ability to just get on and ride with a smart trainer.
Simplicity is nice.... I don't do fancy training as I ski most of the winter.

I'm assuming I can just download the Elite app and control it fine with my smartphone?
Or do I have to hook up a laptop or tablet?
Seems like Ant+ is the way to go, which I doubt I can do from a smartphone?

Is a Direto for me?

If you have a Garmin Edge 520 like I do, then you’re all set. It works great as a remote control to adjust the resistance, and also a display to see your power and cadence. You can also use it to calibrate the direto. If you want to, you can even use it to simulate any outdoor rides that you have saved on your Garmin (i.e. it will adjust resistance automatically to simulate the grades on the ride), though I have never tried that feature. I don’t know what other head units are compatible with the direto, but it may be worth looking into, instead of paying a monthly subscription fee like you would for elite or whatever app. I think you can connect with bluetooth with smartphone, but I’ve never tried it. I think it’s a bit finicky, like you can’t have other bluetooth devices (eg. speakers) connected at the same time.
By the way, you will love the direto even if you’re not interested in the smart features. The road feel is just soo nice -- maybe you could ask for a test ride before you buy it and see for yourself, then you’ll be sold!
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [davidwilcock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davidwilcock wrote:
Has anyone had a problem with their power socket? The power plug has an adapter which clips onto it, one for each region. I have had two failures in this area, the thin plastic clip snaps and the adapter no longer holds in place

First time they replaced it. Second time they told me I had beeb improperly using it. Improperly using a plug...

Never had any issues with the plug (I live in Canada so I use the North American prongs). I do make a point of keeping my direto close to the wall outlet, so as not to put any tension on that ridiculously short cord, which is probably pretty obvious and useless advice. Otherwise I have nothing to offer, sorry...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Loving my Direto and would happily buy again. That said, now that it is holiday time (and I have a few hours to burn) I decided to try and figure out how to correct the goofy speeds I am seeing on my Wahoo Elemnt and Wahoo Bolt while using my trainer. I have seen numerous places where people say that the wheel circumference needs to be changed to .173 -- but I can't seem to find where to make said change. Can anyone point me to where I can make that change? On my iPhone app I see no where within the Wahoo app for that change. Same for the Wahoo units themselves. I might just be being dense, but I am thoroughly confused! Help... Thanks.

In search of the righteous life... we all fall down
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don’t want to jinx it but I’ve had zero issues connecting Direto by BT to my iPhone and mirroring Zwift through Apple TV. Eventually I will cut the phone out of the loop.

One question for other Direto users: Do you use the Direto as the power source or power meter on the bike (I have Assioma pedals)? I read on Zwift insider comments that often times bike power meter will be more responsive to jumps in power and not have that brief lag associated with using the trainer as the power source. I have tried it both ways and believe the pedals respond quicker but that could be in my head.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought an Elite Direto about a year ago. I use it in ERG mode, with an iPad and Trainerroad. I really like this setup and the workouts.

My problem is that once or workout or less, the Direto automatically increases power for 10 seconds or so...I'm not sure that this is the Direto or Trainerroad? I suspect the Direto.

How can I fix this...do I have to update the firmware on the Direto?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [damn lucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No l would not buy another Direto. First one failed after 3 months with the [reasonably common] broken belt issue. The second one has just failed (after 6 months with the replacement) mid workout - unit not functioning at all when electric is switched on. Have checked that the power cable is working (it is), will check if it's a blown fuse somewhere but not holding my breath!
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have my Direto for the 2nd winter training season and I love it....I haven't had any of the broken belt issues (knock wood) that others have had..its been great so far and I would by one again. :))))

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [ChipChopChippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To my previous message - no I definitely wouldn't buy again. The direto started working again and then along came the dreaded clunking noise followed by the pedalling with out resistance i.e. the belt had broken again, that's number 2 :(
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [Birdsperch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Birdsperch wrote:
I bought an Elite Direto about a year ago. I use it in ERG mode, with an iPad and Trainerroad. I really like this setup and the workouts.

My problem is that once or workout or less, the Direto automatically increases power for 10 seconds or so...I'm not sure that this is the Direto or Trainerroad? I suspect the Direto.

How can I fix this...do I have to update the firmware on the Direto?

Thanks.

Go ahead and update the firmware...likely won't fix it, but no reason not to.

I had some similar experience when the trainer would drop connection. My guess was that it would skip a few seconds of power number, then the software would command the trainer to increase resistance to get me back on target. In any case, I fixed it by putting my ANT+ on an extender so it was right by the trainer. Perhaps something similar with you and BT? If you contact trainer road, let them know the exact time in which workout and they may be able to better troubleshoot.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [nickvox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickvox wrote:
Don’t want to jinx it but I’ve had zero issues connecting Direto by BT to my iPhone and mirroring Zwift through Apple TV. Eventually I will cut the phone out of the loop.

One question for other Direto users: Do you use the Direto as the power source or power meter on the bike (I have Assioma pedals)? I read on Zwift insider comments that often times bike power meter will be more responsive to jumps in power and not have that brief lag associated with using the trainer as the power source. I have tried it both ways and believe the pedals respond quicker but that could be in my head.

I've had my Direto for 2 years now. A little over a year ago I started using it with Zwift through bluetooth and AppleTV. I don't need to use the phone but I tend to for easier thumbs-ups or direction changes. I also have Assioma pedals. Initially I would connect the power source to the Assioma pedals but this created some issues during the ride with the controllable trainer. So I just used my Garmin to connect to the pedals and I use Zwift to connect to the Directo as both the power source and controllable trainer. I just compare power data afterwards - the averages are always within 2 watts of each other. I have had no issues since I configured the Direto/AppleTV/Zwift this way. it's been a year. I love this trainer. I love Zwift. Prior to the Direto I had a Wahoo Kickr. Hated it. I sold it within 5 months of having it.
Quote Reply
Re: Elite Direto Owners Thread [Trigirl357] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know this is not a technical support forum but I would like see if someone had any issues like that before contacting Elite costumer service.

Last week during a big thunderstorm we had a lightning strike last than a mile from my home. I had to replace some circuit breakers, some minor things got fried but no big deal.

Next day when turning on my Trainer ( Elite Direto ) no lights....dead - I've left it plugged to the power ( something I never do ) . End up the power source got fried as well...found a similar one at home and it turned on ok, Zwift was able to recognized and connect it but there was no watts or cadence output. Looking at the power source I realized the one I was using had I different Amp spec so I figure out that was the issue, order a new one hopping everything would be ok.

Well.... it was not!

When I tried to used the new one, same issue ( picture attached ) Everything is connected but there is no output. I wondered if maybe I had an ANT sensor problem so I tried to run at Zwift and it was working fine with the cadence sensor. Also Zwift is reading HR sensor fine.

So I guess the only thing I can think of is maybe the Mother board or any electronic component at the trainer got fried as well maybe a circuit brake?

Let me know if someone had anything similar happened to you. Not really in the mood to call another customer service...so if it's something I can fix it would be great
Quote Reply

Prev Next