Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Worlds strongest man. A swimmer?
Quote | Reply
I wonder what he would do in the pool these days?
https://www.express.co.uk/...an-Olympics-swimming

Video on YouTube looks pretty good but at 400lbs. I think he'd break the water.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [bluntandy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He can still swim but his size has got to work against him! Massive respect to the guy for everything he's achieved.

Last edited by: Ian A: Feb 18, 18 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [Ian A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just think it's very cool that he says that swimming is a very important part of his training.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's a great story! And given his 6'3" stature, he certainly could have been highly competitive if he had chosen to continue his swimming regimen. It's fascinating to me how life takes athletes in one direction or another and they still achieve greatness.

Thanks for posting!

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ericmulk [ In reply to ]
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article said he was a champion at 11. I doubt he weighed 220+ at 11 😉

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
The article said he was a champion at 11. I doubt he weighed 220+ at 11 😉

Ah sorry, i did not even see the link to the story, just watched the video. I stand very corrected then, since he held all his AG free records from 50 to 1500 m.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
“I wonder what he would do in the pool these days?”

Sink.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [NateChampness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NateChampness wrote:

Sink.

PLEASE educate yourself before posting. If you watch the video OR read the link, you will observe that he is quite the accomplished swimmer at 400+ lbs who held freestyle records from 50-1500 meters at age 11. The correct answer is literally right in front of you. He does anything BUT sink ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SallyShortyPnts wrote:
NateChampness wrote:

Sink.

PLEASE educate yourself before posting. If you watch the video OR read the link, you will observe that he is quite the accomplished swimmer at 400+ lbs who held freestyle records from 50-1500 meters at age 11. The correct answer is literally right in front of you. He does anything BUT sink ;-)

His flip turns are OK, but his stream line off the wall sucks.

I think he should post more video, look for advice on here and maybe start a thread:

“I have a 24 inch neck, weigh 400 pounds and my arms weigh about the same as your legs...still swimming ok but need your help!!”

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NateChampness wrote:

Sink.

What's your flat-start 50 meter time? Because this 410 lb "sinker" does it in ~32 seconds, which is faster than probably 90% of the people on this forum.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/Submit
adjective
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous;

I’ve watched and re-watched his documentary (as well as the new Born Strong), and am well aware of his accomplishments and capabilities. Since “Eddie Strongman” has actually been out almost 3 years now, plus his WSM win was a number of months ago, I was pleasantly surprised to finally read mention of him on this forum. I certainly was not attacking him, and as a 1-word, flippant reply I don’t see how it could be construed as a put down. It was a joke involving the obvious tendency of someone to, having put a ton of muscle on after their endurance career, tend towards sinking without a lot of extra effort on their part.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NateChampness wrote:

Sink.

There; FIFY. It's called pink font and is very useful in written communication when attempting to relay sarcasm ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NateChampness wrote:
fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/Submit
adjective
synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous;

We have a special text color for that around here. If it's in black, we think you're serious.

"They're made of latex, not nitroglycerin"
Last edited by: gary p: Feb 18, 18 20:26
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [Ian A] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For a guy this size he looks great in the water. In the born strong documentary he mentions not being able to put his socks on!
His deadlift of 500kg is mind boggling.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
His turn probably suffers for the same reason socks are a problem. But he swims a hell of a lot better than me. He's still got the technique even if the body is optimised for something else now.
The 500kg was nuts. He likely put himself at real risk doing that and he did rupture blood vessels.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [gary p] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gary p wrote:
NateChampness wrote:
fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/Submit
adjective

We have a special text color for that around here. If it's in black, we think you're serious.

I realized he was joking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could you imagine the draft you could get off that guy? Also, could you imagine an open water start with him?
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Could you imagine the draft you could get off that guy? Also, could you imagine an open water start with him?

It would be like swinging behind a boat! With the draft he would create you would only have to make a full stroke every min or so. Its amazing what the body can do in all shapes and forms. Never judge a book by its cover!
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cptnemo wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

It would be like swinging behind a boat! With the draft he would create you would only have to make a full stroke every min or so. Its amazing what the body can do in all shapes and forms. Never judge a book by its cover!
But I wonder would he pass doping control ;)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Worlds Strongest Man competition does drug testing.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
His turn probably suffers for the same reason socks are a problem. But he swims a hell of a lot better than me. He's still got the technique even if the body is optimised for something else now.
The 500kg was nuts. He likely put himself at real risk doing that and he did rupture blood vessels.

Acc to the OP's linked article, he has a 25 inch neck but also an 80 inch waist, which is why he can't put his socks on; actually, i'm surprised he can flip at all with that size waist. I wonder though if that is a typo since an 80 inch waist would imply huge amounts of fat, i would think. Or maybe his lats are so big that they come into his waist???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don't test. He has openly discussed drug usage. Nice swimming though for a big guy.
Quote Reply
Re: Worlds strongest man. A swimmer? [turdburgler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turdburgler wrote:
They don't test. He has openly discussed drug usage. Nice swimming though for a big guy.

this is better than future doping possibilities, robotic assist limbs, etc. really at these levels these guys compete in, they have drastically shortened their life spans. it comes to bring back my former thinking when I was trying for a PR in my head... "ok just let me get this PR even if I die crossing the finish line" . I havent hit PRs recently, but I am more glad I am alive :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Cptnemo wrote:
GreenPlease wrote:

But I wonder would he pass doping control ;)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Worlds Strongest Man competition does drug testing.

The only drug ban they've had in recent years was for a recreational drug. They don't test for PEDs. Eddie Hall has been talking about trying Olympic weight lifting next so he would be tested to the same level as the other competitors if he makes the transition. Be interesting to see what he does next.
Quote Reply