Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Love all you offered to him and completely agree with you. It is the fatherly instinct that kicks in. He mentions HR in his post. We all know how individual HR can be, is that healthy is it not for him? No idea. For any young athlete baseline medical is essential. It should include EKG and complete blood work or whatever else sports doctors need to establish that healthy baseline. After that, teams as you mention with his peers along and preferably quality coaching staff that should always include a good PT, strength and conditioning coach and other supporting staff. Injury prevention is key at young age. Teaching the correct form and proper ways to train should come from qualified staff. The habits that young athletes establish early frequently have a far reaching effect on their longevity in sport.
I am sure that a good youth triathlon team can be found quite easily for him. However, no expert here, think there is more value in spending early years as swimmer and XC runner as a part of those teams may prove to be better suited for talented young adults.
As I mentioned above, I am sure that there is a lot of good advice offered here, but ability to understand the context of some of it or plain filter the wrong out may prove to be challenge for some young athletes. What do you think, how long before an advice pops up to maximize his aero by buying $15k bike. Than he goes over to his parents, hey I read I need this bike.....
Trying to imagine my 15 year old coming to me with that idea. Humor meant here,obviously.
I have two swimmers, one in college and one is going in the same footsteps. Thank god those Arena race suits are ONLY $350 a piece, I keep buying them like candy. I gave this child advice as I would to my own.
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
atasic wrote:
I have two swimmers, one in college and one is going in the same footsteps. Thank god those Arena race suits are ONLY $350 a piece, I keep buying them like candy. I gave this child advice as I would to my own.

$350 ea?! are you sure your kids don't read this forum? ;-)

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: 15y/o - 209 heart good? & one golden advice please :) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...

My daughter and her friends "collect" the Speedo version, also cost over $300 a piece. These darn things only work for like 10 meets and take 2 hours with latex gloves to get in.
Last edited by: dalava: Feb 19, 18 11:42
Quote Reply

Prev Next