Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Marathon in Desoto skincooler?
Quote | Reply
Anyone ran a full marathon in the long sleeve Desoto skin cooler?? Or is there an equivalent long sleeve out there? Any advice is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in Desoto skincooler? [scyharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done the Escarpment run in NY with the same one twice.
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in Desoto skincooler? [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I should have asked a little more specifically...were you overheated? Was it worth it for sun coverage? I have a race at end of March here in Florida and researching my options. Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I burn after sun down, it is absolutely worth it. No overheating at all, the sun protection is always there but the cooling effect works better in humid conditions (when wet). I use it on long training runs in addition to races. I have the arm and leg coolers also and use them when doing long rides in summer. I am a fan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I’ve done 2 fulls in one and it’s super comfy. My go to shirt for long runs particularly when warm. I find it cooler than many short sleeve shirts and it’s great for avoiding chafing. Sun protection is a bonus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suffer tremendously in the heat, and while stationed in the South, continuously have to deal with crazy heat and humidity. I find the skin cooler to do a pretty stellar job of reducing some of the body heat. Trick is to get it wet and keep it wet. Before I owned the full shirt, I used the sleeves during IM CDA 2015 when it was 108 and believe they contributed to keeping me going during the run. Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a Florida marathon at 80 degrees in the long sleeve Skin Cooler. Worked well for me and I didn’t feel overheated at all. I did keep dousing with water every other aid station after mile 18... the water cools the material down and it holds that cool feeling for a while.

I have two of the long sleeve shirts and use them all the time for riding and running here in FL.

Blog | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you are looking for more anecdotal evidence, but there's this...

https://www.facebook.com/...s/10156092074357590/
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in Desoto skincooler? [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toastygloveman wrote:

Um, we're supposed to be impressed that the fabric measures cooler than Emilio's skin and when he pours water over it, it measures even cooler? Surely this "experiment" could have been recreated with grandma's wool sweater? I've got some skin cooler stuff I like, but this video seems a bit silly
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in Desoto skincooler? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
toastygloveman wrote:

Um, we're supposed to be impressed that the fabric measures cooler than Emilio's skin and when he pours water over it, it measures even cooler? Surely this "experiment" could have been recreated with grandma's wool sweater? I've got some skin cooler stuff I like, but this video seems a bit silly

Ha! That is true... It is not a very official experiment. Perhaps if he poured water over his skin and measured the difference in temperature between wet skin and wet Skin Cooler, the results would have been more substantial.

Nonetheless, you can't keep your skin wet with water during a race, but you can effectively keep the fabric wet. And if the wet Skin Cooler fabric is upwards of 15 degrees cooler than the surface of your dry skin (plus the added effect of wind against wet fabric), then I think the point of the video comes through clearly enough. Even if there is a "no difference" in feeling cool (which is not the case), you still get the added benefit of sun protection!

I also have a couple of the Long Sleeve Skin Cooler products. The reason I did not give my personal experience is that I have never run a hot weather marathon. And I know the question is really geared towards, in general, feeling hotter wearing long sleeves vs the airiness of short sleeves, despite the material. In that sense, I can personally say that you will not overheat in this garment anymore than you would in short sleeves and I believe it to be a better, cooler, more comfortable experience. BUT YOU SHOULD DEFINITELY TEST IT OUT BEFORE RUNNING A MARATHON IN IT!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done a half in Florida heat wearing a skincooler long sleeve, and my half timeshare equivalent to a lot of people ‘s full times. I was out there for about 3 hours, which is never really fur, but the sleeves helped.

check out my blog http://theswimmingtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: Marathon in Desoto skincooler? [SDCali] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow!!! You guys are awesome!!! Thanks for all of the insight and first hand experience!! Just placed an order for one! Thanks again! Slowtwitch rocks!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hello scyharris,

Glad to learn you placed an order for one of our Skin Cooler Tops. If you have an questions about this piece or any of our other products, please email me: emilio@desotosport.com

As for all of you who wrote such nice feedback, I am deeply thankful for supporting us here at De Soto Sport and for your loyalty to our products.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply