Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

quick word on pool allergies
Quote | Reply
I have suffered with bad allergic reactions to pool/lake water for several years. Have tried everything except nose clip because I thought it would impede my swimming which is marginal at best anyway. well, last night, I did 75 minutes of swim training with nose clip. Took about eight laps to get used to it and was comfortable with it by end of workout. Did not make me any slower. Zero allergy issues last evening and this morning. Yay! That's all I have.
Quote Reply
Re: quick word on pool allergies [TricentralPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swam my first 12 years in the sport with a nose plug, as I have awful liquid/gas management while swimming. The bandaid was ripled off, so to speak, in a rough OWS where I lost it. It took awhile to get used to being without it in a pool since the chemicals were really irritating to me, but now it's been about 5 years since I'd used it routinely.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to the club!
Quote Reply
Re: quick word on pool allergies [hugoagogo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nettie pot to rinse out the chlorine post workout does the job for me. My sensitivity isn't immediate...lots of sneezing a couple hours later followed by major congestion. The Nettie pot handles the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Exactly what kind of allergic reaction do you get? I struggle with breathing in a pool; lakes, etc. don't seem to be an issue so I assume I have sensitivity to chloramines. I have tried nose clips, but they don't help. As I swim and breathe in the air right above the surface of the water, I get an asthma-like reaction. Sometimes takes a 1,000 yds, sometimes within 200. Sometimes I feel my chest closing up still on deck when they have the fountains and slides going in the leisure area.

I'm central PA too, for what it's worth.

el cabrero
Pure American Naturals
http://www.pureamericannaturals.com/
https://www.facebook.com/PureAmericanNaturals/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TricentralPA wrote:
I have suffered with bad allergic reactions to pool/lake water for several years. Have tried everything except nose clip because I thought it would impede my swimming which is marginal at best anyway. well, last night, I did 75 minutes of swim training with nose clip. Took about eight laps to get used to it and was comfortable with it by end of workout. Did not make me any slower. Zero allergy issues last evening and this morning. Yay! That's all I have.

Swimming outdoors has been about the best thing for me. In fact, it is the entire reason I initially left Chicago.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: quick word on pool allergies [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I typically have a very mild reaction to the chlorine and may sneeze a few times, but that's it. Well, last Tuesday it hit me like a ton of bricks. Took me about 3 days to get over the sneezing and congestion. My wife asked me what day they shock the pool (super chlorinate.) I usually swim on Monday and never Tuesday. She bets they do it on Tuesday. I'm going to ask tomorrow (Monday.) My wife has a Nettie pot, but I just can't image pouring water thru my sinuses. I'd rather swim on Mondays.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been wearing one for the last 10 years. Took me several years to figure out it was my home pool. Swimming anywhere else I'm fine without it.
Quote Reply
Re: quick word on pool allergies [dave6768] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dave6768 wrote:
I typically have a very mild reaction to the chlorine and may sneeze a few times, but that's it. Well, last Tuesday it hit me like a ton of bricks. Took me about 3 days to get over the sneezing and congestion. My wife asked me what day they shock the pool (super chlorinate.) I usually swim on Monday and never Tuesday. She bets they do it on Tuesday. I'm going to ask tomorrow (Monday.) My wife has a Nettie pot, but I just can't image pouring water thru my sinuses. I'd rather swim on Mondays.

The Nettie Pot is no big deal. You get more water up your sinuses during a swim workout. I got a Nettie Pot knock off at Costco that works great. It's just a bottle that you fill with distilled water and a saline packet. It actually is pretty soothing.

But that's a good tip on the chlorine shock. I'm going to inquire at my local pool to find out if there is a specific day or schedule for when they add chlorine or apply a shock.
Quote Reply
Re: quick word on pool allergies [lutzman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lutzman wrote:

But that's a good tip on the chlorine shock. I'm going to inquire at my local pool to find out if there is a specific day or schedule for when they add chlorine or apply a shock.

I daresay they probably don't superchlorinate if they have a UV system. As for adding chlorine, all pools I've worked at have auto feeding for either granular or liquid, chlorine is added to maintain a set level continuously. It's vastly different to what most people would be familiar with backyard systems.

For allergies, I'm allergic to dog hair and use Nasonex, it also stops me from sneezing after swimming.
Last edited by: TriguyBlue: Feb 18, 18 21:53
Quote Reply
Re: quick word on pool allergies [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Monday, I swam and had no issues today. Not the first sneeze afterword.

I asked at the front desk about when/if they shock the pool. They said on a normal basis no. The only time they do is if they lose power for a period of time or if someone pukes in the pool. She did not work last Tuesday and did not know what happened. I'm guessing they did.
Quote Reply
Re: quick word on pool allergies [dave6768] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a similar victim of vicious post-swim sneezing. It usually takes a few hours before it starts, but last Friday it knocked me out for the rest of the day, I just could not stop sneezing. I stopped sneezing Friday night, but was still feeling kind of weakened Saturday morning. So, two questions:

1) What kind of nose clip do you guys use? Any tricks or secrets?

2) I asked my pool what kind of chemicals they use. This is what they sent in response: "Pool cl-2,spa cl-5,pool ph 7.4,spa ph 7.2.No chemical that we use causes sneezing unless someone inhales soda ash or bicarbonate directly from the bag." Does that make any sense to anyone? Is there anything else I should ask to pinpoint what exactly is setting me off? Note, I do get sneezing during allergy season too, so I'm likely a bit sensitive to something... (usually, a anti-histamine helps then, but I'd rather not take that year-round)

thank you
Quote Reply
Re: quick word on pool allergies [The Kraut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is the one that is my normal "go to" https://www.swimoutlet.com/...ip-3951/?color=18645

I bought one of these a couple of years ago, but it just seemed like there was too much leakage (but I misplaced my last nose clip this winter, so I retried this nose plug and it it is working fine and actually feels better than the clip) https://www.amazon.com/...-Plugs/dp/B00GAAJGBS

BTW, my problem started with an open water (lake) swim, but after that episode cleared up, I started getting it in the pool just as bad. I do not swim in the ocean much (I did not want to experiment on my one ocean IM or its practice swims), so I do not know if I would be affected there.

Anyway, nose clip has solved the problem. KEY TIP for using nose clip -- wash your nose with soap before using. If your nose (or at least my nose) is the least bit oily, the clip will slide right off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is interesting I have recently in the passed couple of weeks been suffering from same thing. Every time I swim the next day my sinuses are running like a hose and sneezing. I just kept thinking i wasn't getting over a cold. I will have to try the nettie pot as we have one my wife uses or the nose clip. I had never had issues previously and swim in home endless pool. Can you get onset allergies from chlorine? we havent changed anything and our chemical ranges are the same as normal. I guess I could have developed the allergy or possibly from swimming a lot more this year not giving sinuses enough time to recover.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tip: To keep the nose clip from slipping off when swimming use your pull buoy to wipe the skin oil off of your nose and off the inside of the clip after getting in the pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think it’s the chemicals directly that make you sneeze, i think it’s because your nose gets a good clean out at the pool and is easily irritated. Honestly if it’s bad I’d just use Nasonex year round and be done with it.
Quote Reply