Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [A vdLinden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A vdLinden wrote:
I was 1175 so I think Lionel was about 1250. He has definitely been putting in some work this year since I was a bit surprised when he started to pull away from us.

Since you're in Canada, i assume it was a 25 m pool??? Assuming 25 m pool and keeping same pace, that would translate to about 18:00 for 1500 scm, which is 1:12/100 scm. That's solid.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the video feed from his wife, he said he PR'ed the 400 and the 800. He swam 1225m in the 15 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [TulkasTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TulkasTri wrote:
In the video feed from his wife, he said he PR'ed the 400 and the 800. He swam 1225m in the 15 minutes.

Thanks for this update; 1225 in 15:00 implies 1:13.5/100 m or 18:22 for 1500 scm. Still pretty solid.

Quote Reply
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for this update; 1225 in 15:00 implies 1:13.5/100 m or 18:22 for 1500 scm. Still pretty solid. //

Ya just watched it and he finished on the opposite end of the pool, so could not have been a 1250. Couple things, he swam in a non approved suit, but he also swam in a really slow pool, sharing a lane with his mom in some pretty good chop. No dive, but he did have a couple guys with him for awhile, but he ground down the swimmers in the group!!

Great swim under the conditions, but I have a feeling he is a lot like Jordan, one speed they can hold all day, but not those extra gears for those explosive swim starts in the big races. He will have to work on that..

Quote Reply
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Thanks for this update; 1225 in 15:00 implies 1:13.5/100 m or 18:22 for 1500 scm. Still pretty solid. //

Ya just watched it and he finished on the opposite end of the pool, so could not have been a 1250. Couple things, he swam in a non approved suit, but he also swam in a really slow pool, sharing a lane with his mom in some pretty good chop. No dive, but he did have a couple guys with him for awhile, but he ground down the swimmers in the group!!
Great swim under the conditions, but I have a feeling he is a lot like Jordan, one speed they can hold all day, but not those extra gears for those explosive swim starts in the big races. He will have to work on that..

What would you guesstimate Amberger, Potts, and Frodo could do for 1500 scm/1650 yd, in their best tri shape (e.g., not in their pure swimmer days)??? I'd guess around 16:45-ish???

Quote Reply
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [A vdLinden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A vdLinden wrote:
I was 1175 so I think Lionel was about 1250. He has definitely been putting in some work this year since I was a bit surprised when he started to pull away from us.

Since you did the race, how did the scoring work??? The race announcement link says that each event will be "scored on points" but they don't give any details on how the points system works. Can you fill me in???

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What would you guesstimate Amberger, Potts, and Frodo could do for 1500 scm/1650 yd, in their best tri shape (e.g., not in their pure swimmer days)??? I'd guess around 16:45-ish??? //

Somewhere around there, perhaps a tiny bit faster in their triathlon prime. For one data point I remember one Saturday morning at our Carlsbad masters/tri workout, a 1500 tt. Wolfgang Diettrich and Rob Mackel were there, Rob with a Friday night hangover on board. It was a pop swim so no one knew it was coming. Rob and Wolfgang got their own lane, Wolfy left 10 seconds behind. Rob did around a 16;40(SCM) mid, and Wolfgang was about 3 seconds later, so never really getting into the draft. For sure both those guys could have gone 16;15 to 16;30 if they had any notice and prepared for it.

And I don't believe anyone today would beat or drop either of those guys, Wolfgang actually went a high 46 in Kona on Lars Jorgensen's feet one year. And Rob was a hair faster than Wolfgang, all times on the old longer course too..

Quote Reply
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
What would you guesstimate Amberger, Potts, and Frodo could do for 1500 scm/1650 yd, in their best tri shape (e.g., not in their pure swimmer days)??? I'd guess around 16:45-ish??? //

Somewhere around there, perhaps a tiny bit faster in their triathlon prime. For one data point I remember one Saturday morning at our Carlsbad masters/tri workout, a 1500 tt. Wolfgang Diettrich and Rob Mackel were there, Rob with a Friday night hangover on board. It was a pop swim so no one knew it was coming. Rob and Wolfgang got their own lane, Wolfy left 10 seconds behind. Rob did around a 16;40(SCM) mid, and Wolfgang was about 3 seconds later, so never really getting into the draft. For sure both those guys could have gone 16;15 to 16;30 if they had any notice and prepared for it.
And I don't believe anyone today would beat or drop either of those guys, Wolfgang actually went a high 46 in Kona on Lars Jorgensen's feet one year. And Rob was a hair faster than Wolfgang, all times on the old longer course too..

Interesting, thanks for that info. Never had chance to talk to him but I saw Lars around at some southeastern tri races back in the mid-90s. I saw him start the swim at Memphis in May, a race which starts the pros at 5 sec intervals (or used to, back when they still had a pro race.) Man, I could not believe how fast he was turning over; I mean, it was like he was doing a 50 not 1500 m!!! Apparently, he is a very high cadence swimmer. I don't think i could turn over that fast even for a 25. :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The table we were sent maxed out at 1000 points for a 1400m swim, 450w bike, and 5400m. Then it dropped by 50 points for each 50m in the pool, 25w on the bike, and 200m on the run.

According to the results sent out last night they had Lionel at 1230m (825 points), 419w on the bike (938 points), and 5k in 15:20 (875 points).

I was a fun event for February, but I had to laugh a bit that they are calling this an "indoor world record" since I think we are the only ones doing these distances with this scoring grid and things like letting Lionel ride his own bike where we were on spin bikes. But hey when you are 2nd at Kona and the biggest triathlete in Canada you get special perks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
What would you guesstimate Amberger, Potts, and Frodo could do for 1500 scm/1650 yd, in their best tri shape (e.g., not in their pure swimmer days)??? I'd guess around 16:45-ish???

Gomez went 15:56 in 2016 in a swim meet (25 meters pool). He said this was at the end of a hard training week and he won easily, so I guess he could go a bit faster in optimal conditions.

Quote Reply
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just a bit of an update on the Live Streaming - unfortunately it did not happen this year. Thanks for all those who expressed interest, or not. The vast majority of people I sampled here and on my Facebook page were interested.

It's something that will hopefully be incorporated into next year. I did make a connection between a video streaming providor and the organizers. It was all a bit too rushed for this year.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A vdLinden wrote:
The table we were sent maxed out at 1000 points for a 1400m swim, 450w bike, and 5400m. Then it dropped by 50 points for each 50m in the pool, 25w on the bike, and 200m on the run.
According to the results sent out last night they had Lionel at 1230m (825 points), 419w on the bike (938 points), and 5k in 15:20 (875 points).
It was a fun event for February, but I had to laugh a bit that they are calling this an "indoor world record" since I think we are the only ones doing these distances with this scoring grid and things like letting Lionel ride his own bike where we were on spin bikes. But hey when you are 2nd at Kona and the biggest triathlete in Canada you get special perks.

Very interesting, thanks for the details. Agree that the "indoor world record" is a really big stretch. I like that scoring system b/c it gives the swim equal weight with the B and R; if all races did something similar, the final results would be a bit different in most races. I don't know much about power but do you think the 450 watts is the eqv of the 5400 m run in 15:00??? What would 450 w translate to in mph on a flat windless day, for a "reasonably aero cyclist"??? 29-30 mph???

Quote Reply
Re: Who Would Want to Watch Lionel Sanders Race in an Indoor Triathlon? [carlosvl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
carlosvl wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

Gomez went 15:56 in 2016 in a swim meet (25 meters pool). He said this was at the end of a hard training week and he won easily, so I guess he could go a bit faster in optimal conditions.

Carlos - Thanks for this info. I recall you or someone else posting about this sub-16 that Gomez swam, prob back April '16, but I had kind of forgotten. Gomez is definitely a superb swimmer, espec for a tri guy. He would be leading Sanders by at least 5 min coming out of the water in a 3800 m swim.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
He would be leading Sanders by at least 5 min coming out of the water in a 3800 m swim.

Of course and more importantly he is also a solid bet to lead every-one not named Alister Brownlee at the finish line....
Quote Reply

Prev Next