Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Man and Like Jazz? You Have Lower Testosterone Than Men Who Like Rock
Quote | Reply
According to this article, men who like jazz have lower testosterone levels than dudes who are into rock.

To me, this truth is self-evident. ;-)

"Testosterone levels could affect your musical choice, new research finds, and those with more testosterone in their bodies may be more into rock music. The research suggests that your biology has a bigger influence over your personality than you might be comfortable admitting and is the first evidence that musical preference has a biological root.

The study, published online in Personality and Individual Differences, found a correlation between personality type and musical choice, and hypothesized that hormone levels could be the ultimate cause of this connection. For the study, the team looked at 37 males and 39 females and had each listen to 25 pieces of music and then rate them on a scale of one to 19 for how much they enjoyed the song. In addition, the volunteers had their testosterone levels measured through a saliva sample, New Scientist reported.

The study failed to find a link between testosterone levels and musical taste in female volunteers, but for the males a clear link soon emerged. Higher testosterone levels in males was linked with a preference for a type of music which the researchers labeled as “unsophisticated.” This category encompassed genres such as both soft and heavy rock. Individuals with lower testosterone levels were more inclined to enjoy what the researchers labeled as “sophisticated music,” a genre that included both classical and jazz."

I'm sure that rock music is proud to wear the label "unsophisticated." Especially as it backhand-slaps jazz and classical and takes their girlfriends away from them. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Man and Like Jazz? You Have Lower Testosterone Than Men Who Like Rock [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
not in prison? You have lower testosterone than those who are. Congrats

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Man and Like Jazz? You Have Lower Testosterone Than Men Who Like Rock [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
not in prison? You have lower testosterone than those who are. Congrats

So men who like jazz are also more likely to end up in prison? I knew it! ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Man and Like Jazz? You Have Lower Testosterone Than Men Who Like Rock [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
then rate them on a scale of one to 19
---

I'd like to sit in on the PhD think tank that's designing the experiment rating system.
Scientist 1: Okay people, we need to think outside the box on how men and women are going to rate music. A scale of 1-10 just won't do, especially if we're correlating it to testosterone levels
Scientist 2: How 'bout we take it to 11
Scientist 3: What's 11?
Scientist 2: It's one more than 10
Scientist 1: Perhaps if we were measuring big bottoms...
Scientist 4: 1-20?
Scientist 1: Isn't that basically the same as 1-10?
Scientist 5: Dear god, this is stupid. How about 1-19?
Scientist 3: What's 19?
Scientist 2: It's one less than 20

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Man and Like Jazz? You Have Lower Testosterone Than Men Who Like Rock [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
then rate them on a scale of one to 19
---

I'd like to sit in on the PhD think tank that's designing the experiment rating system.
Scientist 1: Okay people, we need to think outside the box on how men and women are going to rate music. A scale of 1-10 just won't do, especially if we're correlating it to testosterone levels
Scientist 2: How 'bout we take it to 11
Scientist 3: What's 11?
Scientist 2: It's one more than 10
Scientist 1: Perhaps if we were measuring big bottoms...
Scientist 4: 1-20?
Scientist 1: Isn't that basically the same as 1-10?
Scientist 5: Dear god, this is stupid. How about 1-19?
Scientist 3: What's 19?
Scientist 2: It's one less than 20

Hahahahahaha! That's probably exactly how it was designed. ;-)

Quote Reply