Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Apple coming back to America [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Both sides of the aisle have agreed it needed to get done for a long time, the arguing was about specifics and who would get credit.

I guess I never saw this from Hillary. She very well could have been contemplating this, but kept it hidden in the wake of the Bernie onslaught.
Interesting that, if there was some agreement here, the bill with that corporate tax cut as its most important factor went through the Congress with 0.0000 votes from Democrats.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple coming back to America [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Both sides of the aisle have agreed it needed to get done for a long time, the arguing was about specifics and who would get credit. Pubs did it, Trump will get the credit, but I think pubs were able to get it done only because Trump had been such a torpedo on everything else last year, that they had to get something through for their own sake.

In defense of Trump, the fact that he got it done is commendable.

Lowering the corporate tax rate was long over due and you can bet it would not have happened under the Democrats, particularly if Bernie Sanders or those similar were elected. I think it would have been done simply because the GOP had control but the point is really that it is under Trump's watch.

We need some of those changes in Canada.

Quote Reply
Re: Apple coming back to America [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
Both sides of the aisle have agreed it needed to get done for a long time, the arguing was about specifics and who would get credit. Pubs did it, Trump will get the credit, but I think pubs were able to get it done only because Trump had been such a torpedo on everything else last year, that they had to get something through for their own sake.

Lowering the corporate tax rate was long over due and you can bet it would not have happened under the Democrats, particularly if Bernie Sanders or those similar were elected. I think it would have been done simply because the GOP had control but the point is really that it is under Trump's watch.

As a registered Dem, I never understood corporate taxes. If I have to pay more for stuff, as a company, somebody else is going to pay more. As they say, "shit rolls down hill."

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple coming back to America [Burhed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Burhed wrote:
I'm having a hard time seeing how this is not a huge win for Trump.

Don't worry he'll say something stupid to distract everyone from his accomplishment. I think he's done some great things that are greatly overshadowed by saying stupid things.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple coming back to America [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
Quote:
Both sides of the aisle have agreed it needed to get done for a long time, the arguing was about specifics and who would get credit.

I guess I never saw this from Hillary. She very well could have been contemplating this, but kept it hidden in the wake of the Bernie onslaught.
Interesting that, if there was some agreement here, the bill with that corporate tax cut as its most important factor went through the Congress with 0.0000 votes from Democrats.
-
You may be right about Hillary, as a quick search shows her plan was to "tweak" corporate taxes and relevant rules, but at the same time Bill was out saying the 35% he instituted was too high and should be lowered. The reality is as you suggest, dems could not run on that, as corporations are evil, while pubs are free to do so, having thrown in with business and the evil rich.
I've, over the last few years, heard several dem congress members agree that rates needed to come down, but partisan politics precludes voting with the other side on most things these days. May also be an indicator that they knew this would be a pub/Trump win. On that front, drilling in ANWAR, and ACA individual mandate repeal made this a considerably bigger win for pubs.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple coming back to America [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

As a registered Dem, I never understood corporate taxes. If I have to pay more for stuff, as a company, somebody else is going to pay more. As they say, "shit rolls down hill."

Personal financial literacy is awful in this country. If you start talking about corporate finance peoples heads would explode. This simple concept is absolutely incomprehensible to people. You might as well have 3 heads trying to explain it.

That said this is only partially true. In high competition industries, it’s very true. The more taxes your grocery store pays the more you’re paying because of the small margin. If you’re Apple I don’t know if it really makes that much difference, they charge based on what the market can bear not what competition allows. But that’s a much more rare case than the average company who is in full competition mode.
Quote Reply
Re: Apple coming back to America [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Grant.Reuter wrote:
If you’re Apple I don’t know if it really makes that much difference, they charge based on what the market can bear not what competition

allows. But that’s a much more rare case than the average company who is in full competition mode.

Are you sure? Both hardware manufacturing and software look to be brutally competitive to me. Huawei is scary.

It's so competitive that Microsoft couldn't compete, despite throwing this much money into their attempt at market penetration:

Last edited by: trail: Jan 18, 18 15:04
Quote Reply
Re: Apple coming back to America [TheRef65] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRef65 wrote:

So you think the historical intent of corporate taxes was to relieve individuals from tax burden? I'm not sure that's true.

It makes some sense for them to be roughly equal from a practical standpoint. If corporate taxes are much lower than personal, then there's incentive for everyone to go out and create "corporations" to run their income through. My in-laws have a bunch of their properties owned by a "corporation" for this purpose.
Last edited by: trail: Jan 18, 18 15:01
Quote Reply

Prev Next