Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

best 'real world' aero helmet?
Quote | Reply
i've been thinking about a new helmet for racing, partially because mine is old and partially because it's a catlike kompact. super comfortable and airy, but an aero cheesegrater.

i'd like a helmet that will train and race some, and do everything from sprint to long course. my position isn't super and is shifting around as i get some niggling physio issues sorted out and return to riding after a few years abroad.

for that reason something like the specialized evade seems a better choice than a full long-tailed, visor'd thing.

difficulty: i have a huge, huge head.

thoughts?
-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Bontrager Ballista is a pretty nice helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't ridden it myself, but Scott Cadence seems like a serious option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So the Evade doesn't fit you at all?
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [Cnasta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cnasta wrote:
Haven't ridden it myself, but Scott Cadence seems like a serious option.

I've got the Cadence Plus. Super comfortable.

Attacking this day with enthusiasm unknown to mankind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The lg p06 is very inexpensive. You could get one of those and a regular road helmet for less than a lot of the aero road helmets

iron_mike wrote:
i've been thinking about a new helmet for racing, partially because mine is old and partially because it's a catlike kompact. super comfortable and airy, but an aero cheesegrater.

i'd like a helmet that will train and race some, and do everything from sprint to long course. my position isn't super and is shifting around as i get some niggling physio issues sorted out and return to riding after a few years abroad.

for that reason something like the specialized evade seems a better choice than a full long-tailed, visor'd thing.

difficulty: i have a huge, huge head.

thoughts?
-mike

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an S-Works Evade which I like. It has pretty good airflow so heat hasn't been an issue. No idea if it's fast for me or not though. The suggestions above are also very good. The Evade I have has that magnetic buckle which saves you about 0.5 seconds in transition, so there's that.
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helo bigredrude and All,

I think this is a new one .... https://www.kask.com/...ts/mistral_24_49.htm

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If aren't a slave to fashion the Giro Aerohead is a good choice. Just skip the visor for training and use it for racing. It is probably one of the better helmets for a shifting position because it tends to work well on a lot of people and the short tail won't kill your aerodynamics if you if you look down a bit.

The Evade and Ballista are good choices for aero road helmets. I don't notice a significant difference in cooling with my Evade.

I have a pretty normal sized head, so I can't be too helpful on size, other than to point out that the P-09 runs small.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Probably there's no best one, but a lot of good options. I have the Giro Air Attack and the Vittoria Ikon and like both. The Ikon is lighter and better ventilated, but it's a tighter fit; I like the Giro's magnetic Shield a lot (I tend to like the shield rather than glasses). If you're on a budget consider the Giant Rivet, easy to find on sale. The Met manta is rather a loose fit, as far as I know
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
If aren't a slave to fashion the Giro Aerohead is a good choice. Just skip the visor for training and use it for racing. It is probably one of the better helmets for a shifting position because it tends to work well on a lot of people and the short tail won't kill your aerodynamics if you if you look down a bit.

The Evade and Ballista are good choices for aero road helmets. I don't notice a significant difference in cooling with my Evade.

I have a pretty normal sized head, so I can't be too helpful on size, other than to point out that the P-09 runs small.

I have a big head (59 cm) such that I do have difficulties finding helmets. The Aerohead in L fits me though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Casco SpeedAiro might be worth a look. I don't know if it's as fast as the Evade, I suspect it's a little slower. On the plus side, it's very comfortable and the larger size will fit pretty big heads (I'm 61cm circumference and had lots of space left over when I tried one on. The visor also seems very good. I haven't used the SpeedAiro myself, just tried it on a few times. I have used a SpeedTime and I like that. It's got a similar harness and the suspended mesh which it has in common with the SpeedAiro provides great cooling. The SpeedAiro would be a very practical helmet if using it for training as well as racing. It's a popular one among triathletes here in Ireland.
Incidentally, there's a photochromic visor option which I'd definitely consider if I was using it as a training helmet as well as racing in it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Giro Vanquish, maybe....mine arrives in a day or two. Solid review from others though.
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think my concern with the Aerohead (though it does look nice) is that i assume the tail/shape will be unforgiving if i'm moving around a lot. partly, again, that's on me: i'm slowly dialing in my position and getting more fit and flexible again, but for now i'm not locking into aero and holding it for hours. it's also about the racing i'm doing - lots of climbing (i'm in switzerland) some super-sprint-type races, some draft legal . . . i'm looking for the helmet that does it all in the most forgiving way possible.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, it’s hard to top the Evade which has proven to be fast. The Ballista doesn’t have as much data to back up the claims.
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own an Evade also. I got a prior year's Quickstep team one at a LBS for about $60 on sale then minus a giftcard I had. The team logo is so small you can't even see it if you're not looking. For $25 after the discounts and gift card......I couldn't say no, since the non-team one was like $50 more.

Love it. Going from some cheapo endurance helmet to this, the noise decrease in decibels at 25mph or so was shocking. Heat management is fine, I wear it in the summer in the south. Let's be honest, I'm not going 25mph in the flat for long. Lol, that's with a tailwind or downhill.
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
.....the noise decrease in decibels at 25mph or so was shocking........ Let's be honest, I'm not going 25mph in the flat for long. Lol, that's with a tailwind or downhill.
Downhill counts, tailwind doesn't!
If you've got a tailwind to get you to 25mph then your airspeed isn't 25mph and thus sound level would be reduced anyway ;)
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol, true. Didn't consider that!

Also, FWIW, an Evade is the kind of thing meant for the sprinters and the guys that will be controlling the break at higher speeds and power for a while. Not sure how the intended body/head position works out for one versus someone trying to imitate a TT pose.

I feel it's helped me snag a few local sprint KOM's. It MUST do something at 34mph!

I've wanted to try out doing my own version of "GCN show does science" where I wear my flappy kit from being 20lbs heavier with a cheapo helmet and training wheels back-to back against my skinsuit, Evade, and aero wheelset. You know, for science and for the LOL's.
Quote Reply
Re: best 'real world' aero helmet? [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Lol, true. Didn't consider that!

Also, FWIW, an Evade is the kind of thing meant for the sprinters and the guys that will be controlling the break at higher speeds and power for a while. Not sure how the intended body/head position works out for one versus someone trying to imitate a TT pose.

I feel it's helped me snag a few local sprint KOM's. It MUST do something at 34mph!

I've wanted to try out doing my own version of "GCN show does science" where I wear my flappy kit from being 20lbs heavier with a cheapo helmet and training wheels back-to back against my skinsuit, Evade, and aero wheelset. You know, for science and for the LOL's.
Mostly for the LOLs if you're doing it GCN style!!! Some of their "tests" are hilariously aritrary and uncontrolled - I enjoy watching their stuff from time to time but they rarely do anything that closely resembles science.
Quote Reply