Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Challenge Roth
Quote | Reply
I signed up for Challenge Roth (for this year, 2018). Anyone done it? I have some questions. Any recommendations on places to stay? Is there a place i can go to get my bike out back together? Anything special i need to be aware of ( i realize that is very open ended, but what do you wish you would have known or done differently). I will be coming from Texas and plan to fly to Frankfurt and take the train to Roth. Do i need a car?
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [christyboh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did it a couple of years ago. It is pretty much impossible to stay actually in Roth - think there is something like one guest house in the whole village. We stayed about 12km outside and hired a car to get to and from.

The race logistics are pretty straight forward in terms of racking before race day, but it is a split transition - the river you swim in is a fair trek out of town. We luckily had some friends with a hire car, so on race morning we all went up in his car, left it there, and then I gave him a lift the next day to pick it up. It is also a bit of a pain getting back out again after - there is one main road through town, so you are pretty much stuck until the whole thing shuts down at midnight.

Don't know if that is much help? What I would have done differently is not parked where I did for after the race - went to a McDonalds car park. Ended up with a 90 min walk through a forest as you couldn't get back out onto the main road, and there is a river inbetween it all. Not what you need when you are shafted after an Ironman. It's not the logistically easiest race in the world - maybe others will be along shortly to give some better advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going this year -- my first time. Flying from CT to Munich then driving to Nuremberg. Got a great deal on a VRBO there. I heard most athletes stay in Nuremberg--about 30min drive and there are trains that go to Roth. Haven't tackled the "race-day" logistics yet
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [Ironmike78] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@Ironmike78 where would you recommend the best place to park is so you can easily get access after the race without getting stuck? I was thinking of parking by the swim start but it looks like it is hard to reach after the finish? Also do you remember if they ferry your T1 bags to the finish line (assume so) or do you have to go and collect them afterwards? thanks! Going this year with whole family so logistics is key so that everybody enjoys the day.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [Gcarriere2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup parking at the swim start is a nightmare for getting your car back - unless you are camping there etc. Our friend who we got a lift with got completely blocked in by 100's of others with the same idea. Basically we parked at the top end of one of the campsites which is just kind of an open field. Thing is, everyone else did, so when we went back up to get the car the next day, we were still blocked in.

I drove in and parked our car in a little side street before then all piling in my friend's. If you need to drive back to the hotel before all the roads open, you need to park out of town and then ride in. I can't remember if there were shuttle buses laid on to get you to the start as we didn't use any of that as above. Just be mindful that it is a tiny little town and there is pretty much one road in and out of it which is closed to traffic on race day. You park in town you are stuck there. I remember when we had finally got back to our car it was a massive diversion around the side of the motorway, lot's of queuing to be let across roads etc etc.

From memory, they bring all your bags back down to T2, so you have them all when you finish. I would probably advise trying to book somewhere as physically close as possible to the race and just ride home after. If you have family, they can maybe try on the day trying to drive as close as the Polizei will let them and just park up? Gives you a km or two perhaps to walk after and they can drive you wherever?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Roth last year, it was an incredible experience. I decided to stay in Nuremberg and hire a car and think it was the right decision. It was great to have my own wheels in the days before the race for getting to swim practice, race village, bike check etc. Nuremberg is a really great town too, so staying there in the old town was cool. Race day was super easy as they offer an early morning athlete shuttle from the race village/finish line to the swim start, so I parked up, got the shuttle, did the race, then short walk back to T2 to get my bike which I threw in the car and could then go and enjoy the festivities. It’s one of those races where you really must stay to enjoy the party. Have a great time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had no problems parking my car near the swim start.
It was a large farmers field. It had porto-loo's and everything.
Bus at the finish transported me and my bike back to the start quick.

However, from the autobahn exit to the parking lot was about 20-30min in traffic... so plan accordingly. (and pee first)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know of people who stay in Nuernberg, Fuerth or Schwabach. Easy logistics if you have a car. However, many participants do home stays. Unfortunately, I never figured out how to find one and got to know about someone offering a home stay by accident. Maybe send a message to race organization and ask them about home stay contacts...

Did the race twice. It is certainly one of the best experiences you can do in triathlon. Unmatched climb at Solarer Hill on the bike. However, new run course since last year. Much better crowd and atmosphere than before, but tough (two significant climbs).
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Btw: New run course again. Well, a modified mix of last year's new and the old one: http://www.challenge-roth.com/...nes-old-and-new.html
Should be good, but still tough: Pretty much in the middle of nowhere along the canal in the beginning and the crowds of spectators later on. But, still with a significant climb at around mile 20...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congratulations! You will love it! I will be going back this year for my 8th time! You should contact the race organization NOW to get on a list for a homestay. I first did a homestay there in 1989 and have stayed with the same family every time. If you can get a homestay in town then you can get by without a car. I don't understand "get my bike out back together" . . . do you mean a bike shop? Is so, Fritz Buchstaller in Hilpoltstein (very close to swim start) is the best. What else do you want to know?

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I didn't even think about a home stay. Great idea! Yes, i was looking for a bike shop. How would i get in touch with Mr Buchstaller?

Any other tips for someone who hasn't done this before?
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See the website: https://radsport-buchstaller.de/ He is GREAT!!!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [motorcity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motorcity wrote:
I know of people who stay in Nuernberg, Fuerth or Schwabach. Easy logistics if you have a car. However, many participants do home stays. Unfortunately, I never figured out how to find one and got to know about someone offering a home stay by accident. Maybe send a message to race organization and ask them about home stay contacts...

Did the race twice. It is certainly one of the best experiences you can do in triathlon. Unmatched climb at Solarer Hill on the bike. However, new run course since last year. Much better crowd and atmosphere than before, but tough (two significant climbs).

The year I did it I stayed with friends all the way over in Regensburg!
It's surprising how fast you can get to Roth on the autobahn in the morning with no traffic though. I don't think I went under 160km. :-D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
christyboh wrote:
I signed up for Challenge Roth (for this year, 2018). Anyone done it? I have some questions. Any recommendations on places to stay? Is there a place i can go to get my bike out back together? Anything special i need to be aware of ( i realize that is very open ended, but what do you wish you would have known or done differently). I will be coming from Texas and plan to fly to Frankfurt and take the train to Roth. Do i need a car?

While I have not done it, my wife did in 2015, and we are going back again this year.

We stayed at the Hilton in Nuremberg and rented a car. It worked out really well for us as the hotel was right by the train line and we could get into town really easily. The train also went all the way to Roth but that wasn't logistically feasible for race logistics of getting a bike there and back, or on race morning. So we drove the ~25 minutes to Roth for race activities. We flew with her bike in a Ruster Henhouse and had no trouble at all with that. There are plenty of booths at the expo offering bike tune services if you find you need a little mechanical assistance.

There is a 50m outdoor pool in Roth about a 1 mile walk from the expo area. If I remember right it cost something absurdly reasonable for a day pass. Like 6 Eu. I went there a couple of times to get a swim workout in while my wife did "check-in" things. It's probably one of the nicest, cleanest, outdoor pools on the planet. Highly recommend getting there for a swim.

Be prepared for an INSANE party when you get to Solerberg. You will feel like a rider in the Tour.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Gcarriere2001 wrote:
@Ironmike78 where would you recommend the best place to park is so you can easily get access after the race without getting stuck? I was thinking of parking by the swim start but it looks like it is hard to reach after the finish? Also do you remember if they ferry your T1 bags to the finish line (assume so) or do you have to go and collect them afterwards? thanks! Going this year with whole family so logistics is key so that everybody enjoys the day.

Parking at the swim start is easy, but they ask you to pay some nominal fee. As a spectator I parked at the swim start, saw my wife exit the swim, then hung around Hilpolstein and Solerberg until I saw her finish her first lap of the bike course. I then went back to the car, caught a quick nap, then drove the ~6 miles back to Roth. I parked in one of the garages in town (was free on race day if I remember right) and walked back to T2 (about a mile from the garage). I was able to catch my wife coming around to finish the ride about then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very good to hear about the new run course. Last year - with the double long climb - was miserable
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JoeO wrote:
Very good to hear about the new run course. Last year - with the double long climb - was miserable

Right. My second climb felt like it would never end. And no relief at all when it when down on the way back ... well, maybe a little bit because you know that the finish chute is coming closer ;-)
Anyway, it will be still a tough part of the course. And I pretty much enjoyed that family and friends could easily stay at the same place to see you four times on the 2017 course...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
christyboh wrote:
Any other tips for someone who hasn't done this before?
In Reply To:

As some others stated before: Logistics are pretty easy everywhere ... if you have a car. And - well, depends on where you come from - everything has reasonable pricing. The pool, rental cars, gas, restaurants/supermarkets, hotels, parking and what else you might need.

What to do, what to keep in mind:
  • The pool in Roth is indeed great and you might have a chance to get in touch with some other participants/pros in the days before (but just as most other pools in Germany ;-))
  • The canal is open for a swim session on Friday and Saturday morning if I am not wrong, otherwise it is closed for swimming.
  • If you want to see parts of the bike course prior to the race, you might want to check the climb in Greding and the decent a few km later to Obermaessing. Other than that, there is hardly any critical section you would need to see before race day.
  • If you want to prepare for the run, go and see the canal and set your mind for being out there alone. Also check the climb to Buechenbach and set your mind for suffering there ;-)
  • Don't miss race briefing and pasta party.
  • Don't miss having a lunch at "Baeckerei Schmidt" in Hilpoltstein (close to Radsport Buchstaller and swim start). It is a kind of the Lava Java of Roth.
  • Be prepared to get completely overwhelmed towards the end of the swim. It is like swimming in a stadium when approaching the final bridge. I get goosebumps while writing about it ;-)
  • Bike course is easy and fast. And nothing can prepare you for Solarer Berg. Don't push too hard while going up, but don't think too much about the race. Just enjoy.
  • Don't miss finish line part at midnight and winner ceremony on Monday.

Just let me know if you should have any other questions about the race or logistics in Germany.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you take a (hire) car, the best place to park is north of the Canal; they open-up a field outside the village of Heuberg for parking. I'd suggest you study Google Maps, or buy a local map, as there are rat-runs you can use, depending on where you stay. I stayed in Freystadt, and was able to get to Heuberg using a back-road & avoid Hilpolstein. I was also fortunate to have my own car there & my wife drove around during the event. I'd look at accommodation in Freystadt, Allersberg & maybe Neumarkt, as you have the option not to use the main roads to get there. I generally treat travelling to these big events like a military exercise -Time spent in recconaissance is seldom wasted :)

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Jan 31, 18 2:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am doing Roth and just got an email about upgrades run course:
ear Maria,

Today we have exactly 150 days to go and we do hope, that you are as excited as we are. Today we would like to inform you first-hand about our run course 2018.

Due to the feedback of our athletes 2017, we have decided to optimise the course again. We will now combine the very best of the old and new course, changing it to a one loop course, kill 170 altitude meters from 330 in 2017 to 160 in 2018, futher will we go back on the legendary canal and all hotspots will remain. Detailed information as well as course maps can be found here: http://www.challenge-roth.com/...nes-old-and-new.html

We wish you a great and injury-free training and can’t wait to welcome you to Roth 2018. Thanks for racing with us.

Yours in sport

TEAMCHALLENGE
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [spintela] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read my blog below, it has a Roth experience. Basically we rented a mini van to drive/sleep in, and camped at a campground on the bike course. It had a little pond to swim in also
Quote Reply
Re: Challenge Roth [JoeO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I last did the race in 2016 (old course) . . . tell me about the climb you talk about.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just cancelled for 2018 (with an almost full refund), but with their Entry Protection Plan I get a guaranteed slot in 2019 (when the dates will be better for me).

Pretty good.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply