Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tour Down Under & disc brakes [Mooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mooks wrote:
A win (Masters Men), 2nd place (Elite Men) and an 8th (Elite Men) at the US CX Nationals this weekend for Cantilever brakes.

So you are saying Canti's made up roughly .05% of the total and disc were 99.5%.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be interested to see what that makeup was last year in Hartford on a course with much worse conditions. Given the Reno course and conditions, the advantage of disc vs. canti's is a lot closer.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by vjohn [ In reply to ]
Re: Tour Down Under & disc brakes [vjohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given the speeds some of the pro's hit on the descents in mountain stages, it would seem like a no-brainer to go disc if possible. However I guess there are still some reasons not to such as the weight penalty, but even that seems to be going away with some of the newer bikes still hitting minimum weights with discs on board.

I rode up and down Haleakala in Maui (10,000 ft climb) twice over the past year. The first time on a Colnago CX-1 with Enve 4.5 wheels and rim brakes and more recently on a new Emonda SLR Disc. While both were fine, the Emonda felt so much better on the descent and the discs were a huge part of it. Being able to brake later, sharper, and more precisely made for a much more confident and speedy descent. The 28c vs 23c Conti's made a difference though too....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
A win (Masters Men), 2nd place (Elite Men) and an 8th (Elite Men) at the US CX Nationals this weekend for Cantilever brakes.

Neither Krughoff nor Powers run cantilevers, and Adam may have won on cantis, but I'm pretty sure he was the only guy on them in the top ten in that race.

You're probably confusing Krughoff (8th) with Page (9th) who was on Cantis, but, well, same bike sponsor as Adam. That ain't a coincidence, and he was on Disc brakes before he switched sponsors.

Powers hasn't run a Canti bike in years.

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tour Down Under & disc brakes [ttusomeone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ttusomeone wrote:
The problem I have (which my guess is a similar problem for a lot of people) is that I've got three wheelsets for my road bike (training, 50mm, and 80mm) and my wife also rides/races, so she has a training set and a 50mm carbon set. It's nice being able to swap wheels between bikes, so I'd not only have to buy her a new bike, but also three new carbon wheelsets. So that being said, it will be a while before I'm on disc.

You could get the rims rebuilt onto disc hubs; whether this would be particularly cost effectively I don't know, as I've not looked into it, but it's something I'd consider with my Zipp rims given the cost to replace like-for-like.

I have been riding road disc (cable) since 2011 on my CX/Commuter and got a Canyon Endurace last year with hydro. Personally I love them, given the amount of rain we get in the UK. My opinion was crystalised in my last race in September in pouring rain, nursing my carbon Zipp wheels down a fast technical and narrow descent, losing places every lap as a result. So if you want a full carbon rim, I think disc is definitely the future anywhere you'll get rain.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply

Prev Next