Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How to make sense of train slow, race fast? [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I think we make the same point. Of course Kipchoges Marathon pace is from another planet. But when you look at his training logs you see that his longruns (40ish k) average around 30s per k slower than racepace. That is brisk running but not ultra hard. (For us mortals it is ultra hard, but not for Kipchoge. You should be able to run 30s off of marathonpace for a long time. And at Kipchoges pace 30s are more than 30s are for us because it is at a lower percentage)
Yes, but don't forget to take into account the type of course he's running (winding dirt roads full of pot holes, mostly bad conditions, sometimes terrible) and at altitude. It works out to a lower effort than race pace but not that lower.

Anyway, I just wanted to dispell the idea that Kipchoge does any LSD of some form. He does not.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make sense of train slow, race fast? [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thorax wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:
Don't get me wrong. I think we make the same point. Of course Kipchoges Marathon pace is from another planet. But when you look at his training logs you see that his longruns (40ish k) average around 30s per k slower than racepace. That is brisk running but not ultra hard. (For us mortals it is ultra hard, but not for Kipchoge. You should be able to run 30s off of marathonpace for a long time. And at Kipchoges pace 30s are more than 30s are for us because it is at a lower percentage)

Yes, but don't forget to take into account the type of course he's running (winding dirt roads full of pot holes, mostly bad conditions, sometimes terrible) and at altitude. It works out to a lower effort than race pace but not that lower.

Anyway, I just wanted to dispell the idea that Kipchoge does any LSD of some form. He does not.

Yeah thats true. And I want to make same point as you. Modern Marathoners are far from LSD. They do jog slowly, but only to supplement their hard 25 mile longruns and stuff like that.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: How to make sense of train slow, race fast? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Sounds like Lydiard's "best aerobic pace"...or (dare I say it?) lots of training in the so-called sweet spot.

I would think that race pace for a marathoner would be in the upper end of the so called sweet spot. Half a min slower per km (which is about 15%) would be more of a upper zone 2/lower zone 3 work out, wouldn't it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:
[look at Kipchoge. His hard days are solid but, for him, not outstanding. So it is more about consistant days at a good pace.

Sounds like Lydiard's "best aerobic pace"...or (dare I say it?) lots of training in the so-called sweet spot.

ToBeasy wrote:
(Triathletes are like marathoners. They are not milers that need to be fresh for every "workout".)

Indeed, as I have mentioned before I find it noteworthy that the polarized training concept was largely based on how people reportedly train for rowing and Nordic skiing, i.e., sports in which being able to achieve very high outputs for a few minutes at a time is key to overall performance.

but this would also a lot like triathlon races would happen on the bike those days... they are for many not real time trials anymore. ( espacially in kona for elites and in gerneral for agers due to large packs in races )
I think maybe paolo sousa is on the money when he said in one of the real coaching podcast that cycling seems to work very well with a polarized approach and running more with a threshold approach.

the thing is when i read this thread , there is so much misconception , people misinterpret various styles and confuse lsd with lydiard etc
i guess overall polarized training has come closer to your sweetspot training in the last few years.

and of course i guess fleck is also very right far too many look for something special and forget the basics of endurance sport .
Quote Reply
Re: How to make sense of train slow, race fast? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
abrown wrote:
I think another issue is what different people interpret "tempo" to be.

Good call. It used to be a proxy for "threshold pace" but now more and more I hear people using it to describe something along the lines of "sweet spot", around 75-90% of threshold power (from a cycling perspective).

"Overtraining" is another wishy-washy term. I see MarkyV using the term here to describe what sounds like being fatigued from the accumulation of significant-but-routine training stress. While I always prefer the term to mean "overtraining syndrome" or a pathological, acute condition where the body no longer responds to training stress in a normal way.

You're absolutely correct. I believe the clinical definition of the term is such that your endocrine system has near zero response to any stimulus such that you cannot even rouse yourself from bed in the morning. I should place more demonstrative qualifiers when using that term, I usually try to.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:
[look at Kipchoge. His hard days are solid but, for him, not outstanding. So it is more about consistant days at a good pace.

ToBeasy wrote:
(Triathletes are like marathoners. They are not milers that need to be fresh for every "workout".)

Indeed, as I have mentioned before I find it noteworthy that the polarized training concept was largely based on how people reportedly train for rowing and Nordic skiing, i.e., sports in which being able to achieve very high outputs for a few minutes at a time is key to overall performance.

This is a very succinct point. In rowing the start is so important and requires maximum power output so maximal power over a few seconds is as important as the sustainable power over several minutes. Nordic skiing requires bursts of maximum effort up short hills. Technique is all important in rowing and Nordic skiing but cycling requires almost no technique. Rowing and Noric skiing use the whole body, cycling only the legs in one simple movement.

Too often people assume all endurance sports are the same. My own view, and I would be interested in Dr Coggans comment, is that endurance cycling is a special case because the weight is unsupported and technique, strength and maximal power output are of far less importance than sustainable power over longer durations.

What works for runners may not work for cyclists. Certainly runners need more recovery and can't train for as many hours as cyclists due to the strains on tendons, ligaments joints and muscles from the weight of the runner having to be absorbed with every stride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
Thorax wrote:
This thread reads like people ready to jump into bandwagon that crosses their path. Claims of science (almost of scientific consensus) without any citation, claims of being in the know about successful athletes when there's plenty information out there directly contradicting it... Just all-round great stuff.

Hence my analogy with food faddists... just as much misinformation, mistaken conclusions, misbeliefs, and religion-like faith abounds in training theories.

Not to mention the mistaken beliefs that 95% of 20 min power, or 60 min power = FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: How to make sense of train slow, race fast? [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been following this with interest - I spent a few years running more slowly (8 min miles) versus now where I run a lot of zone 2 but that zone 2 ends up sub 6-30 Miles

I ran my long runs at this pace last year

I am 47 and ran 3-06 in my last IM whilst feeling pretty shit

More than one way to skin the cat i guess

I cannot fathom running so slow ! Not saying it does not work , clearly it does for some
Quote Reply

Prev Next