Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie and lactate threshold question
Quote | Reply
Hi.

I'm new to the forum, and my friend did the lactate threshold test on a treadmill recently where you measure the average HR for the last 20 minutes of a 30 minute hard run. She's not very fit (yet) but her average HR over that 20 minute period was 175. It seems really high to me and if she calculates her training zones based on that I'm worried that she will be training in zone 3 instead of her 'real' zone 2.

What's a good lactate threshold for a 30 something year old who has so far only participated in half marathons (usually finishing in around 2:05)? I know this is a very general question... but I'd love to hear some input.

Thanks ladies!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie and lactate threshold question [sloweskimo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Um... Anyone?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 43 and my LT hr on the bike is about 174.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HR varies from person to person so I don't think a "good" metric matters much.

If you're worried, have your friend rest and retest.

I do my threshold tests on the track and my average HR is ten beats higher or more whereas my resting HR is in the low forties.

Feel free to PM me if you want specifics.

(Formerly SoCalTricurious, now in the PNW).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
there is no 'average' HR for any given gender or age.

could be a combination of 'test anxiety' where she pushed herself beyond her limits to get a 'good' result.
also, if she is not 'fit', she lacks the capillary network to push that pace on the treadmill

Have never felt that a 30 minute test (last ten minutes all out) was a great first-time test to get to know an athlete.

If she is 'not fit', as you say, but has run a Half Marathon at a 9min pace or so, it may be better to start her training zones based on the classic 226-Age. The key to testing is to test regularly - every 6 weeks or so, then adjust the Zones again.

Other tests can be useful to gauge if the Zones are accurate or applicable (what event is she training for?). Here's a nice list

welcome to the Womens!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie and lactate threshold question [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much Anne, that's extremely helpful.

I wouldn't want to do her down by describing her as "not fit". I just want her to be able to do long runs squarely in zone 2 and I am worried that calculating it from that number will be wrong and then not get her the result she wants (one of her goals is to improve her half marathon time). She's so enthusiastic, I want to encourage her.

I'll calculate the LTHR and max HR zones and look at them side by side although I realise that is a horribly unscientific and biased way of doing things.

And get her to retest regularly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be easier/better for her to go by preceived exertion (RPE) instead of HR Zone.

Try not to drown / rock the bike / hobby-jog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ah, well, none of us are very 'fit' :)
that is why we have accountability buddies. are you a coach? nb
Other factors include resting HR, eating habits, weight/muscle mass, sleep quality, etc.

interesting link here for pace prediction

full disclosure I'm not a runner! but spent many years training by HR until Power Meters came along. After many years of HR data collection, I found that my zones didn't change a whit and my deflection point is still the same since 1989. Got older and fatter...Humph!

In regards to "always being in Zone 2", my question would then be 'for how long'? When is her A race/Half Marathon? This time of the year is good Z2 time...but not for months on end. I know values are very different for runners, but Zone 2 is a Dead Zone for improvement in speed and endurance. Yes, get a solid base in Z2 but Z3 and 4 are where gains are made.

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply