Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cobb Tenace Saddle
Quote | Reply
Has anyone tried this new saddle yet?
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb Tenace Saddle [BoKnowsT1D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm trying it later today on my Groad bike. John's really fired up about this one; I never seen him so excited about one of his saddles.

Jim Manton / ERO Sports
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb Tenace Saddle [Jim@EROsports] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim! Looking forward to your impression. John seemed pretty excited about it in a video from Interbike. It looks very promising. Finally, a narrow off the front saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jim, how is this saddle to be ridden? off the front, or more like a typical road saddle? I notice that it is marketed on the cobb site as potentially both a road and a tri saddle. tried mine for the first ride yesterday, rode 1:45 in "off the front " style. a little sore after the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb Tenace Saddle [docdave1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I took the plunge and picked one up a couple of weeks ago. Right now it’s on my roadie and I have found it to be very comfy in more upright position. I will post an update when I get it on the Tri bike. I wouldn’t judge it on one ride as I’m finding it to be better and better each ride as it breaks in. Regarding where to ride it, it seems like a tweener and either position would work. The good thing is regardless how I’ve ridden it, the junk is still off the front
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd be curious to read a comparison between the Tenace and the fairly similar Randee (I think there was a little discussion of that in another thread).
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb Tenace Saddle [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I originally designed the Tenace as a road type or more upright saddle. I had Women more in mind on this seat and I made the rear of the nose section narrower than the front to give extra upper thigh clearance, this also keeps the rider from being pushed forward by their upper thighs hitting the saddle wings when pedaling. It has a deep relief section and some good air management to help keep the crotch more comfy. I did not really consider it as a design for an aggressive aero setup but over the years I have found that there are no real "rules" about seats, you just have to try them. The Randee is a great saddle for Gravel bikes and for aero bikes that are not real aggressive, it and the Tenace are all part of our "off the front " seats depending on your size. My thinking on both of these saddles is to use them set at level to just a little nose high when using on a Road bike. As the better bike fitters are all starting to understand and recommend, seat comfort is so easily effected by crank length and proper rider setup. A rider that constantly has saddle sores on the same side after trying two to three different saddles, has a leg length difference or a flexibility issue that has to be addressed. Great comfort doesn't have to be illusive but does often require some effort.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb Tenace Saddle [John Cobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So glad to see you here, John. I got a little soreness on your Max saddle after 3 hours, and you recommended the Tenace. I am trying it now, slowly breaking it in. My thoughts are that a narrower nose (vs ISM, or similar) will have to be a little forgiving, with more body weight distributed over less saddle. The Tenace looks like it will accomplish that. Will post here after a break-in period. For riders with issues of inguinal chafing, this narrower nose eliminated that problem completely. I talked to ISM yesterday, and they told me that even their PN series does not have a narrower front end; the arm width remains the same across the PN and PR lines. I did not know that. Cobb saddles offer that narrower front end, in specific models such as the Tenace. May come visit you in Tyler; I am down the road in san marcos.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb Tenace Saddle [BoKnowsT1D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have one to test. It'll go on my bike on Monday for a ride on Tuesday.

ETA I an a female rider who finds most saddles too wide and leg contact with the long sides of V Flow and Plus in particular intolerable. I'm looking forward to the Tenace trial on my TT bike. I'll report back.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Last edited by: Tsunami: Mar 2, 18 14:41
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb Tenace Saddle [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I found something interesting on my 2nd ride on my new tenace. I did not like the front tip of the saddle; when I tried to ride "off the front," I noticed the front tip in an uncomfortable manner. So, I moved the saddle forward 1 cm, and found, for me, a definite sweet spot on the saddle. I found that staying off of that front tip, with my weight just behind it, worked. will post again after 10 hours or so on the saddle. Hope that helps a little.
Quote Reply
Re: Cobb Tenace Saddle [docdave1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My experience with it has been the same. I think it's the lack of depth in the cutout as well as the narrower width. Another factor that gives it it's sweet spot is that it's not flat. There is a cradle. The good thing is the shorter nose, so you are still somewhat off the front even while sitting in the "sweet spot.". It's comfortable for me on the trainer, and anything comfy on the trainer is a major plus. I've been able to ride consistently with no hot spots or saddle sores. I still have not tried it on my TT/TrI bike. I have a feeling it may stay on the road bike. I might try the Randee on the TT/Tri or I may even go back to the JOF 55. I think John may have nailed my issue when he mentioned the leg length discrepancy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have feedback on this saddle, in case you're not hearing much from the 5'3" crowd.
Short summary, nose too long and square, slot opening not long enough toward saddle rear.

Detail regarding it's fit to my parts. I tried both level and nose slightly up and both provided a fine width between the legs while not pedalling, but the nose was too long and square while pedaling. My thighs hit it unless I pedal knee out, which I wouldn't really do, and the engagement of rub went from uncomfortable at lower power to much worse at LT, when my adductor tension increases. My LLD is offset by cleat shimming and saddle contact/rubbing was pretty even left to right.

But I really liked the countour of the bulk of the saddle. The slope seemed like it would relieve hamstring contact, just like you said. I also like that it's thinner, without wings.

Detail regarding fit to my bike. The short opening through the saddle complicates install on my seatpost (as supplied on current Slice model). The saddle has one place to start, with front/nose end of rails contacting the clamp. This is the only position that allows access to the top facing clamping bolt. The top bolt got set, the saddle was slid forward to a rideable position - which full covers the top bolt, and the other clamping bolt that is accessed from underneath, was then tightened. This made adjustments quite a pain and this saddle is the first one of open design I've come across with this much complication.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
John,
I sure would like a Randee (or perhaps a Tenace) with the DRT side panels for my Fargo. I ride that thing everywhere, except technical stuff. I even put some aero bars one it for cold weather training. (It’s slower, so it’s not as cold.). I have an SMP on there, but the nose is not so comfortable, but I don’t want to tear up a Randee if I fall on a rocky trail.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the Cobb Joff 55...love it. Best saddle I've ever owned comfort wise. No doubt this is a good one too.

*Quick story on John Cobb, about 25 years ago at Gulf Coast half in Florida at the expo, I tried to find an American Classic hub "endcap" for the front axle. Left one of mine at home so couldn't use my race wheel without it. Approached John Cobb (didn't know him at the time--but he had a bike shop from Louisiana at the time), he only had a REAR one. Thinking quickly, he sawed it in half with a hacksaw & I was able to race & it worked perfectly! This guy is innovative and reminds me a lot of Dan E. in that, he seems to always be thinking of ways to improve on what's out there. Thanks for starting your saddle line John, my arse thanks you each time I'm on that bike!
Quote Reply