Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So test #2 went better. I pointed a small fan at the resistance unit, and was also much more conservative with the opening. Ended up averaging the same watts, but instead of looking like a mountain descent the power file was more like a steady climb, finishing at 220 or so watts instead of 186.

Probably could have opened it up a bit harder, but it's a good enough number to train off of for the next few weeks.

Thanks all for the help!

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe this should be a separate thread, but...how is the Xert prediction of FTP working out? I *think* that the web service does this calculation, but I am sure that there is a Garmin Connect IQ app/widget/whatever that estimates your FTP in near real time during a ride. I understand that it requires a few hard efforts to make a useful estimate, but nothing like a 2 x 8 or 1 x 20. I'm semi-injured and it is the off season, so my intensity on the trainer has not been high. Still, with a moderately strong effort, I get a Xert perdicted FTP that's low, but not absurdly low. Once I get back to a few full throttle Sufferfest sessions, I'll be interested in how this works out. Anyone else?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
well, i'll start with the PM, but I suspect that my unit is drifting even after warming up. I don't think I'm quite as bad at pacing as the numbers I have are showing.

Can you find a used KKRM? They're available for under $200 in the US on Craigslist, and work very well with VirtualPower. Still much cheaper than a smart trainer, or even a used PT.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said above, it seems to be ok once I put a fan down by the resistance unit. I'll get a pm eventually, not in the next 12 months though.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...0ftp%20test#p5392838

warwicke36 wrote:
Did Trainer Road's 20 Minute FTP test tonight... It was well.. painful as anyone who does them knows... Here are a few snip-its of my inner monologue throughout the test.

Warm up ... "wow this is really boring, can I just skip to the test or will that mess up the results"

Leg openers ... "This is going to be cake, I'll start 10-15 watts over current FTP and see if I can hold it"

5 minute "clearing effort" ... "boy my legs feel heavy today, maybe I should bail and take the test tomorrow"

Begin Test ... "Legs feel better, Time to dig in"
2 minutes in ... "How long is this test again, 20 minutes?
4 minutes in ... "If I bail out now I haven't ruined myself for tomorrow"
6 minutes in ... "Oh my god, I should have eaten better today"
7 minutes in ... "Water, I need water"
8 minutes in ... "What the fuck are minutes? who invented them? They suck, I hate them.
8.5 minutes in ... "MINUTES! there's nothing minute about them... they are unbelievably long... They should have named the eternities. How many of them do I have left? Holy shit! For real? This sucks."
9 minutes in ... "ahhhhhhhhhhh!"
10 minutes in ... "OK half way there. Phew! Oh no, I'm only half way done? "
12 minutes in ... "B B B Bird bird bird, bird is the word" "Can you go insane while riding a bike?" "Has that ever happened to anyone?" "Is it happening to me right now? how can you tell if you're going insane?"
14 minutes in ... "I wonder what my heart rate is right now.... I should have worn a heart rate monitor. Actually....maybe I don't want to know..."
16 minutes in ... "GO GO GO GO GO"
18 minutes in ... "HARDER!"
18.5 minutes in ... "I'm 40 watts above FTP" "I went out too slow" "I had so much more"
19 minutes in ... "only 1 minute left? "that's not enough time to make up for that middle section" "GO!!!"

DONE .. "I never wanna do that again"

Cool Down... "I had too much left in the tank. I bet my real FTP is higher than that by a few watts"

Reviewing my Data on T.R.s website "I should retest under better conditions, maybe in a week or 2"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pace the 20 min FTP test like a 1500m swim or a 5K run. It's all the same identical pacing for all three of them. No difference Depending on your aptitude in each sport one you might be 15 min the swim 20 min on the bike and 25 min on the run or 15 min on the run, 20 min on the bike and 25 min in the swim, but more or less pacing is the same. No rocket science there sir.

I would not bother with 2x8 min. Just go straight to 20 minutes. Both are equally repeatable and the latter requires more mental focus. There is value in the brain training part to tolerate the lactate and the pacing exercise is more valuable....if you overcook the first 3 minutes, you have 17 minutes to deal with the overcooking, vs only 5. And if you undercook the first 3 minutes, you have plenty of time to catch up and rev it up between minutes 13 and 20. Don't even bother with 2x8 min....20 min is more applicable to triathlon pacing numbers anyway given that your shortest tri race is 60 minutes (sprint tri) and there is very little anaerobic contribution. In an 8 minute block you can still skew the numbers with a 30 second anaerobic surge at the the end. half a minute on 8 minutes is 1/16th or ~6 percent which is big enough to skew your numbers (6 percent is almost 20 watts on 300W)....you want zero anaerobic contribution. I personally find that 30 minutes is the most meaningful test for anything Olympic tri and above.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 8 minute test isn't supposed to be purely aerobic. That's why you use 90% of that number as the Steady state aerobic number.

I know what you're getting at, but check your numbers. An anaerobic surge isn't going to skew the numbers that much. In an 8 minute test, 7:30 at 200 watts followed by 30 seconds at 300 watts still results in an average of 206 watts.

Put that same 30 second surge on the end of a 20 minute session at 200 watts and the average is 203 watts. Just a 3 watt difference.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 26, 17 20:00
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [RCCo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My brother was a rower and told me about a 2k erg test where he actually passed out at for a few seconds, was woken up, and continued to his all time PR. This all while the whole team is gathered around him yelling.
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [AverageDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Time Crunched Cyclist book.

I use the 8min tests to do the plans also. The 8min tests makes for some brutal power intervals later. Probably not for the Tri version of the book, I'd suspect not the emphasis on road race surges.

To get a good idea of my gains after doing 11 week plans, I do a 20min and an hour.

The 95% is fairly close, for me.

My advice also is to do the 8min test both on your fluid AND outdoors. Why? All that air outdoors and difference in that the fluid doesn't have a huge flywheel.

If you get a meter for the bike, and use the indoor result outdoors, you'll short change your intervals a good 5-10% of the power you should do intervals at outdoors.

In the gym the Cycleops 400 Pro with powertap and huge fan on me are DAMN close to a Stages on the bike outdoors. My Cycleops Fluid 2 with puny fan at home is about 10% lower on power.

My last 20min test I did I used my hands to help unclip from the Cycleops pro bike.

Taste blood? Taste your lunch? Good job. Don't forget to drink during the test, hard enough tests you will lose enough fluid to thicken up and elevate your HR.

Long steady state can be mentally tough, but I'll still take it over peak-fade's with minimal RBI. Essentially attack and hold-off drills. Or training on chasing breaks.
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Inner_monologue_of_an_FTP_test_P5392838/?search_string=inner%20monologue%20of%20an%20ftp%20test#p5392838

warwicke36 wrote:
Did Trainer Road's 20 Minute FTP test tonight... It was well.. painful as anyone who does them knows... Here are a few snip-its of my inner monologue throughout the test.

Warm up ... "wow this is really boring, can I just skip to the test or will that mess up the results"

Leg openers ... "This is going to be cake, I'll start 10-15 watts over current FTP and see if I can hold it"

5 minute "clearing effort" ... "boy my legs feel heavy today, maybe I should bail and take the test tomorrow"

Begin Test ... "Legs feel better, Time to dig in"
2 minutes in ... "How long is this test again, 20 minutes?
4 minutes in ... "If I bail out now I haven't ruined myself for tomorrow"
6 minutes in ... "Oh my god, I should have eaten better today"
7 minutes in ... "Water, I need water"
8 minutes in ... "What the fuck are minutes? who invented them? They suck, I hate them.
8.5 minutes in ... "MINUTES! there's nothing minute about them... they are unbelievably long... They should have named the eternities. How many of them do I have left? Holy shit! For real? This sucks."
9 minutes in ... "ahhhhhhhhhhh!"
10 minutes in ... "OK half way there. Phew! Oh no, I'm only half way done? "
12 minutes in ... "B B B Bird bird bird, bird is the word" "Can you go insane while riding a bike?" "Has that ever happened to anyone?" "Is it happening to me right now? how can you tell if you're going insane?"
14 minutes in ... "I wonder what my heart rate is right now.... I should have worn a heart rate monitor. Actually....maybe I don't want to know..."
16 minutes in ... "GO GO GO GO GO"
18 minutes in ... "HARDER!"
18.5 minutes in ... "I'm 40 watts above FTP" "I went out too slow" "I had so much more"
19 minutes in ... "only 1 minute left? "that's not enough time to make up for that middle section" "GO!!!"

DONE .. "I never wanna do that again"

Cool Down... "I had too much left in the tank. I bet my real FTP is higher than that by a few watts"

Reviewing my Data on T.R.s website "I should retest under better conditions, maybe in a week or 2"

Did one this AM... almost correct. They left out, am about to puke at about 18 minutes....
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Accidentally hit post with a blank post. Maybe I just found a bug?

Anyway, I'd like to see some of these test's data. I wonder if we'd see HR and power data that looks like a yoyo during the test going up and down..........or if we'd see a pancake flat power figure with a last 2 min surge and a steady rising HR to the upper 180's by the finish.
Last edited by: burnthesheep: Nov 27, 17 10:10
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
Accidentally hit post with a blank post. Maybe I just found a bug?

Anyway, I'd like to see some of these test's data. I wonder if we'd see HR and power data that looks like a yoyo during the test going up and down..........or if we'd see a pancake flat power figure with a last 2 min surge and a steady rising HR to the upper 180's by the finish.

I'll bet steady flat power and gradually rising HR. There would be a MUCH different commentary with yoyo power surges.
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll see if I can export the data file somehow from the last test. No HR though, don't have my monitor yet.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me it's pretty much jump to 173 BPM, maxing out at 187 (max HR is 195-ish)... The line was pretty steady throughout the workout, with it increasing steadily towards the end of the workout.
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [Tri 2 Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me, mandatory songs playing in the last 5 min are LMFAO Sexy and I Know It and some Europe, Final Countdown.

I bet having a cheering squad is worth at least 10 watts.

I bet I went too easy last try. I threw a lot of watts into the last minute or so. That cadence fell as I fatigued.
Not all of the warmup is here: https://www.strava.com/activities/1273717088

It seems like a sick thing to try, but kinda want to do an out of saddle low-rpm climb ftp test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
An anaerobic surge isn't going to skew the numbers that much
An anaerobic surge will definitely skew the numbers if the athlete is either a pure sprinter or has high anaerobic capacity and thus be able to do the entire 8 minute session using mostly anaerobic power.
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

An anaerobic surge will definitely skew the numbers if the athlete is either a pure sprinter or has high anaerobic capacity and thus be able to do the entire 8 minute session using mostly anaerobic power.

If someone can do 2 8 minute tests on mostly anaerobic power, that is DAMNED impressive....

Switched my cranks over to 165's last night, should be restesting tonight. left saddle height as is because I think my seat was a smidge high. I'll lower it when I put the 170's back on...

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
The 8 minute test isn't supposed to be purely aerobic. That's why you use 90% of that number as the Steady state aerobic number.

I know what you're getting at, but check your numbers. An anaerobic surge isn't going to skew the numbers that much. In an 8 minute test, 7:30 at 200 watts followed by 30 seconds at 300 watts still results in an average of 206 watts.

Put that same 30 second surge on the end of a 20 minute session at 200 watts and the average is 203 watts. Just a 3 watt difference.

Actually the more I think about the skew, I have had some athletes empty the tank during a bike test and spend the last 1 min hammering at 400W but closing the last 15 seconds at 800-1000W....that's when that final minute skews the results. Even if you take 90% of it, you are taking 90% of an artificially jacked up number from fast twitch component. On the other hand, if the 250W athlete spreads things over the last 4 minutes and rides them at 290W then that's legit part of their FTP as their undercooked the start.
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's when you throw out that last 60 seconds for purposes of figuring out the aerobic threshold. in a 20 minute test at 250 watts, that last minute (45 secs at 400 and 15s at 1000) bumps the average to 265 watts. in the 8 minute test, the average gets bumped to 287 watts. either way, it's overestimating.

Carmichael gives an example in the book of what the power curve "should" look like in a well run test for this purpose. A 750watt increase for 15 seconds is not a "good" curve, not for this purpose anyway. The good field test shows a flat power profile for the first 8 minute interval, 10 minute recovery, and a mostly flat 2nd 8 minute interval with a slight dropoff at the very end.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Errrrm, no one is doing an 8 minute effort using mostly anaerobic power.

Admittedly I'm no sprinter, but having a quick look at my data in WKO4, the modelled ananerobic-contribution for an effort of 8 mins duration is 23 out of a total of 258 Watts i.e. a 9% contribution; anything longer than 60 seconds is primarily aerobic.

Sure, at ~9% (or 23W in my case) an anaerobic surge is enough to skew your calculated FTP considerably and the 90% fudge-factor is designed to account for that albeit with varying degrees of accuracy depending on your relative strengths as a rider, but that is why longer test protocols are generally recommended where possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
JasoninHalifax wrote:

Actually the more I think about the skew, I have had some athletes empty the tank during a bike test and spend the last 1 min hammering at 400W but closing the last 15 seconds at 800-1000W....that's when that final minute skews the results. Even if you take 90% of it, you are taking 90% of an artificially jacked up number from fast twitch component. On the other hand, if the 250W athlete spreads things over the last 4 minutes and rides them at 290W then that's legit part of their FTP as their undercooked the start.
I haven't done an FTP test since early summer but I did several between Oct 2016 and April/May 2017. My best 20min average was 303W giving an estimated FTP of 288W. I'm using that figure in the following example of how my FTP tests tend to go:

Before starting, I look at my last test and how I've progressed, or not, and consider what I think should be a reasonable expectation. In this case I think I should be able to average 298W or better.

First 2 mins: Aim just above expected average and maybe overshoot a bit: 305-315W. It starts off easy but I quickly start doubting my form.
2mins - 6mins: I drop a little but manage to hold onto an output around 295W
-300W. I watch my early ~310W average start to subside towards 300W but remain determined I can stay close enough to 300W that my average will stay above 300W thus exceeding my expectations.
7mins - 11mins: I start to fade. Not halfway there yet and it's already really starting to hurt. My power drops first to the low 290s and then even into the mid 280s. My optimism was misplaced. I can't hang on. It's all falling apart. By half way point of 10mins, my average power has dropped to 297W. I start worrying I won't achieve my target and may struggle to finish the test with any sort of power left in my legs.
12mins - 16mins: I manage to halt the decline and start to drag my power back up into the mid 290s again but I'm suffering....a lot. My average stabilises around 295-296W.
17mins - 18mins: With the end starting to come into sight I find the will to add a few watts. I get back to 300W and hold it. My average is 296W.
19th minute: I smoothly accelerate from 300W up to about 330W. I'm trying but failing to block out all sensation from my legs. I'm gasping for air but the fact I'm able to raise the power acts as a painkiller. With a minute to go my average is up to 298W, my initial target!
20th minute: I debate whether I can last another minute at current power level. I decide I can. A few seconds later I wonder how my legs would respond if I release the safety regulators and throw everything I have at them. With 40 seconds or so remaining I attempt to surge again and get up to 380W. I try and hold it, and manage. With 20 seconds remaining I surge again and get to 400W. My vision is very blurred. My legs are agony, but my adrenaline is flowing. I both love and hate this point. A few seconds later I try one more time all out, no holds barred and get to 450W. The power almost immediately starts to fade. It takes a huge effort to try and hang on those last few seconds, my legs are either on or off, there's no real control. I just want to stop. I just manage to hang on as the clock hits 20mins. Blood hissing in my ears, my heart pounding, my legs aching, eyes blurry and my head spinning.
Average power 303W. New FTP 288W.

That's how my FTP tests have all gone. I'll really struggle to go any harder early on but the last 2 minutes and the last minute in particular will make a huge difference adding maybe 7W total to my average over the 20mins and the last minute raises it all of 5W.

I tend to be the same in races. No matter how exhausted I am, I can always manage a surge at the end. In races the criticism I occasionally get is of course that I didn't leave it all on the course. I could have pushed harder. I shouldn't have anything left for a fast finish....well, I seem to have one extra gear that I just can't access any earlier. I don't think it's a psychological thing but who knows. To me it feels like it's all adrenaline and once I light the fuse there's no going back. One way or the other, I will have to stop entirely to recover after a minute at most. I do absolutely believe this makes my 20min average derived FTP significantly different than the value I might get if I did a true FTP test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
I do absolutely believe this makes my 20min average derived FTP significantly different than the value I might get if I did a true FTP test.

I played around with this a little last year by using best bike split to create simulations of Olympic-tri bike courses at various target powers & seeing if I could complete them.

Worked my way up to completing a couple of ~60min 275W/270W (NP/AP) courses against an FTP of 290, probably could've nudged a little closer, but I do remember being pretty wobbly after those.

I view the 20-minute result as a prediction of what my ftp could be if I work on it, really bury myself & am pretty fresh.

Out of the gate 5% below the test isn't enough for me to hold it for an extended time, but 10% is just about viable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have had similar results in both long and short tests. My last 20' test earlier in the month I was able to hold it pretty steady for most of it, +/- 5 Watts but in the last minute I could only go another 30% over my average for the first 19' verses your 48.5%. Based on that I think I did pretty well. I think many of us have that extra gear at the end. I've done maybe 5 FTP tests over the last 3 years or so and have yet to tank at the end. Not sure if that's good or bad.
Quote Reply
Re: Just finished my first ever bike power test [TrierinKC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
power increased by 8 power units* (about 4%) today after swapping to 165s from 170's, but only did 1x8 rather than 2x8. I felt good enough to repeat the test at the same effort, or close to it anyway, but got interrupted....

I'm referring to them as power units now, because I have no idea how close each unit is to a watt. for all I know, my actual watts could be 300, they could be 120. I have no way of determining that at this time.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply

Prev Next