Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pain on lateral side of ankle
Quote | Reply
I'm interested to find out if an adjustment to my cycling cleat can remedy this problem (pain which feels like a mild to moderate ankle roll on the lateral side slightly above the ankle).

Pain isn't running related because I haven't run at all for 11 weeks.

Not everything is as it seems -Mr. Miyagi
Quote Reply
Re: Pain on lateral side of ankle [chxddstri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason you think that the pain is related to your cycling/cleat position? Have you recently changed anything?
Quote Reply
Re: Pain on lateral side of ankle [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Zissou wrote:
Is there a reason you think that the pain is related to your cycling/cleat position? Have you recently changed anything?

Yes. I had Look Keo easy pedals for many years, and recently switched to Shimano 105.

The cleat is held more rigid with the new pedals. Also, due to an unrelated (I think) foot injury, plantar fasciitis, i haven’t run for quite a while. Seems like biking could be the only culprit.

I did change the cleat position slightly. I moved it ever so slightly forward to the front of the show, and rotated it so that my foot was pointed inwards less (less pigeon toed). After a trainerroad workout (vo2max 3 min intervals), the foot doesn’t seem to bother much.

Not sure if I “fixed” it or what, but wondering if others have had an issue like this.

Dr google makes my symptoms sound like peroneal tendonosis. I have no idea.

Thanks for your response!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FWIW, bike shoes are fairly rigid, but I have folks with PF move cleat back as far as it will go or even use extenders to reduce lever on ankle/foot plantar flexors for the PF. The lateral symptoms could be as something like less float in new pedals, and inverted or varus foot position, using these muscles on the upstroke on a tough workout as you fatigue. The thing about the peroneals is they as quite small and are designed to only be on for a splash during walking/running so any sustaining contraction of them often results in strain (muscle and/or tendon).

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Pain on lateral side of ankle [ktm520] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ktm520 wrote:
FWIW, bike shoes are fairly rigid, but I have folks with PF move cleat back as far as it will go or even use extenders to reduce lever on ankle/foot plantar flexors for the PF. The lateral symptoms could be as something like less float in new pedals, and inverted or varus foot position, using these muscles on the upstroke on a tough workout as you fatigue. The thing about the peroneals is they as quite small and are designed to only be on for a splash during walking/running so any sustaining contraction of them often results in strain (muscle and/or tendon).

Cheers!

Thanks for the input!

Please clarify on the term "inverted or virus foot position". What does that mean?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chxddstri wrote:
Zissou wrote:

Yes. I had Look Keo easy pedals for many years, and recently switched to Shimano 105.

The cleat is held more rigid with the new pedals. Also, due to an unrelated (I think) foot injury, plantar fasciitis, i haven’t run for quite a while. Seems like biking could be the only culprit.

I did change the cleat position slightly. I moved it ever so slightly forward to the front of the show, and rotated it so that my foot was pointed inwards less (less pigeon toed). After a trainerroad workout (vo2max 3 min intervals), the foot doesn’t seem to bother much.

Not sure if I “fixed” it or what, but wondering if others have had an issue like this.

Dr google makes my symptoms sound like peroneal tendonosis. I have no idea.

Thanks for your response!

Why did you initially change your cleat position? I would change it back to where it was, and switch our your cleats to the yellow shimanos which will give you more float.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain on lateral side of ankle [Zissou] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Why did you initially change your cleat position? I would change it back to where it was, and switch our your cleats to the yellow shimanos which will give you more float.[/quote]

I didn’t change my cleat position, originally...and began to have problems. The change in cleat position that I am referring to is AFTER pain started...so I experimented, and so far it seems to have helped.

I suspect, as you do, that the less float with the new pedals may be causing aggravation. I am currently using the cleats that came with the pedals. They are black with yellow knobs on the three corners of the cleat. I will see if I can find a cleat with more float. Thanks.

Last edited by: chxddstri: Nov 23, 17 8:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Inverted on varus position of ankle in relation to foot (looking at it from the rear) would be a position that is similar to rolling your ankle laterally (supinated position). You will find many pictures online. Strain on the peroneals can happen from a stretched position when the foot is in too much inversion from natural foot position or use of a medial wedge on cleat and occasionally in the opposite extreme when the foot is excessive pronated position as the peroneals are often in a shortened position making them actively inefficient and can cramp in longer efforts.

The former is more common IMO especially with hard efforts, but I would still go after float first. BTW, sometimes it is just takes some accommodation to "the new" and intervals just may have overcooked it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Those are the 6 degree float cleats. That's the most float you will get with Shimano. Keo red cleats give you 9 degrees.

chxddstri wrote:

Why did you initially change your cleat position? I would change it back to where it was, and switch our your cleats to the yellow shimanos which will give you more float.

I didn’t change my cleat position, originally...and began to have problems. The change in cleat position that I am referring to is AFTER pain started...so I experimented, and so far it seems to have helped.

I suspect, as you do, that the less float with the new pedals may be causing aggravation. I am currently using the cleats that came with the pedals. They are black with yellow knobs on the three corners of the cleat. I will see if I can find a cleat with more float. Thanks.[/quote]
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're not a youth anymore, you unfortunately could be dealing with ankle arthritis. Talk to you doc about xrays and/or MRIs to check it out, especially if you've had ankle injuries in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Pain on lateral side of ankle [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
If you're not a youth anymore, you unfortunately could be dealing with ankle arthritis. Talk to you doc about xrays and/or MRIs to check it out, especially if you've had ankle injuries in the past.

I was kinda worried about that. I’m 47 years old, and seem to be experiencing much more soreness/tightness when first waking and even getting out of the car. Once I get moving, feel pretty darn good, but those first few minutes...uggh.

Arthritis is prevalent in my family.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it is possible. but as someone who has had a trimalollear fracture with dislocation, i have a lit is experience with ankle pain. there are two things thst are more likely ley driving your lateral ankle pain

1. not having strong enough for muscles, which you can remedy by using a resistance band and mooching yoyr for as far left against pressure and then far right against pressure and two-way 2x more on each foot.

2. not having enough arch support which an orthodics AFTER you get your arch position adjusted with temporary lifts (a good podiatrist will do it this way) will help with.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Re: Pain on lateral side of ankle [Sanrafaeltri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanrafaeltri wrote:
it is possible. but as someone who has had a trimalollear fracture with dislocation, i have a lit is experience with ankle pain. there are two things thst are more likely ley driving your lateral ankle pain

1. not having strong enough for muscles, which you can remedy by using a resistance band and mooching yoyr for as far left against pressure and then far right against pressure and two-way 2x more on each foot.

2. not having enough arch support which an orthodics AFTER you get your arch position adjusted with temporary lifts (a good podiatrist will do it this way) will help with.

I say it's still more likely that he has arthritis, given his age 47, which is around the time these things tend to crop up. Strengthening the ankle muscles is always good, but is unlikely to improve the situation if its arthritis.
Quote Reply