Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess his current season approach with Kona and then his validation IM shortly thereafter servers as a self protecting measurement. When I saw the Arizona splits I thought, he just cruised through for the win and backed off once that was in the bag. Now I learn that he wanted to push as hard as usual and just didn't have the sap. When there is the sound of the starting tun, this guy only knows one thing: push as if there was no tomorrow. So its a good thing he has a year now to gather all the energy for the next epic effort in Kona.

Its so interesting to read his insights and how he learns and his knowledge develops.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
but in typical age group fashion (stuff most of us would do), he still gives it a go and fades on the bike....gets on the run, knowing he is a bit more toast from Kona, but still gives it a go and "fades". Basically he did what every non Kona qualifying age grouper who has KQ fitness does...goes for "good day numbers" when his body is not on.

He won and went 754 sounds like he was having a great day and was not like a typical AG at all
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [Ian in Oz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian in Oz wrote:
but in typical age group fashion (stuff most of us would do), he still gives it a go and fades on the bike....gets on the run, knowing he is a bit more toast from Kona, but still gives it a go and "fades". Basically he did what every non Kona qualifying age grouper who has KQ fitness does...goes for "good day numbers" when his body is not on.

He won and went 754 sounds like he was having a great day and was not like a typical AG at all

Forget about his times and numbers and look at the trend graphs that he himself kind of jokes about... Those graph trends are exactly the trajectory that many see when they are not one but push through. Lionel just goes faster than most people when he is off.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:
Sanders only gets love on ST if he talks about his awesome biking. Since his blog posted about an awesome swim, no one hear cares. If he posted on his blog that he's flipping sponsors over to Cervelo/Trek/Specialized, there would be 500,000 posts. Him talking about working on his form in his endless pool = NO STORY HERE PEOPLE!

He did point out that he has been able to use his endless pool mirror to see what he is doing and instantly get feedback and try things. He also talked about swimming slower at 1:45 to go faster at race speed, something a few people were just discussing on one of the swimming oriented threads around here.

Hmm, I wonder who might have said something about that?
I think Sanders has made awesome progress in his swim, thanks largely to a focus on technique (looking at you, lightheir) and just plain working hard. Still a ways to go, the ultimate proof will be non-wetsuit swims since the wetsuit does even out the field a bit, but he is getting there.
That stupid mustache is probably costing him 15-30 seconds...

In his blog post, LS seems to say that he feels he improved his swim in the 5 weeks between Kona and AZ. When you think about it though, Kona was non-wettie vs wettie in AZ so his perceived 2 min improvement could have easily been due to the wettie. Plus, you really can't compare swim times between diff events since they are often diff distances. I just don't think he really improved his swim from 53 to 51 in 5 weeks.

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From his same blog post, I don't think he equates the 2 either. He's really looking at his time gap relative to the front pack, he's been doing this long enough that he knows that you can't really compare courses to that degree of accuracy, or even the same course on different days.

*edit for clarity

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Nov 23, 17 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
From his same blog post, I don't think he equates the 2 either. He's really looking at his time gap relative to the front pack, he's been doing this long enough that you can't reallly compare courses to that degree of accuracy, or even the same course on different days.

To put this in perspective his time gap to Brent McMahon at 70.3 World's 2016 ( which was pretty flat water salt water with wetsuit) was 3:30 or so. This weekend in Arizona over double the distance, the gap was down to ~2:30 minutes and that was not a salt water wetsuit swim (the ultimate "paddleboard conditions"...meaning least drag for your fixed pull). You can also compare deltas at 70.3 St. George or 70.3 Tremblant to get a fair comparison to other fresh water flat water wetsuit swims. Maybe no one really knows if he improved compared to Kona, but I think you can take away what Lionel himself said which was something along the lines of that gap would be a great day in a 70.3 for him even last year.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [psychosyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So LS has a good swim, but still not front pack, than a bad bike, a bad run and goes sub 8-hours and wins. I don't think there are many professional triathletes who could say they had a bad day and go sub-8. Tactically he might not be the best, but when it comes to make the sport entertaining, he does with his all-out attitude. Him and Cam Wurf.

psychosyd wrote:
I think many of these top guys are too strategic, and too focused on the numbers all the time. If they went by feel or just "went for it" every once in a while they would have faster times.

Like Yvonne van Vlerken, who recently raced in Thailand without a bike computer and with a watch which doesn't have GPS.
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [clayhathorn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check his actual blog. Much easier to read. Don't judge him from someone copying and pasting his words...

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it. The no return remark was a bad and snarky attempt at humor. Utmost respect for the man. ..
Quote Reply
Re: Lionel Sanders IMAZ 2017 Recap - How 'bout that swim!!? [dfru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't judge him from someone copying and pasting his words...

Saying someone should "hit the paragraph return button every now and then" is being judgemental?

Quote Reply

Prev Next