Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How do you pick your "A" races?
Quote | Reply
I guess this will be a 2 part question.

First part: How do you all choose your A race? What makes it worth the "A" title for you? Personally, I like my A races to be with well known and/or reputable organizations that I know will have everything well thought out and put together, or a race I have done previously. I don't want to train months on end just end up not being able to race or race to my full potential because of something that the race organizers over looked, etc (this could just be paranoia). I have had issues with bigger events but I figured it would be less likely than some of the mom and pop races. I also look for these larger races when I first start getting into an event. I like the feeling that I am really apart of a big thing. I think Ironman does a good job at this. Making it feel like the race is a big deal. Once I get over the "shock and awe" of the larger races and the, usually, longer/harder distances then I start enjoying the smaller races.

Second Part: For me personally, I'm looking to start running some ultra marathons (which would be my A race for the year) but I'm having a tough time choosing a race. I am venturing into the unknown at the 100 mile distance so being confident in the race is important for me. I want something that is well known and has a good reputation. I find it hard to find such events because, as far as I know, there are no ironman, challenge, etc. brands in the ultra running world. I have been reviewing websites and Youtube videos of the races to try to get an idea if a race is just a little 10 person self supported race or if its a bigger more established race. Any ideas or website I can go to that will help identify what I am looking for?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pick your "A" races? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I pick em by ones that I think I stand a chance of winning. So small, short, local and not established.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Normally it's part of a series or a qualification race.

i.e. Xterra Pan Am Championships, USAT Long Course Nationals

I don't expect to win at that level, just do the very best that I can.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can only answer #1 with my opinion: I pick the race with the conditions I like the most. Time of year is also considered but since I also use triathlon as a means to travel, it allows me flexibility to find a race at the time I want with the conditions I like. For longer races I've only done WTC as they got me hooked into the legacy program (never going to be fast enough on the bike to truly qualify) but when I pick my A oly/sprint, I do tend to look for bigger races because I'd prefer to do my best with the most competition. Incidentally, that also means I tend to set myself up for disappointment :)

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ask my wife where she would like to go on vacation and then try to find a race that matches her desires.

Sometimes I will throw out 3-5 different options and see which one works best for her.

I'm trying to be fast but in the end I'm doing this for fun and if I don't have my wife on board then the whole endurance-lifestyle thing is not sustainable long term. If my wife gets a nice vacation out of it then we all win. I have also had to chill out a bit wrt to focus on the race. It is her vacation too, so if she wants to go hiking the day before the race or walk around sight-seeing then I do it. The first time we did a race-cation I was totally focused on the race and ruined the trip for everyone.

So, probably not helpful to the OP but this represents my maturation as a racer/participant.

----------------------------
Jason
None of the secrets of success will work unless you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First Part:

An "A" race is one chosen to be most important with a particular training cycle. Obviously, the criteria is different for everybody, but most often, it is the preeminent goal race that will measure and evaluate one's training and fitness. Makes no difference whether the event is big or small as long as the course is accurate/certified and the production team is prompt, knowledgeable, professional and competent. Read as much as possible from online sources about course, event logistics, others' experience, reviews, etc. If everything checks out OK, and it will do the job of measuring your particular goal, then you got yourself an "A" race.

Second Part:

See above ^^^.

Also, do a few shorter distance trail races (30-50K) and then, if you like, work your way up. As you do these and gain more exerience, you'll become more familiar with your likes/dislikes and learn which events are respected, notable and worthy of your "A" race classification.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you pick your "A" races? [Brushman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I choose my "A" race based on 1. Reputation of organization putting on the event 2. Logistics -
must be within a reasonable driving distance. I've never flown to a race venue, that's getting too expensive and complicated for me (personally). 1-2 nights hotel stay is doable. 3. Timing and how it fits into my life and training schedule, i.e. when will my biggest block of training land for the A race, and what kind of weather is expected on race day. Like most, I look for cooler running temps. 4. Difficultly, ie what are the elevations for the bike and run, and can I handle them. 5. Fresh water swim. I am not a good ocean swimmer. I think that's about it. My 'A' race for 2018: IM 70.3 Lake Placid.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A answer for your 100 miler ultra races... If you go to the Western States Endurance RunÂ’s web site

http://www.wser.org/qualifying-races/

You can be sure that this list of qualifying races are very reputable. The western states race is the Kona of ultra running.
Quote Reply