Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right?
Quote | Reply
i may have irreparably botched this. but, the poll that was put up this morning, i edited the poll and put it up this afternoon. if you already took the "aero wheel" poll this morning can you take it again? if you don't know if you took it, take it (if possible, from the same computer or network you used the first time). the poll will recognize if you're taking it a second time.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FLO all the way - those guys are great!
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You have left off Renn disc, which in my book is the best aero wheel value out there.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have to say, Boyd from Boyd Cycling delivers outstanding service and I think a good value.

Surprised more people don’t run his wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My need is not there even though i need new wheels. Next wheels must be disc which also means i need a middle class priced disc tri bike not a .1% er bike cost

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wrong. Eve makes disc wheels from 3.4 to 7.8. Others may but I don't know their lines.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What really stands out to me is that at Kona Zipp had 7:1 advantage over HED and 24:1 over Flo. That would worry me if you were trying to generalize these results to a population other than Slowtwitch. Or the less likely outcome that Zipp will be passé is 2 years.
Last edited by: grumpier.mike: Nov 21, 17 1:10
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
What really stands out to me is that Zipp had a 7:1 advantage over HED and 24:1 over Flo. That would worry me if you were trying to generalize these results to a population other than Slowtwitch. Or the less likely outcome that Zipp will be passé is 2 years.
Thats exactly it. Slowtwitch is not at all indicative of the triathlon community. IT's very different to the Kona count and I tend to think it's also very different to what I see in club racing.

Slowtwitch after 346 votes is currently:
23% HED
21% Flo
13% Zipp
8% Premium other brand
7% Enve
8% Price Friendly other
4% What comes on the bike

Kona 2017 count
Wheels
Zipp 1896
Enve 354
Hed 259
Reynolds 235
Mavic Carbon 200
Bontrager 160
Roval 124
Shimano Carbon 106
Flo 79
Vision 75
FastFWD 65
Profile Design 60
DT Swiss 56
Campagnolo 49
Easton 41
Lightweight 40
Mavic Aluminum 40
Giant 34
Xentis 33
Airtstream 28
SwissSide 27
Corima 25
Rolf 23
Oval 22
Knight 20
Planet X 18
Token 17
Felt 16
SRAM 16
Fulcrum 16
EDCO 16
3T 15
Williams 7
American Classic 7
Boyd 7
Flashpoint 5
Aluminum 95
Carbon Other 287
Other 347

Read more at http://www.triathlete.com/...#PDkFX1UUgBfOqkDw.99
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For the updated aero wheel poll I could vote, too ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm at that crossover moment right now. My new Canyon road bike came with Reynolds disc wheels, but my TT bike is still on Zipp with rim brakes. I've got 4 Zipp wheels of varying vintages, none very new now, but they are still great wheels. But I am also in acceptance of the fact that disc brakes are the future for me, and are far superior to carbon rim braking.

I will probably buy a disc brake TT bike next, and use the existing Reynolds front wheel, and get a deeper rear or disc. That just leaves me with 4 Zipp wheels that will be obsolete to me, inc a 10sp disc wheel :-/

ETA - I'd probably price-up getting some of the Zipps rebuilt with disc hubs to save ÂŁÂŁÂŁ; not possible with the disc though, and the 808 front doesn't have enough spokes for a rear hub conversion.

29 years and counting
Last edited by: Jorgan: Nov 21, 17 2:53
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
My need is not there even though i need new wheels. Next wheels must be disc which also means i need a middle class priced disc tri bike not a .1% er bike cost

I assume you mean disc wheel (and not disc brake). You can buy a Flo Carbon+Aluminium Disc and a 60 Front for $1100. That's not peanuts but it's not outrageous. Their all-carbon wheels are about $500 more. They are (supposedly) coming out with disc brake wheels, also.
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

I assume you mean disc wheel (and not disc brake). You can buy a Flo Carbon+Aluminium Disc and a 60 Front for $1100. That's not peanuts but it's not outrageous. Their all-carbon wheels are about $500 more. They are (supposedly) coming out with disc brake wheels, also.

Yep for me was just adding anothet spin on the wheels needing to support disc brakes

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am one of the people that selected "Price Friendly Other". Being one of those ignorant chaps who knows that deep section wheels are more aero but doesn't know what difference one type of hub makes over another, what the weight difference will mean on a flat vs hilly course, what the durability/stiffness of one carbon weave/type vs another will mean in performance. I just find it mind numbing to make a selection. I know that marginal gains can add up and I just hope I am going about it the right way.

I am someone that is more likely to spend $500 on a set of "Chinese Carbon" than go all out and spend on a name brand.

But, if I was to buy a name brand, it would be Flo or Enve. Flo is, from what I read here and hear at races, the value name brand. Enve because it is what all of the faster young guns appear to be using.
Last edited by: LifeTri: Nov 21, 17 5:40
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [LifeTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LifeTri wrote:
I am one of the people that selected "Price Friendly Other". Being one of those ignorant chaps who knows that deep section wheels are more aero but doesn't know what difference one type of hub makes over another, what the weight difference will mean on a flat vs hilly course, what the durability/stiffness of one carbon weave/type vs another will mean in performance. I just find it mind numbing to make a selection. I know that marginal gains can add up and I just hope I am going about it the right way.

I am someone that is more likely to spend $500 on a set of "Chinese Carbon" than go all out and spend on a name brand.

But, if I was to buy a name brand, it would be Flo or Enve. Flo is, from what I read here and hear at races, the value name brand. Enve because it is what all of the faster young guns appear to be using.

I own or have owned the Flo, Zipp, and HED wheels. All are nice, but if you follow the deals people post on Slowtwitch you might be pleasantly surprised. Thomas Gerlach posted about the HED Jet+ 6 deal a couple months ago and I scored a new set for 666$. My only regret is that I didn't buy 2 sets at that price and they are my favorite wheels out of the three brands.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You left Profile Design off of the list.
The 24 Series is pretty good.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i may have irreparably botched this. but, the poll that was put up this morning, i edited the poll and put it up this afternoon. if you already took the "aero wheel" poll this morning can you take it again? if you don't know if you took it, take it (if possible, from the same computer or network you used the first time). the poll will recognize if you're taking it a second time.

I would. But I can’t see the poll on my iPhone.
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:
Slowman wrote:

I would. But I can’t see the poll on my iPhone.

You can. Poll is simply “below” which is why I was also confused about the “at right” direction in the OP. I’m on a phone also...

ETA: I am interested in these results especially as I just got done making this decision as to what aero wheels to use on my new disc-brake road bike
Last edited by: kileyay: Nov 21, 17 18:36
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gymrat wrote:
You left Profile Design off of the list.
The 24 Series is pretty good.

No he didn't: "Premium Other." :)
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slunnie wrote:
grumpier.mike wrote:
What really stands out to me is that Zipp had a 7:1 advantage over HED and 24:1 over Flo. That would worry me if you were trying to generalize these results to a population other than Slowtwitch. Or the less likely outcome that Zipp will be passé is 2 years.
Thats exactly it. Slowtwitch is not at all indicative of the triathlon community.
Is FLO even available in Europe without importing and getting hit with a huge % in customs? If the answer is "no", there you go.
Quote Reply
Re: If you haven't yet, can you retake the poll at right? [Slunnie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All you get from Kona numbers is how well each brand distributes internationally. The Slowtwitch readership is predominately North American from what I can tell.

HED's turbine brake track makes disc brakes obsolete...

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

With the new poll what happened to the Alpha X? The one isn't shipping...
Quote Reply