Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
both are great wheels

Based on everything I've seen, Flo has better customer service
HED has a crash replacement program (which I used).

I prefer alu braking track. I currently have full Carbon and will be going back to HED next season.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Geek_fit wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:
Geek_fit wrote:
Timtek wrote:
I have a FLO60 front and a HED Jet Plus Black disc. I picked up both from very reasonable sellers on ST classifieds.

Personally, I'd never want a full carbon wheel. There are safety advantages for running an aluminum brake track and the reward doesn't outweigh the risk for me.

Read Thomas' blog post on the HED wheels. He makes a lot of great points about them.

What are the safety advantages?

Aluminium is a better braking surface than carbon in bicycle rim brake applications.
The main advantage of full carbon wheels over alloy with a carbon fairing is fashion. Most people seem to consider alloy/carbon hybrid wheels to be a budget alternative to fully carbon wheels, however, from an engineering point of view, I consider full carbon wheels to be inferior. I'm not the only person around here who thinks that. If using disc brakes, the situation is different and carbon may well have the advantage as issues around heat dissipation and brake surface effectiveness are eliminated.

Interesting. I race and train on both and I've honestly never noticed a difference in braking or durability.

I don't think I ever heard someone say they couldn't tell the difference between carbon and alloy brake tracks before!
Do you typically ride on flat or hilly terrain? Do you ride much in the wet?

I live in the Pacific Northwest. So yes, and yes.

I guess with some carbon wheels I've noticed they slip the first few yards if it's completely dumping rain. But nothing that would make me not use them.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
I have a fair bit of experience with the HED JET+ Plus and have turned a few friends on to them. I'm big on the HED JET 6+ Plus especially since you can always find generous deals on the 6s. Seems like HED doesn't mind discounting at least on their non-black version. I now have the HED JET+ Black and they are awesome but it is overkill if trying to save a few bucks.. Here are some more detailed thoughts I put down on why I think the HED JET 6+ is the Best Value Wheelset in Triathlon. If it were me I would forgo the 9 as well.The front 6 is so nice but I do pair it with a disc on the rear.

Your link took me to Normatech Recovery boots.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I have a fair bit of experience with the HED JET+ Plus and have turned a few friends on to them. I'm big on the HED JET 6+ Plus especially since you can always find generous deals on the 6s. Seems like HED doesn't mind discounting at least on their non-black version. I now have the HED JET+ Black and they are awesome but it is overkill if trying to save a few bucks.. Here are some more detailed thoughts I put down on why I think the HED JET 6+ is the Best Value Wheelset in Triathlon. If it were me I would forgo the 9 as well.The front 6 is so nice but I do pair it with a disc on the rear.

Click the link in his signature: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...n-aero-wheelset.html
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [bdungan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
unless your carry pro license UCI rules dont matter for most events. I have never heard anyone having issues
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [robegan99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a reason you wouldn't just choose one set of wheels (6/6, 6/9, or 9/9) and just add a disc cover. If this is for your TT bike, and you don't plan to road race at all, I'd go 6/9 with a cover. You'll be able to handle pretty much any situation with that setup, and you'll never be more than a handful of seconds of a disadvantage to the "optimal" setup for any given course.

As far as braking differences between aluminum brake tracks and carbon. I find that the newer carbon surfaces and pads have bridged the gap pretty well to aluminum in most cases. When it's wet, you do have to "scrub" the brakes a little earlier to remove some of the water on the pads/brake surface, but after that the braking quality is about the same. Slightly better with aluminum, but it's not like aluminum brake surfaces perform the same way in the wet as they do in the dry. So I would say it's more a difference in braking technique than anything else.

However, if you're going to be doing some crazy steep or long descents that require a lot of hard braking (wet or dry), then I would go aluminum brake track. The overheating on carbon brake surfaces can cause delamination...which I have seen first hand. This is not you're common types of descents I'm talking about though...would pretty much never be in a triathlon course, but something like a 10-15% descent for over a mile...where you have to stay on the brakes because cars can pull out of driveways at any time.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [johnnybefit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnnybefit wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

Dang it, sorry about that, that Normatech link must have been stuck in the clipboard when pasting from a previous thread I replied to. Anyway, hopefully you found the article in the signature, if not then here is the proper link: http://www.thomasgerlach.com/...n-aero-wheelset.html

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [MattQ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattQ wrote:
unless your carry pro license UCI rules dont matter for most events. I have never heard anyone having issues

My son raced USAC Amateur Nats TT in Louisville. Frame and geometry had to be UCI compliant. Assumed wheels did too.

He also races Junior Elite Triathlon Cups (DL) and they require ITU compliant which refers back to the UCI wheel list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yup thats pretty much the one event- Nationals- that would be an issue. outside it doubt an issue. For most, nationals not on menu
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Jason N] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jason N wrote:
Is there a reason you wouldn't just choose one set of wheels (6/6, 6/9, or 9/9) and just add a disc cover. If this is for your TT bike, and you don't plan to road race at all, I'd go 6/9 with a cover. You'll be able to handle pretty much any situation with that setup, and you'll never be more than a handful of seconds of a disadvantage to the "optimal" setup for any given course.

As far as braking differences between aluminum brake tracks and carbon. I find that the newer carbon surfaces and pads have bridged the gap pretty well to aluminum in most cases. When it's wet, you do have to "scrub" the brakes a little earlier to remove some of the water on the pads/brake surface, but after that the braking quality is about the same. Slightly better with aluminum, but it's not like aluminum brake surfaces perform the same way in the wet as they do in the dry. So I would say it's more a difference in braking technique than anything else.

However, if you're going to be doing some crazy steep or long descents that require a lot of hard braking (wet or dry), then I would go aluminum brake track. The overheating on carbon brake surfaces can cause delamination...which I have seen first hand. This is not you're common types of descents I'm talking about though...would pretty much never be in a triathlon course, but something like a 10-15% descent for over a mile...where you have to stay on the brakes because cars can pull out of driveways at any time.
Agreed, I'd go for 6/9 or similar. Can't see it ever being worth getting 4 wheels! The situations where a deep front gets you a real advantage is also the one where you would use the shallower one, if ever. i.e. wind. If wind bothers you get a 6 for the front and forget the 9. Otherwise get the 9 and forget the 6.

As for braking and alloy versus carbon. If there is a disadvantage with alloy as you accept, even if it is small, then what's the upside with carbon? Aesthetic plus a tiny weight advantage in some cases? Surely then alloy is superior?

Incidentally, I do descend 10-15% gradients of over a mile in length very regularly. Typically I'm staying off the brakes but I do occasionally have to use them quite heavily depending on traffic, etc. So I have absolutely no desire to chose worse braking even if it saved me a few seconds....and I don't believe it would. In fact given some carbon wheel manufacturers expressely warn against using latex tubes, if I followed their advice I'd certainly lose time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride Flo 60/60 on my bike and have had no issues over two years.

Edit: I mis-interpreted Flo's Black Friday sale email (opps).
Last edited by: HandHeartCrown: Nov 20, 17 12:57
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HandHeartCrown wrote:
I ride Flo 60/60 on my bike and have had no issues over two years.

Flo is having a 40% off sale on their carbon clinchers for Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I suspect this is for in-stock wheels. PM me your email address and I'll forward the notice to you.

Carbon Clincher Rims... not the full wheels. That said, for 40% off on rims, you could likely build a great set of wheels for a great price.

Take care,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Can't see it ever being worth getting 4 wheels! The situations where a deep front gets you a real advantage is also the one where you would use the shallower one, if ever. i.e. wind. If wind bothers you get a 6 for the front and forget the 9. Otherwise get the 9 and forget the 6.

After reading the responses here, I'm convinced that the front 90 is probably a waste. A set of 60's and a disc is what I'm considering at this point (or maybe just the 60's and a disc cover for the rear). I currently ride a full-carbon 60 front/90 rear setup which has been fine. But honestly, I'd really like the rear disc. For training, or super hilly or windy events, use the 60/60. For others, 60/disc.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I’m running the HED Jet 6+’s as the only set of wheels on my Speed Concept. I bought them because they were on a crazy sale and I didn’t want to mess with switching out the brake pads with a fully carbon wheel. I’m really happy with them. Only adjustment I had to make was to widen the brakes to fit the wider rims.

Same. A minor brake adjustment at best for my Felt IA3. Swapped right in, and I love these wheels.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bdungan wrote:
A couple other concerns:

The Flos are not on the UCI approved wheel list. You stated a couple TTs. Very few, but some, require UCI legal wheels.

Switching between Carbon Clinchers and alloy require switching out brake pads. This is possibly quite a PITA depending on your brake calipers.

I've switched between training wheels and CC Zipps until I got a set of HED Jets. Much easier switch.

As a side note, we've completed and passed the testing for UCI approval, and are in the paperwork phase of getting approved.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a related note, I have a used FLO 90 that's a 10 speed I need to upgrade to an 11. I see on the site I need to know what year mine is so I order the correct freehub body. Is there an easy way to tell? It looks like maybe the older models are black lettering on white background and the new ones are white lettering on black, but that's just a guess.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
On a related note, I have a used FLO 90 that's a 10 speed I need to upgrade to an 11. I see on the site I need to know what year mine is so I order the correct freehub body. Is there an easy way to tell? It looks like maybe the older models are black lettering on white background and the new ones are white lettering on black, but that's just a guess.

Looking at the rear hub would be the safest bet. If your rear hub has a gloss finish then you have a 2012-2015 model wheel. If your rear hub has a matte finish, then you have a 2016-Present wheel. Here are some pictures to help.

2012-2015 Model Hubs

2016-Present Hubs

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bdungan wrote:
MattQ wrote:

My son raced USAC Amateur Nats TT in Louisville. Frame and geometry had to be UCI compliant. Assumed wheels did too.

He also races Junior Elite Triathlon Cups (DL) and they require ITU compliant which refers back to the UCI wheel list.

I raced Masters Nationals in 2017 in Augusta, and rode a FLO 90 and FLO disc without any issues. I did however, see them enforce the UCI frame rules (they got a guy with a Speed Concept rear brake cover).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really a Pepsi vs Coke type of issue. Almost everyone who buys from either company is satisfied with their purchase and thinks they made a good choice. There's very little practical difference over the long term between offerings from the two companies.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [shotts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a follow-up, for those that may be curious, I made the purchase and wound up getting the HED Jet6+ and a Jet+ disc. I took advantage of some great holiday deals. The part that sucks is that the new bike they are supposed to go on is still not built. I am waiting on a new Felt IA10 frame kit, and apparently they are having some delays getting the new ones out to their authorized dealers. So, I cannot report on how much I like or dislike the wheels, though I can say they look fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There must be something in the water. This makes 3 Felt IAxx bikes I know of that will be racing on new HED Jet wheels this season.
Quote Reply
Re: New Bike: Can't decide between FLO and HED wheels [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I’m running the HED Jet 6+’s as the only set of wheels on my Speed Concept. I bought them because they were on a crazy sale and I didn’t want to mess with switching out the brake pads with a fully carbon wheel. I’m really happy with them. Only adjustment I had to make was to widen the brakes to fit the wider rims.

I have a set of Flo 60/90 full carbon wheels arriving tomorrow for my wife’s P2. I’m going to weigh them compared to my Jet 6+’s, so I’ll share the numbers here. I’m removing the tires and tubes from my wheels, so it’ll be a bare wheel to wheel comparison. Obviously comparing the rear 60 Jet vs 90 Flo isn’t an apples to apples comparison, but still interesting regardless.

Why did I go with the Flo’s for the wife? They’re lighter, still relatively inexpensive, and I’ve been curious about how full carbon wheels perform. I plan on doing some back to back testing on my Speed Concept at my local bike loop with a power meter to see if I notice any differences.

I don't get how the Flos are lighter. The Jet 6+ wheelset is listed at 1698g. Flo front 60 full carbo is listed at 807g, the rear 60 at at 920g (for a total of 1727g), and the rear 90 at 1150g (for a total of 1857g for a 60/90 combo). What am I missing?
Quote Reply

Prev Next