Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He'll be taking a break - getting married in Dominican (I think) on Wednesday.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:
The dude has a giant picture of Lange passing him above his treadmill.

Which is, by the way, exceptionally weird.

....oh, I guess I should take down your photo above my bed, then?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
kileyay wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:

Why so? You don't think that maybe you could use it for motivation?

Please motivate on me.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [Timtek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Probably assuming that his running hasn't degraded since last years 2:42.....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I raced today and it was pretty f-in windy on the bike. Slow day for arizona, but still pretty fast. The wind just didn't cooperate for crazy fast splits. I've never seen do many pros and ag jogging/walking here.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [jph437] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well he ran a 2:47:16 so it apparently diminished a bit.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
milesthedog wrote:
kileyay wrote:
MadTownTRI wrote:

Why so? You don't think that maybe you could use it for motivation?

Please motivate on me.

All you guys....Lionel, Kileyay, milesthedog....just get it over with and go with this poster and replace Godzilla with your sworn enemy and it's all good to go:

Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [peace242000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats crazy! Did the wind pick up later in the bike and sustain through the run?

Congrats on getting it done!

"The lion doesn't concern itself with the opinions of the sheep"
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [NessTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was already windy by the time i got on my bike around 8. I did 19,19,18mph on the 3 outbound sections, and 30,29,28 on the three inbound sections and i rode super conservatively with the tailwind figuring it wasn't worth it. I think i did 220watts for the outbounds and 160ish for the inbounds. It was windy on the run, but that helped keep us cool for at least the headwind sections.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not with the B Line winds today. They were relentless. Last year was calm n overcast all day
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [reply to] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, to a neutral observer, 7:54 five weeks after an 8:04 in Kona seems pretty fantastic to me.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like "slower day" in that Brent went 8:07, which is a slow time for him relative to last year. It almost seems like Lionel was unaffected by Kona and mainly his time was slower than last year, because the conditions were slower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and on that ''a little'' slower day, Jen Annett broke the bike course record with a 4h38 on the bike....and a sub 9h finish.

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Last edited by: jonnyo: Nov 20, 17 7:50
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's pretty damn amazing, but not. Well done to both of you - loved the tweet from Cervelo about the course record being broken on a Cervelo - not mentioning a pretty stock looking 2 year old P3. That P2/3 frame is pretty sweet though.

It's been cool to see her development into a world class athlete - and pretty amazing back story too.

Congrats again!

Brent

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Way too hot yesterday for a fast run. Last year was perfect, cool and overcast. Yesterday was in the ‘80’s and no clouds.

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen Paolos Twitter comment?

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [ToBeasy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ToBeasy wrote:

Paulo Sousa‏ @pstriathlon
24h24 hours ago

"Not long ago, athletes would be destroyed after racing Kona, just attempt to finish an end of the season Ironman to validate for next season. Those days are gone now. I wonder what changed..."

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:

24h24 hours ago

"Not long ago, athletes would be destroyed after racing Kona, just attempt to finish an end of the season Ironman to validate for next season. Those days are gone now. I wonder what changed..."

From the Lionel fan club, maybe one thing that did change is doing no Ironmans all year before Kona AND taking one full day of rest per week every week and keeping volume fairly low for a pro. Also Lionel flipped is training to much more swim heavy saving his legs of some cumulative training pounding. But I get that winning should draw scrutiny. But he also beat Andreas Ralaert at Muskoka when Lionel was a no name local age grouper turned pro and Andreas was the reigning IM distance world record holder, so it's not like Lionel just came out of no where. He's been just grinding away and getting better bit by bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
sciguy wrote:
ToBeasy wrote:

24h24 hours ago

From the Lionel fan club, maybe one thing that did change is doing no Ironmans all year before Kona AND taking one full day of rest per week every week and keeping volume fairly low for a pro. Also Lionel flipped is training to much more swim heavy saving his legs of some cumulative training pounding. But I get that winning should draw scrutiny. But he also beat Andreas Ralaert at Muskoka when Lionel was a no name local age grouper turned pro and Andreas was the reigning IM distance world record holder, so it's not like Lionel just came out of no where. He's been just grinding away and getting better bit by bit.

I can see where Paulos comment comes from and there is something to that. However, I don't find that it is overly eyebrow-rising. You could also say: Back in the day they could pile on 50+ hour training weeks with no and and were still fresh enough to clock Kona times that would even be top notch today (despite all advances in bike fitting etc.). So what did change? I don't know that if the top Kona guys are clean or not and nor do I have the credibility to make assumptions. But what surprises me most is the sheer amount of power those guys can handle and not the time they need to recover.
You get pounding and all that stuff from the marathon. But an Ironman Marathon is never run flat out and it makes a difference if you run 3:00 for the km or 3:45. So you need to take into account the toll that running 26 miles takes on your body, but not so much as for a real marathon and the time since Kona seems enough. To bounce back from an 8 hour race should also be possible, as the Tour riders show us that you can bounce back daily from multiple 4+hour races in a row. And for the mental side, Lionel himself stated that he is as hungry for the last race as he was for the first one due to his emphasis on recovery. So I think the back to back performance is reasonable.

10k - 30:48 / half - 1:06:40
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jonny, has Jen been in the tunnel ?

I recall seeing a photo and she looks real aero on top of a big engine of course

Cheers Steve
Quote Reply
Re: IM Arizona Race Day: Can anyone beat Frodo's Roth Time? [UKINNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
she as been many times to the Jonny homemade tunnel but no real slowtwitch approve tunnel.

we made some changes for this race specifically and it as paid off as she stick to the plan and rode the watts we wanted.

i will write a little post about it as i think we had some clever way to make her faster.... Arizona is a special course that suits some rider more than others and it s important to play the game properly on that course!

more to come!

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply

Prev Next