Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am kinda joking and kinda serious. If you practice pulling shoulders in and tucking your head in it will hurt/burn: neck and shoulders but if you keep doing that day in day out the pain goes away and you can hold that position longer. If its a fast helmet ride that thing on the trainer and when you train. I guess I would rather have fast equipment and adapt to it then just give up on it and go with equipment thats prob not as fast.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delay, but I got 410g with Visor (medium). I'll go with 408 since Aero's scales are probably more accurate than my $10 kitchen scale. 360g minus visor on my scale seems closer to what they're advertising at 340g, still a bit off from what they claim though.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cheers for that. I assume you don't have the poc? would love to see that next to an sworks
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [ianm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ianm wrote:
Indeed. If Jens Voight decided it was worth taking the aero hit when doing the hour record wearing one, I doubt the difference is worth worrying about.

Voigt wasn't wearing a Ballista, he was wearing one-off helmet (well, I saw one offered on a few German bike e-shops for a short time).

Plus, remember he was doing the hour "for fun", he just picked the low-hanging fruit after the regulation change.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [lenny07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lenny07 wrote:
Sorry for the delay, but I got 410g with Visor (medium). I'll go with 408 since Aero's scales are probably more accurate than my $10 kitchen scale. 360g minus visor on my scale seems closer to what they're advertising at 340g, still a bit off from what they claim though.

Thanks for that. Two grams within error ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:
cheers for that. I assume you don't have the poc? would love to see that next to an sworks

I actually do. I'll update this post with pics when I get home this afternoon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry my english

I have both, at night I take some pictures.
I'm going to tell you my feelings with the two helmets

Swork tt, much more cool
More silence.
For my bad form on the bike it does not seem so aero in me.
But I like it, and with it I did my best ftp test.

POC, with the shield, it seems to me a warm helmet, without the shield I do not know how much is lost of aerodynamics.
It is better for my bad position on the bike here a link :
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That would be awesome
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Sworks is a good option.
Recently saw it tested against the Aerohead. Much faster for one athlete, as fast for the other.
Both world tour riders. Neither was enamoured by the Aerohead.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it's because I look down or atleast eyes slightly forward. Was just thinking tail in the air. Your right it is a crap shoot though without testing
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [warlockuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your position doesnt look bad at all
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [EnderWiggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting how some people have heat issues with the Giro Aerohead.
I have the Aerohead myself and find it to be really cool on me. I used the Bell Gage before that and found that the Aerohead was not much hotter than the Gage even though it only had 4 ventilation holes vs the Gage which has over 20 or 30.
But I also found that if you are unable to hold your head in it's optimal aero position, you won't be able to have air enter the helmet to cool you at all so in my opinion, it is more of a helmet for the more advanced TT rides who are able to stay in the perfect condition for a really long time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
coates_hbk wrote:

Sorry for the delay, I got home later than I thought I would.

There are four helmets in the picture below. From left to right: S-Works TT, Giro Advantage 2, Scott Split, POC Cerebel. All are size medium. The picture distorts things a bit because I'm closer to the POC and the Cannondale Green makes it look bigger. In reality, it's 1.25" shorter than the S-Works and perhaps a touch wider.

Edit: I don't have my Aerohead with me at the moment as it's off getting painted but I also have a bunch of other helmets here so if you're curious for a comparison just ask. The one helmet I know I don't have is the Kask Bambino.

Last edited by: GreenPlease: Nov 20, 17 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that- the Scott is longer than I thought!
The poc does look wider but it could be the colour. I wonder if wider would be better with broad shoulders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The picture really does distort the width. I just tried measuring it which is tricky to do on account of the shape. My best rough guess is that it is 0.25" wider than the S-Works. How that would affect one's aerodynamics is a complete shot in the dark. It's not just your body but also how you position your body. There's way too many variables to speculate.

I think what a lot of people are missing in this thread is that it's not just the weight of the helmet but where that weight is relative to a "pivot point" somewhere around the C3 vertebrae. The further forward of that point the weight exists, the more leverage the weight will have and thus the helmet will "feel" heavier. The Giro Aerohead does indeed suffer from being a heavy helmet. The few times I've worn it past two hours my neck definitely wasn't happy with me. Comparatively, my neck is just fine with my Advantage 2 and a pair of sunglasses for rides of that length. There's only a 40 gram difference between those helmets IIRC but on the Aerohead a lot of that weight is located at the front of the helmet on account of the visor.

For me there's only a 2w difference between the Aerohead and the Advantage 2. The Advantage 2 is lighter, better ventilated, and more comfortable than Aerohead so for the very small aero hit I'd definitely use the Advantage 2 in a 70.3. Other people might have a different aero delta and have a different opinion on comfort and thus choose accordingly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you managed to put a visor on the advantage 2?
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Aerohead = Lead - Need Another Option [ejd_mil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No and I wouldn't. It would almost certainly be an aero negative on that helmet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello
Thanks for the position
I leave you several photos I took yesterday
If you need any more, you tell me

Ami I would like to know the poc without shield the less aero it is.
Greetings from Uruguay

P.D: it is swork is LULEMON jajajaj but in my country nobody knows, and it came out very cheap

http://i1370.photobucket.com/...3203_zpsdxzcait7.jpg
http://i1370.photobucket.com/...3202_zpswp1dkgfv.jpg
http://i1370.photobucket.com/...3205_zps9096f5g3.jpg
http://i1370.photobucket.com/...3207_zpsjasjypt2.jpg
http://i1370.photobucket.com/...3204_zps7hcw5m0u.jpg
http://i1370.photobucket.com/...3208_zpsjygh3u5u.jpg
http://i1370.photobucket.com/...3206_zpsavzwtvep.jpg
http://i1370.photobucket.com/...3209_zpsogimf3u6.jpg

As already commented
With the shiel the poc is hotter.
Without the shield I do not know how much aero is, but it's cooler.
Last edited by: warlockuy: Nov 21, 17 4:12
Quote Reply

Prev Next