Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Garmin AeroStick Updates? [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SrSalitre wrote:
I do not get this approach by Notio with the almost ubiquitous presence of power meters nowadays, and their prices going south... Who would prioritise purchasing their no-CdA, no PM version over purchasing a cheap PM?

Almost anybody. People are 1) cheap, and 2) lazy. Anything that promises a turn-key solution for a relative small sum will find plenty of buyers.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin AeroStick Updates? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
That's why you carefully calibrate your equipment (power meter, speed sensor, environmental sensor, scale).

Are you saying that you expect every PM owner to perform static torque testing on their PM to 'check' the calibration accuracy? Also, static load calibration curve may not give the same as dynamic loading (inertial effects on the strain sensors, etc.). Over the last decade or two, there have been quite a few articles published on PM accuracy. In most cases, the best results are in the range of within 1%, and the worst in the range of 5% or more. Translating to CdA, this is pretty significant - I have a short discussion of this here: https://www.aerolab.tech/single-post/PowerCdA

Chris Morton, PhD
Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering
co-Founder and inventor of AeroLab Tech
For updates see Instagram
Last edited by: AeroTech: Mar 18, 18 8:01
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin AeroStick Updates? [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, this is correct, and the exact reason why some cheap and lazy bloke will go for a cheap pm to get his watts sorted instead of purchasing a new ugly, mini-machine-gun like gizmo to attach to his handlebars offering... a power estimation??
Good luck marketing this one.

Sr. Salitre
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin AeroStick Updates? [SrSalitre] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to get my hands on some version of an Aerostick (or whichever brand shakes out as a good, functional choice)
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin AeroStick Updates? [AeroTech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, I don't. However, just because so many people are too lazy to do so doesn't mean that it is hard to do, or that provides an excuse for not doing so.
Last edited by: Andrew Coggan: Mar 18, 18 13:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next