Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

confusion with new bike choice
Quote | Reply
Need advice on my new bike purchase. I can't afford a 5-6 k mistake. I have a history of back issues; neck, thoracic, and lumbar. I do 70.3's, and want a shot at 140. at 56 years, comfort is key, but I'm already slowish, and looking to pick up any available "free speed." I am aware that this will come mostly from my position on the bike. At 5'7", 190 lbs, (big chest/arms/powerlifter build) I can hold a 15mph pace on my 10yr old madone with aerobars, and that's working hard. LBS PLEADING with me to NOT buy a speedconcept from them, as after their fitting, I would require the very upper limit of the bike's stack range. Also, we live in hill country, and LBS says I will not like the SC when I'm not racing on a tri course. They are pushing the domane, or the new madone 9.0; either with flipped seatpost, and applying my aerobars. geez. I get a higher but narrower position on the non-aero domane or I am buying a second "clipon bike" with the madone (but a great aero frame). Do I steer away from the domane due to the aero penalty of the frame? DOES THAT EVEN MATTER for my type of rider? (my goal is always to finish, and be able to walk away). Do I go with the uber-aero new madone 9.0, and know that I will get a tighter hip angle when in aerobars? Or ignore LBS advice, go speedconcept, and work on flexibility (which I always have to do anyway). "I've seen too many riders on roadbikes not make the cutoff, who, had they been on a properly-fitted tribike, would have been fine," says a tricoach online. Just left hospital with a thoracic spine issue, so you can understand my concern. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Re: confusion with new bike choice [docdave1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about postpone bike purchase and work on your injuries for a while then get a new fit ?

If you do go road bike then Mad one would be the better choice but 5-6k might not make hive improvement.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is there an LBS where you could get a second opinion? You'd be much faster on a TT bike for Ironman, even if your position wasn't exactly optimal.
Quote Reply
Re: confusion with new bike choice [cowboy7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you can't afford a 5-6k screw up I agree with Cowboy...work on your mobility first and then buy your bike not the reverse. If you trust your LBS and they say don't buy a bike and give you a reasonable reason for it don't buy it or find a bike that fits you (in this case a non-Trek tri bike). Unless you are in love with Trek buy a bike that fits you regardless of brand. I almost bought a bike before a fit and glad I didn't. Buy a bike you can ride now and don't buy a bike that you can fit if you do a, b,c. What will you do if can't resolve your issues and then struggle on the bike because you and it don't match?

"see the world as it is not as you want it to be"
Quote Reply
Re: confusion with new bike choice [TizzleDK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the input. will rehab the back, get a new fitting, and base my decision on new fitting stats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Make sure you get a fit from someone who really knows triathlon and has experience fitting all sorts of triathletes. Not just the random dude at the bike shop. And make sure it's someone who will tell you ALL of your best options for tri bikes. Does your LBS sell any other tri bikes except Trek? Did they see if other manufacturers might fit you better? (a Shiv might be a good choice to look in to, IF the coordinates they gave you are what you really need).

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Everyone is different. So, take anything with a grain of salt. I personally get back pains riding a road bike, but feel very comfortable on a triathlon bike. I also don't think you should spend money on a new bike. There are PLENTY of used triathlon bikes out there that are a very good deal. I would invest your money in physical therapy and coaching first and then in a bike.

But, if you are going to get a bike and you don't like the Trek SC. Why not consider a Cervelo P2 (or a used P3), a Quintana Roo PR 5 or 3, a Canyon Speedmax (though really not available in the US yet) or a used Cannondale Slice? In fact the Slice is geared towards folks who ride slower and face more time at higher Yaw angles than someone averaging 22+ mph.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your LBS is probably giving you horrible advice because a Domane with clip on aero bars is a terrible combination. It has lots of stack but at too much reach.

A good fitter will be able to guide you to the best bike for you. If you are anywhere near LA, I would do an ERO session. There are very minor changes that will turn an uncomfortable TT/Tri bike into a very enjoyable ride, but it takes some knowledge to get there, You could waste a ton of money on your LBS suggestion or just do everything right the first time.
Quote Reply
Re: confusion with new bike choice [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for this, and other replies, as well. I will proceed to a dedicated trishop, and go from there. will look at used, after new fitting, as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend that you don't go to a dedicated tri shop.

Go to a fitter that doesn't sell bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Buy the road bike that suits your body geometry and comfort level. Anything else would be a costly mistake.

You won’t gain speed from a tri bike because of poor position which will increase drag and could decrease power output.

As well, if you’re in constant discomfort then it could cause a DNF on the bike or later on during the run.

Good advice as well to get a fit from a fitter that doesn’t sell bikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
docdave1 wrote:
thanks for this, and other replies, as well. I will proceed to a dedicated trishop, and go from there. will look at used, after new fitting, as well.

You don't need mobility or flexibility to ride a tri bike vs a road bike. As already recommended, go get a professional fit before picking a bike. If you post your general location ST can likely give you firsthand recommendations for a fitter.

If you don't wrench on your bikes, I'd recommend trying to stick with a bike that one of your LBS carries and services. The SC is very adjustable and parts are easy to come by.
Quote Reply
Re: confusion with new bike choice [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
found a good fitter in Houston , that will be my birthday present. Thank you very much for each of your time and input.
Quote Reply