Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Help me with a Typical winter BarryP run plan week (like I am 2)
Quote | Reply
So I want to focus on some running this winter and I have been reading BarryP plan. Can someone lay out a typical week for me?

Lets assume my long run is gonna be 8 miles over the next few months.

I see the 3.2.1 should look like this I think

Saturday Long run - 8 mile
Sunday- 2 miles
Monday - 4 miles
Tuesday - 2 Miles
Wed - ?
Thurs-?
Friday - off

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a Typical winter BarryP run plan week (like I am 2) [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Divide long run by 3.

Short Run = 8/3 = 2.7 miles
Medium Run = 2x short run = 5.4 miles
Long run = 8 miles

When scheduling the week, I like to place the hard-bike sessions first. Then work the runs around those. I also like to take my day off running after the long run. My week looks like this

Sun = med
Mon = short / FTP bike
Tue = Med
Wed = Short /
Thu = Short
Fri = Long
Sat = off / Long bike

For you...if you stay with what you have so far....I don't think there's much difference for Wed/Thu to either do short / medium or medium short. Which works better probably has more to do with what Bike you have surrounding those days.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 23, 17 15:02
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a Typical winter BarryP run plan week (like I am 2) [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Tom. The beauty of the Barry P plan is that you don't really have to think about your running. It's either
"I ran easy yesterday, so today is one the three longer runs."
or
"Yesterday was one of the three longer runs so today is easy or a rest."

Because you get an easy day after every longer run, and nothing is too long you should always be good to go again by your next run, so pay more attention to how they fit with your other sessions.

In terms of distance, I think of the total week's distance and use that. If I want 30 miles in a week that will be 3 runs of 3 miles, 2 runs of 6 miles, and 1 run of 9 miles (Divide the total week's miles by 10 - that will be your recovery run. Double that distance, it will be your mid length run repeated twice, treble that distance and that will be your long run).
Last edited by: rmt: Oct 23, 17 19:09
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where do you get these templates?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a Typical winter BarryP run plan week (like I am 2) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Divide long run by 3.

Short Run = 8/3 = 2.7 miles
Medium Run = 2x short run = 5.4 miles
Long run = 8 miles

When scheduling the week, I like to place the hard-bike sessions first. Then work the runs around those. I also like to take my day off running after the long run. My week looks like this

Sun = med
Mon = short / FTP bike
Tue = Med
Wed = Short /
Thu = Short
Fri = Long
Sat = off / Long bike

For you...if you stay with what you have so far....I don't think there's much difference for Wed/Thu to either do short / medium or medium short. Which works better probably has more to do with what Bike you have surrounding those days.

Great information. Thank you for a simple response (and to op for asking). At what point do you up distances? I've previously done a long run of 10 miles and do 4 to 5 for my mediums. Should I really only be doing 3, 3 6, 3, 9? 3 seems too easy (maybe that is the point). So...if you say yes to this, when and how do I up it?
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a Typical winter BarryP run plan week (like I am 2) [littlefoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/?post=1612485

The above will answer ALL your questions. But, the short answer is that its all about weekly volume, not daily volume or "the long run".

The way I determined where to start is this:

I took the last 6 weeks of run volume; average weekly mileage. Divide by 10, that's your short run. As above, the medium run is 2x the short, and the long is 3x the short. I generally work in time, not miles...so, when adding volume I add 1min/2min/3min to each of the runs every week when trying to increase volume. You can go a little faster than that if you aren't injury prone...but, I AM...so that's what I do. Keep the weekly increases to less than 10% total volume.

The plan has you target your long run to 80% of your target race length. If training for a triathlon run, train for 2x the run-leg (train for a 10k for sprints, half-marry for Olympic, etc).

All of this is described in the above links.

EDIT: As far as "when?"...I'd try it for a couple weeks and see how you respond. Assuming, its no big deal, then start increasing per the above. If you get to a point where an increase would seem too much, then stay at that point until it feels "easy" again. The point is to NEVER get hurt.

Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Oct 23, 17 21:07
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a Typical winter BarryP run plan week (like I am 2) [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks I appreciate the response.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wanted to piggyback off this as I started two weeks ago with the goal of building a better running base for the upcoming season and my first half-iron distance race next June. My understanding is that week 4 of each month should be a sort of deload week, is that correct? If so, what do you typically do? Dial back to the first week of the month's volume?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started doing the BarryP plan a little over a year ago and here are some things that worked for me:

Run six or seven days a week
Run slower
Don't be a slave to milage

I have had a lot of success on increasing my run volume without injury using concepts from BarryP.

I am basically up to 40 miles a week, but I am not a slave to 0, 4, 8, 4, 8, 4, 12 to get the 40. If I feel good, I'll run 8 miles three days in a row. If I feel bad or don't have a lot of time, I'll run a mile on the treadmill.

The key for me was to get in the habbit of running every single day and stop making excuses. I don't let a 30 mile week get in my head that it wasn't enough. They key for me is that even a 30 mile week, I ran at least 6 of the days.

Anyway, the only advice I can give is don't stress out too much about hitting your target mileage for the day. Don't try to perfect 0, 3, 6, 3, 6, 3, 9 to get the 30. If you feel good, run longer. If you feel bad, take a 1-2 mile rest day. Just try not to fall in the habbit of multiple 0's in a week.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Last edited by: bluestacks867: Oct 22, 18 10:08
Quote Reply
Re: Help me with a Typical winter BarryP run plan week (like I am 2) [cdoug55] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cdoug55 wrote:
Wanted to piggyback off this as I started two weeks ago with the goal of building a better running base for the upcoming season and my first half-iron distance race next June. My understanding is that week 4 of each month should be a sort of deload week, is that correct? If so, what do you typically do? Dial back to the first week of the month's volume?

There are different opinions of the recovery week approach. I do NOT do that, but rather try and maintain a constant slow increase when building volume. A couple of recovery DAYS, every couple of months seem to happen as a matter of life (business trips, family events, holidays, etc). So, I just use those times as r&r and don't sweat it. Otherwise, I just keep the candle burning slowly.

It's to the point now, that often I forget howany days in a row I've been running. Before I started my taper I think I ran 14 days in a row before I noticed while reviewing my logs. I felt fine...I just started looking back as I was planning my taper, and realized it had been two full weeks.

Run easy, run often. Don't overdo it. Always finish today so that you can run tomorrow. Even the long run or a tempo run. I try to never NEED a day off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is my 8th week of Barry P.

Week 1:
short/slow @ 5:20min/km: 2.6km
medium/faster @ 5:00min/km : 5.2km
short/slow @ 5:20min/km: 2.6km
medium/faster @ 5:00min/km : 5.2km
long/slow @ 5:20min/km: 7.8km
Rest Day.
Total: 26km

Week 8:
short/slow @ 4:50min/km: 3.3km
medium/faster @ 4:30min/km : 6.6km
short/slow @ 4:50min/km: 3.3km
medium/faster @ 4:30min/km : 6.6km
long/slow @ 4:50min/km: 9.9km
Rest Day.
Total: 33km

Pace I am basing off heart rate. Week 1 was 135bpm at the slow pace so thats what Im sticking with irregardless of pace - hence the increase.

Had a few weeks running the same distances, next week I'll be increasing by 10% again.

Am surprised at the ease of which fitness is picking up.

Note: took it really easy on week 6 as my legs were feeling tight (more ITB on the right leg) so ran the short days only.

Have been bike training (4x a week) and ice skating (3x a week) during this - the increase in load has been gradual enough that I've not felt wrecked come any of the rest days.
Quote Reply