Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Stolen Bike Found On Craigslist - Now What? [BSUdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done this....

Saw my bike for sale on Craigslist.

Arranged meeting with seller.

Met with seller, explained that it was my stolen bike and took it. I spoke no threats, asked no questions, nothing. I just took the bike, put it in the back of my truck and drove away.

Bike is in my garage right now. Over 3 years have passed and I haven’t heard a peep about it.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you bought this from a shop, they will typically have the serial number information kept on record. You should check with them.

@GrizzlyBaird | Strava | Website
My Supporters: QT2 Systems | The Olympic Club | First Endurance | Rudy Project | BlueSeventy | NormaTec
Quote Reply
Re: Stolen Bike Found On Craigslist - Now What? [GrizzlyBaird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GrizzlyBaird wrote:
If you bought this from a shop, they will typically have the serial number information kept on record. You should check with them.

This. 2014 is really not that long ago. Especially in the computer age.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BSUdude wrote:
So I had a bike stolen out of my garage this past April. I filed a police report at the time, but nothing else came of it until now. This morning I noticed it for sale on Ebay and Craigslist. The seller has changed out a couple of components, but I am 100% certain that it is mine, because of various aspects of the build that are unique and still present. However these nuances are lost on non-bike people. I do have dozens of pictures of me on the bike.

I have contacted the police. Their response is basically that unless I have a serial number, they can't do anything except talk to the guy. According to the officer I spoke with, they cannot take possession of the bike. I do not have the serial number. The serial number on this frame was a sticker anyway, so the thief would have removed it immediately (presumably).

At the instruction of the police officer, I have made contact with the seller and now have his address.

I can go look at the bike, but I already know it is mine. I am not going to buy it back. It seems like if I take the officer at his word, I really have no recourse to getting my bike back. If the seller is the thief, and I show up with an officer, the thief will deny it, and that will be that. If the seller is not the thief, he will say as much, and that will be that. With the information given to me by the officer, I can't see any way the police would act to return the bike to my possession.

My question is, what would you do? I would be especially interested in a response from police or legal minded folks.

Thanks.

Call O.J. and take him with you to get your stuff back.
Quote Reply

Prev Next