Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube?
Quote | Reply
Hi,

So this is my current race setup

So far only done 70.3 and taped a vittoria pitstop into the seatpost bottle holder, but since next year I'll be doing an IM I would be less worried if I took a spare tubular with me, so far I though on:
- second bottle behind the seatpost with spare tubular + tools
- elite crono CX somehow modded (not sure if even possible) to include a tub inside on the downtube.

What do you think would be the best option?

By the way, what's the best option for a spare tubular? It's still the Tufo Elite, or the S3 Lite is "small" enough?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure that you could get a tubular into a Crono CX even if you tried. That said, behind the saddle is a safer aero bet. One bottle behind the saddle is usually drag neutral but sometimes two bottles "high and tight" actually reduces drag a bit. Sweet bike btw!
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [lsousa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carried a tufo elite jet 160 this year at CdA in a chrono bottle on my down tube. I sliced the bottle open along the “belly” then wrapped a couple turns of electrical tape around it to hold it together and maintain the shape to fit in the cage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
if this was my situation i would decide which bottle holders i mostly used because it was the easiest reach for me. then i'd put the tubular (bottle? carrier of some sort) in the left-over slot.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [pmcdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^^^
Tufo Elite jet folds very small, fit one in the torhans ar plus tool
Depends on the race length where I put what.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [shoki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why carry a spare tubular when you have a flat kits sprays?
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second using an cafe latex or something...otherwise a cut bottle in a rear cage.

The sealant should cover you on anything but a sidewall cut, and thats pretty rare!
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [bojan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bojan wrote:
why carry a spare tubular when you have a flat kits sprays?
Good call,I’m kind of a worst case guy and carry both.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks all. I never tough two bottles behind could be drag neutral (of course this varies from setup to setup), might go that route then.

@GreenPlease, thanks, it's impressive that this is one of the cheapest tri bike options in Europe (not so much in US I've heard). So far I've only replaced the wheels (already had) and crank, and am now on doing a wishlist for bits to update until next season, that's why I've asked this question to see what I'll need. So far my list includes replacing the saddle and get an aero cover.

About carrying a spare tubular, I know it was a freak occurrence but last month I had to call someone to pick me up after hitting a very small piece of metal that I couldn't see.

Thanks!
Last edited by: lsousa: Oct 24, 17 1:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Find my original post on the forum link below, and you will see the pictures I did get to upload that show how I modified the CX bottle.

http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e%20tubular#p6339068

Taugen wrote:
I did this exact mod on my Elite bottle to hold a spare tubular.
I cut a long slit with a Dremel on the underside of the bottle, and thus from the outside you dont see any modification. I can easily spread the cut edges open and get my tubular in/out as needed. I actually did have to use it for a flat at IM Vineman last year, worked perfectly!

CANT UPLOAD PICS due to size of files. PM me, and I will send you the pics of what exactly i did.

What tubular are you using as a spare to be able to fit in the chronos bottle?

I tightly fold down a Tufo Elite Jet 160 tubular.
[inline tire.jpg][inline bottle1.jpg]
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...e%20tubular#p6339068

Team Zoot-Texas, and Pickle Juice
Last edited by: Taugen: Oct 24, 17 5:52
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow you managed to stuff a tubular in there??!! *clap*

That said, I still think the OP is better off with an additional bottle behind the saddle for a flat kit. In my experience, it's usually easier for people to grab a bottle from behind the saddle with their dominant hand (e.g. it's easier to grab a bottle on the right side of the saddle with your right hand if you're right handed). So if the OP is right handed, put the bottle with the flat kit on the left, a bottle with hydration on the right, and if needed a Chrono CX for additional hydration on the down tube. My $0.02, that would be a very livable setup for long course.
Quote Reply
Re: Place for spare tubular - 2nd bottle behind the seatpost or aero bottle on downtube? [Taugen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, nice work, very clean! That's what I had in mind, but wasn't sure if it was possible, thanks, and congrats.
Last edited by: lsousa: Oct 24, 17 9:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couldn't you use Xlab Mini Cage Pod to store your spare tubular: https://xlab-usa.com/...6-mini-cage-pod.html

Mine houses a couple of tire levers, spare tube, some patches, CO2 cartridge, CO2 pump head, and car/house keys.
Quote Reply