Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [hiro11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What Hiro11 said - some fatbikes really are just mtb bikes that fit big tires. Bikes with more trail geometry tend not to be as good for real snow riding. Personally, I only use my fatbike in the snow up here in Quebec, so I have a bike that reflects that. I'm using a 6 year old 907 - it has really long chainstays (467mm). I've used it in the summer a couple of times and the geo is pretty terrible - it really is a snow bike designed for stability in loose conditions.

It sounds like you want to use it more like a mtn bike - so make sure you get one that leans more that way.

Forgot to mention, if you're thinking of next weeks' tri sprint at wrightsville beach. You can rent a fatboy se from bike cycles to ride on the beach. They have a limited supply but it would allow you try it out as well as try a fat bike tri
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [Kenny Hines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Kenny. I'd love to do that race, but I'll be away. Definitely next year.

Thanks again. I'll check with those guys - next time I'm @ Oak Isl. (drive over to Wilmington).
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I sincerely appreciate all the information. It looks like I may be able to get my hands on a Farley to try out......but, they're asking me if I'm interested in a suspension front end.

I have no idea. What would be up/down sides to suspension?

You guys have given me some ideas to peruse (classifieds here and there). Thanks, so much. I'll likely contact a few of you to ask more pointed questions on why you chose what you did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is the fork they are asking about? I can't remember which fork Trek runs on the Farley. The Bluto is not worth the money in my experience, ymmv.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [Kenny Hines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was in Wilmington, NC this weekend and checked out the Fat Bike Tri on Wrightsville Beach. Man the bike and run course looked tough. The local pro guy crushed it, but even he said it was challenging. Might sign up for it next year, but all in all an interesting concept and everyone was having a lot of fun. They posted the pictures on facebook. https://www.facebook.com/...m_id=763643043844605
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [notasfast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link to the pictures. I was stuck at work for the weekend so I was unable to make it. I hope they'll have more of these going forward. Looks like fun!
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [MacCTD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MacCTD wrote:
Check out the Framed Alaskan,
http://www.framedbikes.com/alaskan-carbon-fat/

Or go even cheaper, and look at the Minnesota 3.0

http://www.the-house.com/qfrmin320bkb15zz-framed-bikes.html

$750 bucks!! Why pay more??

When you're running 4.7" tires at like 7 PSI, I doubt you're going to feel a huge difference between all Alu, Alu w/ CF fork, or all CF.

Paying 2, 3, 4, 5x as much, isn't going to make it 2, 3, 4, 5x better. It's a fatbike.
Solid quality components, and it does exactly what you want a fatbike to do - get you out in conditions/terrain you couldn't otherwise ride in.

One of my riding buddies had a totally pimped-out Beargrease, custom carbon rims, etc, that weighed like 25 lbs.
He ended up selling it.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found a 2014 Beargrease carbon X9 for $1100.00

Fair price?
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's hard to say because snow consistency and the base under it can vary a lot. I can ride through 6-8 inched of fresh lake effect snow where I live because it is really light. More typical snow anything more than 3-4 inches and it becomes hard to hold a straight line. Maybe add a little to that for 5" tires.
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [runner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden mine on a bunch of different terrain. We have groomed fat bike trails and I've also ridden it on paths similar to what you're describing as well. If others are using the path for things like XC skiing, etc. you find it a bit bumpy but the bike will do just fine unless the snow gets pretty deep. It's been a lot more fun than I expected!
Quote Reply
Re: Fat Bike recommendations? [trainlighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK.....I'm stil looking.

What's the downside to a 1-2X (I don't even know how to write that)? I can buy a 2016 (new) SPecialized SE for $1,100.00 also.

On the specialized forums I've seen -- People are split between this bike and ponying up for the Fatboy (std) for about $500 more.

Again, I can buy a 2017 Beargrease (X5) for $1200.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few other things to factor into your purchase. For beach riding in the soft stuff you'll be dropping tire pressure to 6-8psi. To do that, you need to go tubeless. So make sure what you buy converts easily. Also, going 1x requires you have a chainring that matches the riding you'll be doing. The std fatboy 30t chainring will do fine in soft sand but on the hard packed sand runs out of gears. In other words, I think I have a 40t for beach riding. It does wonderful in the sand but I'm not sure how it would do in the hills around winston-salem. Other things to consider.
Last edited by: Kenny Hines: Nov 7, 17 18:51
Quote Reply

Prev Next