Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Kiwami Spider LD vs (Kona) heat
Quote | Reply
This year's race day weather in Kona in theory was cooler then in 2015 which I also had opportunity to fight with. At least this is what my Edge 520 is telling me.
But my perception tells me 2017 was a day in a hell I've never experienced yet.
I'm trying to find reasons for that and what is the main difference for me is the trisuit I was using this year - Kiwami Spider LD vs Castelli BodyPaint SS
Castelli was thin like silk, very delicate where Kiwami fabric is rather thick and more rigid. It also has more black parts then Castelli and although it was suppose to be cold black it didn't appear so that day.
I was using Kiwami previously on one of the hot races and I also had some problems with cooling down, but didn't associate it with suit itself but with a poor support on aid stations - hot drink, no ice.
Does anyone else has similar feelings about this suit?
I felt overheated already on bike and pouring bottles of icy cold water on whole body did help much.
On the run it was even worse even though I was putting 6+ cups of ice under the suit on each aid station.
BTW I have sun tattoo on my back in the shape of the green stripe :)

Quote Reply
Re: Kiwami Spider LD vs (Kona) heat [michalp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i would guess what made made the difference was that it rained the night before the race in kona and this increased the humitity on the run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Damn, so that is what that pocket is for. I had no idea. I wore that suit at Kona too this year and I did not feel like I was overheated. I did not have a great run and relegated it to mile repeats since I was running between aid stations, but I don't really ever remember feeling overheated.
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwami Spider LD vs (Kona) heat [jsosinski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I laughed at the ice pocket - until I was becoming an expert at filling it with ice during 30c run at Frankfurt :-) I thought the suit was good in the heat, although that day was the hottest I've ever raced in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello!

I just raced in Miami in the suit and had no issues. Using the ice pocket is amazing as stating earlier ^, Try throwing a sponge in, Lange style.
Quote Reply
Re: Kiwami Spider LD vs (Kona) heat [ttreise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also did 2015 (sleeved suit on bike, no sleeves during run) and 2017 (no sleeves throughout) and on the run at least I concur that the heat felt MUCH WORSE on the run this year. Not so much on the bike though.
5 miles into the run, I was completely cooked and done despite conservative run pace. It felt like I was in an oven with a heatlamp shining on me. I feel like the humidity level also triggered some asthma issues for me.

So I think there is more than the suit at play here...

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How does everyone like this suit?

I emailed Kiwami asking the difference between the Spider LD and the LD Aero and it appears the ice pocket and compression on the legs were the only difference. I am debating between the Kiwami Spider and Roka's Gen II suit. I saw about five people at the IMAZ 70.3 yesterday wearing the Roka suit. Had the opportunity to chat with a triathlete about his and he enjoyed it, advised me to get a tall size if I were to buy one, but had no issues with overheating in the sun. I guess in the grand scheme of things, they will both work just fine on the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find this material to be fast in the water but certainly not the most breathable...I have never done longer course in it or used the short sleeve version but can certainly see it being quite warm on a hot run as is even the tank top version
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Oct 23, 17 17:40
Quote Reply