Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Broken Clavicle - Natural Healing Process + Your Thoughts / Stories Please!
Quote | Reply
Ok, so here is the thing. I broke both my clavicles in close succession. My right collarbone has a plate in it and my left does not. This thread focuses on my left.

The broken ends of the left clavicle has broken cleanly but touching. Doc says I could op or not. I didn't. 6 months down the road, the bone feels solid. It still aches occasionally but x-ray shows hard callus has formed and holding.

My question:
1) sharp end is still poking out (1-2mm), it catches my skin sometimes. Need to file it down?
2) when I do a push up, I can feel minor flexing where its broken
3) still aches but lessening

I am asking because I am planning take the plate out in my right clavicle so I will go under anyway, anything I can do while I am under to help my left in the same surgery?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle - Natural Healing Process + Your Thoughts / Stories Please! [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Broke mine in 2012. Bone was positioned so that no surgery required. Healed in 6 months or so with no issues at all. Several people told me that I should have had surgery (not the doc) to prevent issues with healing but had zero problems once it healed completely. Be patient. Let it completely heal.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle - Natural Healing Process + Your Thoughts / Stories Please! [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I broke my right collar bone and it was a clean break it stay if im not wrong 4mm off i never got the bones reset or anything... not sure if that was good or bad!

It took little time to heal however I always felt lots of uncomfortable pressure when anything would touch or rest on my right side!

Not until many years later until I didn't feel that anymore! I hated the pain and how useless that side of my body became due to the broke collar bone, it is a bad bone to brake for sure

Speed kills unless you have speed skills!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a plate on the right shoulder and natural on the left. I had a bunch of back issues on the left from the inactivity and it took some time to resolve, but now you can't even tell it was ever broken.

I did the right 10 years ago and just left the plate in. It healed quickly and I was back to work and riding in a couple days, but I have a lost range of motion and some general discomfort from the plate.

I would think your left side should resolve in a few more months and all will be fine. There isn't a perfect way to deal with these and their and risks and benefits of both approaches.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Broke my left clavicle- distal fracture, slight displacement. Finished IM three weeks later, with some discomfort- let it heal for a month after the race, and I was playing rugby after that. It still has a bump from where it healed, but I feel no effects from the injury at this point.

I will say that once I was cleared to go back to normal contact and activity, I did a LOT of range of motion work and shoulder exercises to get my strength back. I think it made a world of difference to be proactive in that regard.

http://Everydadironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle - Natural Healing Process + Your Thoughts / Stories Please! [cjacobson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cjacobson wrote:
Broke my left clavicle- distal fracture, slight displacement. Finished IM three weeks later

Ok.
That‘s tough.
Running should work, swimming should work one-handed, but the bike should have been like hell?

I broke mine last year and had an IM 3 weeks later but did not dare to start. Finished another IM 8 weeks later though.
Quote Reply
Re: Broken Clavicle - Natural Healing Process + Your Thoughts / Stories Please! [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swimming was fine except for the contact the first .25 mile. Biking wasn't too bad...then my arm just hung next to my side for the entire marathon- by far the worst part. In retrospect, I spent a lot more energy using the muscles to make it feel "stabilized" on the bike, and had nothing left come run time.

http://Everydadironman.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Had my left broken for me many years ago by an a$$hole who decided touch football was just a suggestion. Compound fracture with a piece floating by itself in the middle (3 areas total but 2 that were clean all the way through leaving the floating piece). Doctor told me I could let it heal on its own and not opt for surgery if I wanted. Went this route and regret it. Not because it seemed to take forever to heal (I think it took me more than 6 months to be able to perform a regular push up and even longer than that to regain my range of motion). But the way it healed is I have a large bump sticking out in the middle of my collarbone and it seems to have shifted how my left shoulder position (my "width" shortened on that side). After it healed I noticed my t-shirts didn't fit right with the collar always against the front of my neck (like it was being pulled on the horse collar). Then there was the inconvenience of not being able to drive my own car for 3 months (had a manual transmission car at the time is why).

Even now when it storms I can feel it ache with the pressure change. If I had to do it all over again I'd of demanded surgery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I broke my right clavicle in 2000- It healed well and quickly without a plate, but it looks terrible. Not straight at all- shorter than my left one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just asking - what is prompting you to remove the plate in the right? i worry about where mine will go if i crash on it again - but so far it hasn't prompted me to inquire about having it removed.

in general i think cyclists and triathletes take breaking a collar bone much too lightly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I'm sure you know there are different magnitudes of a clavicle fracture. I broke my left clear through with a floating interstitial but no lateral displacement so no plate required. I couldn't lay down for a week and it was 6 weeks before I could hop on the trainer with a manageable amount of pain (and I like to think I have good htfu).

I rebroke it 6 months later but it was just cracked so I was on the trainer in a week. 2 years later I still have decreased shoulder mobility but no pain.

Pushups and pull ups were the most stressing exercises for me. Comparing my no plate recovery to multiple friends that got surgery, I seemed to be twice as slow if not more. I think you just need more time and you will be fine.
Quote Reply