Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Starting an Elite Squad in San Diego [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
Some good points but you're off the mark. using MJ and Phelps when comparing to triathletes isn't a fair comparison, people who've made millions versus people who after taxes are probably making 20-40k. You would be surprised how many "pros" are not paying their coaches. The coaches take on "pros" at no charge because 1) Pros can't afford to pay their coaches 2) The coaches care about their struggling athletes who are dealing with a poor financial situation and when they are helping this pro at no charge, the pro helps grow the coach's own education, credibility and visibility in hopes of growing his age group athlete roster.

If an athlete fresh out of college who's run under 15:00 for 5k and can swim decent with minimal training approaches me to coach them but are obviously in huge college debt... you would bet i'd coach that kid for free.

MI_Mumps wrote:
Dave - why on earth would Jim coach them and not be compensated for his time? As mentioned earlier on the thread, the ultimate payment might come from the athlete or from their federation, but why would he do it for free?

I don't think thinking of this as a brand is the best way to frame it. This isn't a bike or shoe company.

When NFL quarterbacks work with George Whitfield, he gets paid. I'm sure Michael Jordan and other NBA guys pay Tim Grover. Does Bob Bowman volunteer to work with Michael Phelps?

What is your other sport?

THIS! Thanks for putting it better than I could have.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting an Elite Squad in San Diego [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Yet you pretty much told me every single race you enter has prize money right?

Yes, but all the money is grassroots. None of it traceable back to any sort of TV deal.

I'll pick the literal example from the race my team puts on. $8000 in price money (split across fields). Pure grassroots. There might be a handful of the lesser domestic pro teams, but like Rally or United Healthcare likely won't be there. Most of the P12 field will either be aspiring young racers or washed up masters throwing down as a 2nd race.

The sponsors for all that money are:

1) Entry fees
2) A car dealership
3) An LBS
4) The Chamber of Commerce of the town
5) A small carbon wheel company
6) An RV dealership
7) A cycling/tri clothing company
8) A local bank
9) A tool company
10) A saddle company (Selle)
11) A cycling magazine
12) A local signage company
13) A chain lube company
14) A local restaurant
15) Clif bar

No money comes from UCI, USAC, the ASO, or any organization that receives "TV money." In fact that's a big topic of argument in cycling is the fact that zero of the TV money filters down to riders. It all goes to the race promoters. Every dime.

The local sponsors are mostly there so us more affluent geezer racers buy stuff from them. Just like in triathlon.

I see zero reason why a triathlon couldn't get those same sponsors, and make an equally big prize purse.

Maybe Selle, the clothing company, and Clif might be involved in World Tour, televised bike racing. But I doubt their calculations to sponsor this race have anything to do with TV deals in Europe . They're supporting grassroots racing.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting an Elite Squad in San Diego [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
Pro cycling has more money than pro triathlon. Agreed? A significant part of this is due to TV, yes?

That's correct. Lot of money flowing through the World Tour.

My point is that zero of that flows down to grassroots racing in the U.S.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting an Elite Squad in San Diego [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I misunderstood this I guess:

“As talented as a coach as Jim May be, the idea of an elite-level athlete paying for his Services is absurd”

He isn’t starting a coaching business. He is an established coach starting an elite squad. Being on his elite team would be a big deal for most folks.

As an aside, he seems humble enough in interviews.

I am still curious about your niche sport, but I suppose that is your business!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Starting an Elite Squad in San Diego [elf6c] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
elf6c wrote:
Paying for expert level coaching is common in the cycling world too. ...

That said, the OP was couched in terms of "starting a team", and try outs and stuff like that. Legit confusing at first.

Exactly!

For the first time my Triathlon career, I started up with a coach a little while back, and the couple hundred bucks a month I pay is probably the best investment I have ever made in getting faster.

There's nothing wrong with spending money on a coach, it's just the terms that it's couched in.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting an Elite Squad in San Diego [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
I misunderstood this I guess:

“As talented as a coach as Jim May be, the idea of an elite-level athlete paying for his Services is absurd”

He isn’t starting a coaching business. He is an established coach starting an elite squad. Being on his elite team would be a big deal for most folks.

As an aside, he seems humble enough in interviews.

I am still curious about your niche sport, but I suppose that is your business!

If you're really that interested, I'll be happy to tell you a via p.m.

Not arguing that Jim is great coach.. Anybody that gets him as a coach is going to be getting a good value as long as what he charges is within market. But, in the San Diego area, it's a insanely tough Market when one considers the number of absolutely incredible athletes who are also fantastic coaches that live in this region.

When I found out that the coach that I have was willing to coach me, I was estatic. As should anyone be when they get a truly amazing coach, but when you get right down to it, this is a tiny sport.
Quote Reply
Re: Starting an Elite Squad in San Diego [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anybody that gets him as a coach is going to be getting a good value as long as what he charges is within market. But, in the San Diego area, it's a insanely tough Market when one considers the number of absolutely incredible athletes who are also fantastic coaches that live in this region.

-------

How many of those coaches are offering daily training environments?
eta: *daily* coached training environments? Not online, never meet with athletes (or meet once a week or once a month), but I'm talking meeting with athletes 5-7 times a week. PS's triathlon squad.....USAT CRP has now moved there (that's a closed invitation group however, so slightly different than the other "squads"), who else?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Oct 24, 17 18:49
Quote Reply
Re: Starting an Elite Squad in San Diego [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a big difference nobody has talked about. I doubt many people sign up for a crit series or any categorized race for that matter just to finish. They are there to race. Very few people show up to triathlons to race. Most are there just to finish, and those few who are racing are going for an "AG podium," of which there are many, rather than the overall. Compare the number of age groups with a handful of cycling categories as far as number of prizes to give out. That gets expensive fast, but if they change it, people would get mad because they're slow and can't compete for the overall but want their age group prize.

Finally, most triathletes don't care about pro development. Look on every usat thread and you'll see a large number of people who say that they would rather cut all usat money to pro development than pay a $35 annual fee.

Sorry for any excessive run on sentences, I'm on my phone and it's been a long day.
Quote Reply

Prev Next