Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero
Quote | Reply
Looking for a new set up and would like some opinions from users of both. Im leaning Dzero as I can swap it over to my cross bike in the off season.

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gonna have to give the Dzero a +1. I truly love it, I had the pedals and just prefer the crank much more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your bike fit supports a crank based power meter, quarq is the way to go. It is a proven product with great customer service, delivers aggregate power, and much less expensive than the P1 pedals if you go for the alloy version. The P1 pedals are a good option if your bike fit requires a crank length shorter than 165(alloy) or 162.5(carbon). Though Rotor also makes a crank based power meter in shorter lengths. More money though, especially if you want dual sided (you do).

Many riders (even average or slightly above average height males) choose crank lengths shorter than 162.5, so be sure of this fit metric before selecting a crank based power meter. Anywhere you put a power meter on a bike will limit some future options, so be sure you have answered all the relevant questions before choosing your power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For cross, I vote spider PM. The key difference is P1 gives you actual l & r power. But the harsh cross environment might not be ideal for a pedal pm.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FindinFreestyle wrote:
More money though, especially if you want dual sided (you do).

why is that a given?

there has been no evidence that there is *actionable* data from dual-sided power measurement that i've seen. if you have any, i'd love to see it!

exxxviii wrote:
For cross, I vote spider PM. The key difference is P1 gives you actual l & r power. But the harsh cross environment might not be ideal for a pedal pm.

perhaps the new version solves it, but there have been some wet-weather-related issues with the spider-based meter being discussed, and in many regions wet conditions and mud are common in CX.

something worth considering.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd give the DZero a +1. I had a few early adoption issues, but firmware updates have made it rock solid.

As someone else said, wherever you put it is going to take some adaptation/compromise. If you want to switch it back-and-forth between bikes regularly, you'll want to make sure they're all running the same BBs (e.g. not a mix of Shimano HTII and SRAM GXP) because switching BBs as well as chainset every time you want to go for a ride is a major ballache.

If you're realistically considering the P1s, I'd personally wait until the Vector 3 starts shipping; I'm considering upgrading to these. I've heard a lot of long-term reliability issues with the P1s.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

why is that a given?

I think he's referring to "total power measurement" rather than just a left-only measurement as the Rotor option is.

tetonrider wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

perhaps the new version solves it, but there have been some wet-weather-related issues with the spider-based meter being discussed, and in many regions wet conditions and mud are common in CX.

Are you talking about Quarq is general or specifically the DZero?
Quote Reply
Re: P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:
FindinFreestyle wrote:

why is that a given?

I shouldn't have written dual sided. I should have written aggregate. Left / right balance is a red herring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This one is easy. You can't really run look-type pedals and have any hope of riding in a cross race. You would need SPD-SL or some other mountain bike type pedal. Far as I know, there are no mountain bike pedal-based powermeters. So you will need to go with a crank based system.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
You would need SPD-SL
I think you mean SPD (2 bolt), not SPD-SL. SL is the road version.
Quote Reply
Re: P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero [rijndael] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rijndael wrote:
nightfend wrote:
You would need SPD-SL
I think you mean SPD (2 bolt), not SPD-SL. SL is the road version.
Oops, yep. SPD-SL would not help. lol
Quote Reply
Re: P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For road/cross swapping, your only real option is crank based power... Pedals are great for road/TT swapping quickly, but as others have mentioned, running with the road cleats required for pretty much any pedal based power system is a non-starter...

I would love to see power profiles from a CX race, but I'm not sure what if any value you would get from having access to power info during the race... not to mention how much you'd crash from looking at it...
Quote Reply
Re: P1 Pedals vs quarq Dzero [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a tendency to overstart and blow up, so seeing 1500 watts on the starting sprint might help me get that in check. I think it would also be helpful late in a race when losing the fight. Seeing how few watts are coming out can be pretty motivating.
Quote Reply