Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Any of you work out at home without a gym/minimal equipment? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take a deck of cards, pick 4 exercises (push ups, sit ups, burpees, and squats for example), assign a suit to each exercise. Shuffle cards and start flipping them over. Do that number of reps for the exercise for that suit, jacks are 11, queens 12, kings 13, and aces do 1 minute without stopping. Takes about 40 mins to,get through deck.
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you work out at home without a gym/minimal equipment? [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 for the Reddit routine, details here - https://www.reddit.com/.../recommended_routine

In terms of minimal equipment, I have a pull-up bar, a set of Olympic rings hanging off steel joist in the garage, and a sturdy box for doing single leg squats, step ups, plyometric jumps, etc.

If you really can't get out of the house enough to do regular short runs, it's probably worth getting something that also enables you to do some cardio training. I found the rowing machine gave me best bang for my buck (or best training in a short amount of time), Concept 2s are expensive but they hold their value so well that if you buy a decent secondhand one you won't lose any value.

And the quicker you can figure out how to fit exercise around kids the better! Ours are 4 and 7 now, I've progressed from running with a stroller, to biking with a baby seat, to running with them while they bike/scoot. I can get a decent 3-4 mile run in with them scooting alongside (ice cream or hot chocolate at the end, depending on season). I reckon my garage is going to feature a tandem bike and a family-sized kayak in the next couple of years...
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you work out at home without a gym/minimal equipment? [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dumbells ,pull up bar ,chair + p90x = all you need
You can just do the three muscle specific workouts and sub the others with sbr or what ever cardio your into.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quit the gym 4 years ago. Wind sprints, yoga, I row.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you work out at home without a gym/minimal equipment? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Daily, or almost daily:

100+ pushups
100+ hindu squats with or without variations
Burpees
Crunches/planks/variations on the theme
Pull ups (baseball field behind the house with a perfect height pull up bar in the dugout entrance)

There are endless ways to stay in shape, add muscle, burn fat, and get fit at home using only gravity.

Problem for me is, home is also where I keep the beer and cigars.

That's awesome. Are you super setting those hindu squats with some self-flagellation in order to atone for your cultural appropriation of the exercise? In all honesty I had never even heard of that exercise before.

I hear you on the beer and cigars. Luckily cigar season is pretty much over, but that also means whisky and stout season is about to begin...

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I first heard of Hindu squats on Joe Rogan's podcast. I've pretty much skipped leg day for the last 25 years, so I can get a solid workout from just pushing my fat ass away from the center of the earth over and over again, at this point.

My latest iteration is Hindu squat to alternating forward lunge, so 1 rep is squat, left leg lunge, then right leg lunge. I can get to 40 reps (4 sets of 10) before I'm toast.

Pushups are usually 110-120, with burpees counting toward the total. You actually improve at those pretty quickly after a week or so.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hate gyms. Yuck! At home I have a dreadmill, spinbike, rowing machine. Between those and pushups (alternate 2 3 types), core, TRX and variations on squats, no gym required.

Re: Any of you work out at home without a gym/minimal equipment? [Dirt fighter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dirt fighter wrote:
Dumbells, pull up bar, chair + p90x = all you need
quote]
We have a room with those things, they seem to do a good job of keeping the girlfriend whole-body fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when I'm living on-compound (like right now) I'm able to get in a surprisingly decent workout with no gear: use a bed or chair for dips and decline pushups, and a yoga mat for ab work and squats. if you're doing 1-legged squats, you won't need to add much weight! the internet is full of interesting variations on basic bodyweight exercises that'll add difficulty and interest for a long time.

jumping rope is great value, and I also have a try that I like but haven't been able to set up in a good spot yet.

lastly, a vote for plain old running: of all my workouts, it's probably the most time-efficient. I can get in 29 minutes of work in a 30-minute window, straight out my front door, and that's why i run more when i travel than anything else. even if you're tired and it's late, 20 hard minutes of running is pretty good value...

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Re: Any of you work out at home without a gym/minimal equipment? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear you on the running. It's what I mainly do these days for the reasons you mention. I live 3k from the beach, and most of my runs have been a hard there and back effort late at night.

I've never attempted one legged squats. Will definitely look in to those.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been lifting for 30 years and I’ve tried just about every routine and methodology out there (except for drugs of any kind). I got tired of going to the gym so I bought one of those multi station racks: chins, dips, leg raises. I often do chins, dips and push ups, usually six sets of each to failure or close enough. I get sorer doing that workout than I do going to the gym and lifting. Three body weight exercises, little rest between sets. Surprisingly challenging workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been working out with weights for a few years, started with a set of Powerblock U90 5-90lb set, http://www.powerblock.com/...omeuse_u90stage2.php and a decent bench that can be flat, incline or decline. Worked well for a while but found it tough to do heavy sets by myself without risking shoulder injury. Bought a Titan Fitness rack, https://www.titan.fitness/cages-and-racks/t-3-racks/titan-t-3-series-short-power-rack.html decent Olympic bar and a good assortment of weights, I have about 400lbs of plates. Found good quality US made plates on CL for a around $0.65 a pound.
The rack is a game changer for working out alone, I can do any bar exercise to failure without risk of having to roll the bar off my chest or drop it to the floor if I fail on a squat.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To supplement my attempts at maintaining an active lifestyle (surfing, hiking, kayaking, etc.), I work out in our garage in the evenings after our daughter has gone to bed. Body weight exercises (including a pull up bar), weight training using a pair of adjustable barbells, and yoga using a strap and block(s) when needed. I used to also have some bands of varying resistances (which was an effective way of gently providing resistance training), but they need to be replaced. It's a spartan setup, save for the gym flooring mats I set down in a maybe 7' by 7' area for my workouts.

War is god
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Personally I hate going to the gym. Not really because of the scene but the added time/effort to get to/from one to do what I can easily do at home. Here's what I've got going on in the garage:

Kettlebells
Sandbag
Jumping rope
Pull up bar (does not get used too much...I should probably try to correct that).
Resistance bands
Treadmill (Mrs Skipjack likes it..I'm OK with it)
Bike trainer w/laptop for trainer road etc

In addition to doing pushups, hindu squats, various other body weight exercises I feel like I have everything I need. Only thing I have to go out for is to run (only because I prefer it to the treadmill) and the pool.

Signed up for HIM CDA next summer...I should probably dust off some of the above.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got the following set up in the garage (we don't use it to park cars):

Pull-up/leg raise/dip tower thing
Back extension
Adjustable flat/incline bench
Set of Powerblock dumbbells
Barbell
Erg

In the process of getting new electric/internet run to the garage, so I can shift my Zwift setup from the basement to out there.
Quote Reply

Prev Next