Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
I'm generally inclined to say that it is, in fact, unreasonable/unconstitutional. I have absolutely no right to know who a person is if I see them on the street; I can't go up and demand to know who they are, see their ID, etc. So what right do I have to be able to see/identify a person's face if I wanted to, and they have it covered?

Maybe true, but in this case, the law only seems to prohibit having your face covered when using public services. People can cover their faces if they like, until they need to go to city hall for a marriage license, or to court to pay a speeding ticket, etc.

Or take a city bus, when it's -30*C, and you're wearing a balaclava or similar face covering because it's so cold out...

Then, if you're weak enough to need a balaclava, you get to take it off when you get on the bus, where presumably you don't need it anymore anyway.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Or take a city bus, when it's -30*C, and you're wearing a balaclava or similar face covering because it's so cold out...

Who the hell wears a balaclava? Typical BC cold weather pussy...

Come spend a winter, hell, a week in the winter out here working with me.

You'll be pissing and moaning about the cold and rain in no time.

Balaclavas are useless here.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:

Who the hell wears a balaclava? Typical BC cold weather pussy...

Come spend a winter, hell, a week in the winter out here working with me.

You'll be pissing and moaning about the cold and rain in no time.

Balaclavas are useless here.

Yeah 5 C and raining will really break my spirit. Life is tough on the west coast.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a damp cold!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's a damp cold!!!

You keep telling yourself that, sissy boy.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's a damp cold!!!

You can't see my tears behind my balaclava of shame.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [realAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realAB wrote:
QC Liberal Party...

This law was passed to appease more conservative voters. It won't stand up to a constitutional challenge.

Bullshit. The province is mostly Catholic and most Catholic's are liberals.
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
realAB wrote:
QC Liberal Party...

This law was passed to appease more conservative voters. It won't stand up to a constitutional challenge.

Bullshit. The province is mostly Catholic and most Catholic's are liberals.

The province stopped being Catholic (capital C) a long while ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's a damp cold!!!

Serious question, what’s the coldest it gets there?

Have you ever experienced -30C with a -45C wind chill?

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but that doesn't mean the attitudes & beliefs have completely died. The face covering regulation isn't about conservatism, it's about Quebec and it's endemic racism starting with the language laws.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's a damp cold!!!

Serious question, what’s the coldest it gets there?

Have you ever experienced -30C with a -45C wind chill?

The coldest I have experienced here is -15*C.

No, I haven't experienced those kinds of temps. However, my good friend recently returned from 5 years of working in Saskatoon. It gets a bit chilly there. He does admit that our 15 below feels a hell of a lot colder then 15 below in Saskatoon. Not -45*C cold, but much colder then it looks on paoer. The dampness. It flows through you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah it isn’t exactly a dry cold here either.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fair enough.

I should add, it dips below -10 here maybe once a year, and for a couple days. We might get a couple of weeks below freezing over the course of the winter. Usually it's between 0-10*C, and the bad rain and storms are more late winter through early spring. Up until December it can be quite nice.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good move...you do not want a moose posing as a Muslim. Such a hoser move..,

Quote | Reply
Typically Canadian thread. Can't agree on politics so how's the weather where you are?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCtriguy1 wrote:
BLeP wrote:
BCtriguy1 wrote:
It's a damp cold!!!

When I was a kid I used to get the words balaclava and baklava confused. Pretty sure I also threw balalaika in there every once in a while just for added comedy at my expense.

Carry on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will tell you I worked outside in forestry for 4 years in Alberta and while -30 sucks, the coldest days to be outside all day are about +1 and either rain or wet snow. Don't get me wrong the west coast are still a bunch of wimps, but if I have to pick either of those two options for working outside I'll go -30 every time.
Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Yes, but that doesn't mean the attitudes & beliefs have completely died. The face covering regulation isn't about conservatism, it's about Quebec and it's endemic racism starting with the language laws.

Agreed. Though the language laws were originally more about preserving language as a part of culture than race explicitly. Quebec immigration has long had a focus on French speakers such as Haiti and West Africa - though also being Christian origin also undoubtedly helped.

This is about xenophobia, no question.
Last edited by: timbasile: Oct 21, 17 9:49
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [abies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
abies wrote:
I will tell you I worked outside in forestry for 4 years in Alberta and while -30 sucks, the coldest days to be outside all day are about +1 and either rain or wet snow. Don't get me wrong the west coast are still a bunch of ruggedly hardcore outdoorsmen, but if I have to pick either of those two options for working outside I'll go -30 every time.
Ben

SUCK IT, BLEP.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I don't follow Canadian politics at all, but generally speaking, are you saying it's xenophobic to draft laws that preserve cultural norms, or are you saying there's a specific and irrational fear of Muslims which qualifies it as xenophobia?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

I don't follow Canadian politics at all, but generally speaking, are you saying it's xenophobic to draft laws that preserve cultural norms, or are you saying there's a specific and irrational fear of Muslims which qualifies it as xenophobia?

It's a law designed to appease a certain segment of voters - those who see the immigration of people's from certain places (over others) as a bad thing. The law won't likely stand a constitutional challenge so it mostly comes down to value signaling.
Last edited by: timbasile: Oct 22, 17 5:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
It's a law designed to appease a certain segment of voters - those who see the immigration of people's from certain places (over others) as a bad thing.

I get that, and it's definitely not unique to Quebec. How much of the "over there" factor has to do with how immigrants from some regions of the world historically assimilate, or fail to, into Quebec (or elsewhere), though?

I had this conversation with a friend recently, and took the "xenophobic" position for the sake of argument. If the net result of immigration from various regions of the world is increasing ethnic diversity that assimilates into the culture and fabric of their new country (shared values, cultural norms, primary language, etc.) then I see it as a benefit, or at least neutral, in terms of immigration policy. Conversely, if the net result is increasing divergence and balkanized populations within the country, regardless of their ethnicity or origin, I don't see how that advances a nation's goal or cultural identity. I think a representative government should act on that interest, within reason and legal framework, if it indeed reflects the will of the people it represents.

I made the point that only in the West do we stress the importance of cultural diversity as a primary goal, though it applies only to Western nations (you'll rarely if ever hear those same people advocating for Westernizing or diversifying other cultures, which is curious), though it's somewhat tangential to the question.

Quebec, from this outsider's view, is fiercely protective of its identity, and so it doesn't surprise me that they would push back hard against populations that pose a threat to their historical cultural identity. That doesn't strike me as irrational fear of outsiders (i.e. xenophobia) but rather a deliberate effort to protect it from cultural balkanization.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Oct 22, 17 6:08
Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit of back pedaling... I mean clarification, going on.

http://www.cbc.ca/...es-bill-62-1.4368594
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a law designed to appease a certain segment of voters - those who see the immigration of people's from certain places (over others) as a bad thing. The law won't likely stand a constitutional challenge so it mostly comes down to value signaling.

That is certainly a part of it but Quebec has a long history of being controlled by the Catholic Church and with the movement away from organized religion, the people want a secular government. Wearing a burqa is an outwardly expression of religion which they want to ban.

There is also a growing angst against how the wearing of a burqa appears to show the control of men over women and that upsets a lot of the liberal minded voters in Quebec. Some of the most liberal countries in the world ban the wearing of burqas. For example, Norway bans (or is planning to) ban the wearing of burqas in schools and universities.

It's not just Quebec and it's not just about being anti-Muslim.

Quote Reply
Re: Canada adopts legalized discrimination against Muslim women [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just read an article saying that someone at U de Montreal did a study and it is estimated about 100 women in Quebec wear the niquab. So we now have bus drivers who have to decide if a woman has to alter her garb to get on a bus in a snowstorm in Montreal with her children. Likely we will have to have some sorts of inspectors to resolve cases of dispute etc. It looks like a solution in search of a problem. Quebec is a society that grants a woman the right to abort an unborn with no questions asked but women cannot decide what headgear to wear? On the other side of the debate the purported purpose of such garb is modesty when it fact it has the opposite effect it attracts attention because it is so unusual and is making a political statement. Strange world we live in.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply

Prev Next