Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please
Quote | Reply
SwimRunNC is a little over a week away. Now in its second year, it is a fabulous event with one of the organizers being our very own Herbert. The team has done a terrific job and has attracted approximately 100 teams from around the US and Europe as well. This should be top notch fun and solidify this event as one of, or the, best SwimRun in the US. Please visit the website for more information.

I have the privilege to be a race announcer for SwimRunNC again this year. I strategically position myself near the end of the road at the top near the lake. That position is the "Hot Corner" of this race with the competitors passing directly in front of me at least six times and within eyesight at least four more times. Very, very exciting with quite a few spectators close to the action. After the last team passes for the last time and heads down the mountain I will quickly pack up the sound system, etc and try to make it to the last swim exit (maybe even in the water) to greet the remaining Teams.

Those of you who have been to races that I announce (15 so far this year) know that I try to study up in order to try to enhance the day for competitors and spectators. Herbert is going to provide with a list of all competitors along with all of the general information on each team. PLEASE post or send me any additional/special comments about you or your team that you think would help to enhance the day. I do try to make all remarks equitable to all competitors and I always use public discretion. Pubes has already responded and I'll try my best to be nice to him.

The organizers of SwimRunNC have done a wonderful job in creating a unique, memorable, and epic event. We look forward to hosting you all in a very beautiful part of North Carolina. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help you or enhance your experience!!!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Oct 18, 17 12:11
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks David, PM sent, see you next weekend.
Tim

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Blog: https://swimbikerunrinserepeat.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [IL2tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be super fun! Thanks for the info and I'll see you up the mountain!

David
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This looks like an awesome event, definitely on my list! Do you know when registration opens for 2018?
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [nicktheswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the event is incredible. It is a two step process. You first have to apply so that you are qualified to register. This is an event with a high degree of difficulty and is for experienced athletes. The organizers are going to do (as they always do) a post mortem after this years race to reassess. I recall that the registration this year opened in the Spring. Herbert, I believe, put an update in this forum.

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
david wrote:
Yes, the event is incredible. It is a two step process. You first have to apply so that you are qualified to register. This is an event with a high degree of difficulty and is for experienced athletes. The organizers are going to do (as they always do) a post mortem after this years race to reassess. I recall that the registration this year opened in the Spring. Herbert, I believe, put an update in this forum.

Awesome, thanks for the info!
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [nicktheswede] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nick,
The race will open in mid November for athletes who raced this year, plus also for qualified volunteers. Then in early December we will open the general entries.

For this coming 2017 race we did it the same way (opened in November 2016) with 100 entry spots available and were filled up by the end of January 2017. We will watch it closely this year to see if we can maybe let 110 teams in or have to maybe cut it back to 80 or 90 teams. We really want it to be a very special experience and too many folks on course will take away from it. In our inaugural 2016 event we had 52 teams (out of 65 registered) at the start and 50 finished, and it all went well.

We are likely adding another unique waterfall section for 2018 and might introduce a shorter version too. The latter is however not yet decided.
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Herbert,

Sounds good - I'll keep an eye on your website and sign up in December! Hope to see you next year, and that next weekend goes well!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So pumped for this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in the Richmond VA area. On a run this morning along the river I passed a couple of teams doing one of these or prepping for another event. It looked like a lot of fun! I really wish the endurance sports community would go back to these quirky events that focus more on the experience than the results at the end.

Edit: they passed me instead of the other way around. They were moving at a pretty good clip. I also saw them come out of the water. All geared up, they were pretty impressive looking.
Last edited by: Cmore: Oct 21, 17 11:06
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look forward to having you! Please let me know if you need anything.

David
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [Cmore] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was actually a race in Richmond yesterday called SwimRun VA, and I assume that is what you witnessed during your run. But since the SwimRun races typically don’t have / and don’t allow large starter fields, it may indeed have looked like a few folks “practicing” on course, unless you happened to see them right after the start.

Our race is next weekend, at Hanging Rock State Park and we have almost 100 teams of 2 from all over North America. We had 101 signed up but have lost a few teams recently due to injuries and personal situations. I assume we will have 95 or so when we start, but currently we are at 97. :-)

We could have had many more teams but rejected at least 25 teams who simply did not have the credentials nor the speed to be in our very technical and difficult race. Basically folks have to submit athletic achievements from the last 2 years or explain why they should be in, and we then decide who gets to fully register. Folks who only have a few 5k and Sprint tri races to their name typically get rejected, as do folks who only have 7 hour Half PRs, or 15.5 hour IM best or so. We have volunteers who have to climb up 2 miles to the top of a mountain with gallons of water and we don’t want them to have to sit there forever, plus it really is a safety issue. The descending is very demanding and we don’t want people who are in over their heads.

This year we capped it at 100 (2 teams signed in at the same time - thus 101, plus we knew we would have teams drop out) as we want it to be a fantastic and memorable race experience for the athletes. Based on how it goes this year we may allow 110 teams next year, or may cut it back to 80 or 90. Next year our race will be in October 28.

There are also more races coming up with SwimRun Lake James next year in April looking very good. I will write this one up soon.

Cmore wrote:
I live in the Richmond VA area. On a run this morning along the river I passed a couple of teams doing one of these or prepping for another event. It looked like a lot of fun! I really wish the endurance sports community would go back to these quirky events to focus more on the experience than the results at the end.

Edit: they passed me instead of the other way around. They were moving at a pretty good clip. I also saw them come out of the water. All geared up, they were pretty impressive looking.
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I now have (and have reviewed) my start list - what is "NEPA" - I'm sure there is more to it than Northeast Pennsylvania!

David
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am going to try and do it next year Herbert. I grew up in that area and hope to go back for this. Sounds awesome! Best,
-Doug

It is the mind itself which builds the body.
-Joseph Pilates
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Team One SwimRun Beyond is comprised of coaches Marty and Bri (pronounced Bree) Gaal from the Raleigh area of North Carolina. Bri is the one with the real job.

Marty has been SwimRunning since his early days as an ocean lifeguard in South Jersey. He enjoys SwimRun training because it helps him feel like a grand adventurer for an hour or two, rather than just another shlubby middle aged guy fighting gravity and first world problems.

Bri is the real athlete in the family. She comes from the first generation of youth triathlete kids, having done sprint triathlons in St Pete and Clermont, FL before most of you ever heard of the sport. She does not like her black training shoes, so may be spicing them up with some neon laces. Or glitter.

Marty and Bri are in year eighteen of being tethered. They buoy each other up in hard times, and paddle their way to calm waters. Not sure how to crowbar a wetsuit metaphor into this paragraph.

Team One SwimRun Beyond is aiming for mediocrity at SwimRun NC, and will be happy with a finish that does not involve tears, screaming, or bloodshed.

Marty Gaal, CSCS
One Step Beyond Coaching
Triangle Open Water Swim Series | Old School Aquathon Series
Powerstroke® Freestyle Technique DVD
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [martygaal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Marty - it will b a treat to have Bri and you in this race!

I just saw Herbert at lunch and the conditions are looking really good for SwimRun. The lake water isn't too cold - 60ish - the air shouldn't be too warm, and there is water in the river!

See you at the lake!

David
Quote Reply
Re: SwimRunNC >> Info for Announcer Please [martygaal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look forward to see you then
Quote Reply