Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts!
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
High IQs causing mental illness makes sense. Everyone on this forum having high IQs is nuts. I am nowhere near Mensa level. And there has to be at least one person dumber than me. I hope.

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
It's our Hi IQ's!

Googol to ga-ga. It's a quite-well-known phenomenon.

Now, if you'll excuse me: it's time for me to run around outside my house with my underwear on my head

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife’s brother had an IQ that was genius level, no joke.

Also was a diagnosed schizophrenic, bipolar, psychotic. Spend time in locked facilities. Tried to kill himself a few times and them ended up dying of colon cancer at 41.

Fortunately for me I’m a idiot and so, of course, totally normal.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don’t belong here.

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's timely. I just started reading the 1964 Pulitzer Prize winning novel for non-fiction - "Anti-Intellectualism in American Life".

I can only be thankful that none of it applies to me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
High IQs causing mental illness makes sense.

The finding is not that high IQ causes mental illness. It's a correlational finding. Correlation is not causation.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Also was a diagnosed schizophrenic, bipolar, psychotic. Spend time in locked facilities. Tried to kill himself a few times and them ended up dying of colon cancer at 41.

That's really sad.

Bipolar is a tough illness (as are the others). One of my fellow students in my cohort committed suicide two years ago. He had bipolar disorder. Grad school didn't help.

I have a sibling with a genius IQ that has a variety of mental illnesses. I have a high (not genius level) IQ and pretty severe anxiety, among other things.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suffer from anxiety and sometimes i slip into a deep, dark place and can’t get out of bed.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
I suffer from anxiety and sometimes i slip into a deep, dark place and can’t get out of bed.

Churchill called it his "black dog"

RayGovett
Hughson CA
Be Prepared-- Strike Swiftly -- Who Dares Wins- Without warning-"it will be hard. I can do it"
Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [raygovett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
raygovett wrote:
Duffy wrote:

Churchill called it his "black dog"
ya but it was a depressed hangover...Duffy doesn’t drink

sometimes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the evidence of the high IQs?

Most of the LR posting can be explained by a chart recently posted in the tri forum, to wit:

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
And there has to be at least one person dumber than me. I hope.
No need to hope. Im here and Im dumber than a bag of rocks (or so Ive been told)
Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dr. Tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

That's really sad.

Bipolar is a tough illness (as are the others). One of my fellow students in my cohort committed suicide two years ago. He had bipolar disorder. Grad school didn't help.

I have a sibling with a genius IQ that has a variety of mental illnesses. I have a high (not genius level) IQ and pretty severe anxiety, among other things.

People who ascribe, or take ownership of a high IQ, are certainly not in that group.

So most of you can rest easily.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm one of the investigators on a big grant for Alzheimer's disease. I was asked to be on it because I can help with the data but I had to pick up a lot of the work done on brain disorders. And it's just a mess in there. We find correlation all the time, and we understand very little. With my group we recently found 3 micro RNAs that show a strong signal to some mental issues, but we have no clue why (mechanistically). So we just keep find stuff left and right and the press tends to jump on it and tells a 'better story' to sell it.
Quote Reply
Re: Now I Know Why Everyone on this Forum Is Nuts! [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote:

That's really sad.

People who ascribe, or take ownership of a high IQ, are certainly not in that group.

So most of you can rest easily.

In what group? I don't understand what you're trying to say.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can confirm correlation in my family.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
High IQs causing mental illness makes sense. Everyone on this forum having high IQs is nuts. I am nowhere near Mensa level. And there has to be at least one person dumber than me. I hope.
If you can’t find the village idiot...
Quote Reply