Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
rbrous9 wrote:
1)

#3 is currently worth $50 on the marathon and $30 on the half.

Marathon is $99 as of right now. So 50% off. Still not too bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
1 is very short notice, b/c it's this weekend, but lets you do a race with current fitness if a 70.3 was a massive goal (or if you like traveling two weekends in a row). $50 is a great deal on a 70.3

I initially said no way I could do this with the travel. But over the last few hours, I have the itch and I have a feeling I'm going to end up doing it. Short drive and we can just get a hotel for a single night. All in about 130 bucks isn't bad at all.

This was my first 70.3 and I'm disappointed that I didn't get to just get it done. Problem is this is my first, so even though I'm very confident in my ability to finish and everything, I'm paranoid about things. I tapered for nearly two weeks for NOLA and it will be 3 weeks by the time this race happens. I probably won't have issues, but that's a long time without a significant bike workout for me from a confidence perspective. I also haven't done a single thing since the day before NOLA was supposed to happen. In fact, I've decided to take a few days to eat pizza and drink beer......last night was a bit too much beer. It's difficult for me to pull the trigger on a race in a few days while I'm extremely hung over, haha.

Just trying to figure out what to do this week to prepare. I'm thinking a ~2 hour semi-easy ride tomorrow (hangover is preventing anything significant today), then maybe a ~4-6 mile run with some tempo thrown in, and decent swim on Thursday. Then ease back again into my pre-race workouts in the days leading up to Austin.
Quote Reply
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [rbrous9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they really stepped up with this. I probably can't make Austin happen b/c of logistics (and lack of remaining brownie points in my spousal account), and I'm sure that their expectation that many won't be in a position to take advantage of it was a factor in their decision to make that offer. Regardless, it's about the best they can do to make it right.

I did find it a bit telling that entry for free or at a reduced rate for this race next year was not an option. Suggests that they might not be sure yet that they'll be doing this in 2018. If that's indeed the case, then I really think this is the best possible offer they could make.

The only people completely left in the lurch are those who don't have any expectations to attempt an Iron-branded 70.3 or 140.6 next year, and people who traveled from other countries that might not have any plans to travel to the U.S. again next year for a race. I saw a group from South and Central America when I checked in and I feel really bad for those guys. Not much good these options do for them unless they have pretty generous travel budgets. But again, I think it'd be tough for PEM or Ironman to put together a better package of options for the majority of the field unless they offered a refund, which just isn't in the cards because they've already spent most or all of the entry fees.
Quote Reply
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [KG6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KG6- I think you'll be pleasantly surprised on how you preform. You body will be well rested, and you'll be eager to go out and DOMINATE it! I think you'll be a little sorer than if you'd had a closer window (less taper, and less beer), but I think you'll do better than you think and feel great when doing it.

Also, for that price, and proximity...its a no brainer in my book!
Quote Reply
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To quote Deadpool, “Why such a douche this morning?” Lol!

Seriously though, no need to call me and my friend out like that. My friend is referring to small local concerts he has arranged and the entire event was insured at around $100,000 to $200.000. I’m not making that up. I’m also not sure why you couldn’t insure a sports event. You know liability insurance is a must have even with waivers, so insuring the event itself seems reasonable if the unthinkable happens and the event were to be cancelled.

ajthomas wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:
I talked to a friend of mine who is an events planner. He said that all events like concerts or sports events carry full coverage insurance for all costs incurred in the case of a cancellation. It’s pretty much a must have for any event.

this may be true for a Taylor Swift concert.... But you're friend is just plain wrong when it comes to triathlons. So I guess you spreading misinformation.
Quote Reply
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [rbrous9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rbrous9 wrote:
Email just went out with the following 3 options for participants, all of which I think are fair. If I did not have plans I would jump on the Austin 70.3. I will definately utilize the options 2 & 3.

These athletes can select one, two or ALL three of the available offers below:
1) Registration for the 2017 Active IRONMAN 70.3 Austin for only $50 (must be redeemed by 10 p.m. ET 10/25/17)
2) $100 coupon good for any open 2018 IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 race in the U.S. (must be redeemed by 11/3/17)
3) Registration for the 2018 Humana Rock ‘n’ Roll New Orleans Marathon or Half Marathon for $50 (must be redeemed by 11/3/17)

For those who use option 1), please let us know how you did (compared to realistic expectations for NOLA). I'm curious, based on the differing opinions of whether fitness will suffer.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in on option #1. I’ve been sightseeing around NoLA all week so hopefully my fitness holds. A lot of walking and I did a 5 mile treadmill Run Sunday and a 3 mile treadmill run yesterday. Probably looking at another 3 mile treadmill Run tomorrow morning before shutting it down. Not an ideal taper but what are you going to do when you’re taking vacation before the race rather than after. I want to come in fresh but not totally lethargic. We’ll see...
Quote Reply
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [NOLAgrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NOLAgrouper wrote:
I did find it a bit telling that entry for free or at a reduced rate for this race next year was not an option. Suggests that they might not be sure yet that they'll be doing this in 2018. If that's indeed the case, then I really think this is the best possible offer they could make.

I thought the same thing when I saw that NOLA 2018 is listed as "date TBD" on the ironman.com website. Then again, 70.3 NC and 70.3 Augusta are both listed as "date TBD" and I'm about 99.8% sure both of those are still going to be held. I would imagine that WTC might want to thin the herd a bit by moving around some of the races that now fall on back-to-back weekends. We'll see, I guess.

Overall I'm pleased with the options. I can't take advantage of the Austin offer but will definitely make use of the other two.
Quote Reply
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [maxgaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like near record low temperatures on Sunday morning in Austin, and then warming up nicely for the run. It's going to be a cold bike ride.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dewman wrote:
2) $100 coupon good for any open 2018 IRONMAN or IRONMAN 70.3 race in the U.S. (must be redeemed by 11/3/17)

PEM has confirmed that NOLA 70.3 won't open for registration before the deadline for using the $100 coupon.

<The Dew Abides>
Quote Reply
Re: Official IM 70.3 NOLA thread [maxgaines] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maxgaines wrote:
NOLAgrouper wrote:

I thought the same thing when I saw that NOLA 2018 is listed as "date TBD" on the ironman.com website. Then again, 70.3 NC and 70.3 Augusta are both listed as "date TBD" and I'm about 99.8% sure both of those are still going to be held. I would imagine that WTC might want to thin the herd a bit by moving around some of the races that now fall on back-to-back weekends. We'll see, I guess.

Overall I'm pleased with the options. I can't take advantage of the Austin offer but will definitely make use of the other two.

I raced Augusta last month and WTC announced at awards that they have renewed their contract with the city for another 3 years. At the same time, WTC will slap TBD on a future year's event whether it is a lock or almost certain toast. The delay might be due to waiting for a permit approval or perhaps they are still deliberating whether to keep it, or simply because they are understaffed (they are), and are slow to update race locations like the 70.3 WC (still listed as TBD for Chattanooga in 2018).
Quote Reply

Prev Next