Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with others that the score was excellent - it wasn't so much musical as purely unsettling, and the LA landscape was well done . . . otherwise I couldn't wait for the thing to be over. There were too many minutes devoted to unrewarding ambiguity - ambiguity for ambiguity's sake - and there are some scenes I still have no idea what was going on, what the scenes had to do with the story or what they meant at all.
And I'm really tired of movies where the main character (Ryan Gosling) is solidly unlikable, is uninteresting, and doesn't display any emotion (doesn't act).
I've watched the original several times and I love it - and thought it conjured up philosophical and social questions. This sequel is purely exploitative
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
I agree with others that the score was excellent - it wasn't so much musical as purely unsettling, and the LA landscape was well done . . . otherwise I couldn't wait for the thing to be over. There were too many minutes devoted to unrewarding ambiguity - ambiguity for ambiguity's sake - and there are some scenes I still have no idea what was going on, what the scenes had to do with the story or what they meant at all.
And I'm really tired of movies where the main character (Ryan Gosling) is solidly unlikable, is uninteresting, and doesn't display any emotion (doesn't act).
I've watched the original several times and I love it - and thought it conjured up philosophical and social questions. This sequel is purely exploitative

I'm pretty sure that was the entire point. He was a freakin replicant.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

I'm pretty sure that was the entire point. He was a freakin replicant.

Yeah, I thought he did a good job of riding the line between somewhat emotionless android, and showing that he developed feelings and attachment to his virtual girlfriend and with the idea that he was invested in possibly being the child from his memories.

I've heard lots of critiques of this movie, but "purely exploitative" doesn't seem valid to me.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well ya, so don’t make a 3 hour movie centering on an emotionless replicant
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:

I thought it was an excellent sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 film. Most critics also seem to like it. Unfortunately, it's been a bad year for Hollywood, and reports are that the film is suffering at the box office to date (not counting this weekend, it was at $66 million in receipts, which is way off where it needs to be).

Many other movies ("American Made," "The Snowman," "Geostorm," "Battle of the Sexes," etc.) are also suffering from the doldrums as well, with studios already drawing down the number of theaters in which they're being screened.

Hollywood Ending: Big Studios Cutting Losses This Weekend, Pulling Flops From Theaters Earlier Than Usual | Showbiz411

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:

I thought it was an excellent sequel to Ridley Scott's 1982 film. Most critics also seem to like it. Unfortunately, it's been a bad year for Hollywood, and reports are that the film is suffering at the box office to date (not counting this weekend, it was at $66 million in receipts, which is way off where it needs to be).

Many other movies ("American Made," "The Snowman," "Geostorm," "Battle of the Sexes," etc.) are also suffering from the doldrums as well, with studios already drawing down the number of theaters in which they're being screened.

Hollywood Ending: Big Studios Cutting Losses This Weekend, Pulling Flops From Theaters Earlier Than Usual | Showbiz411
The original didn't do well as I recall (didn't it go up against E.T.?). Anyway, it will be interesting to see if it catches on through the years like the '82 film. I saw it a few weeks ago and am still thinking about it...
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw it first Saturday it was in theaters. Since then in conversation with others who've seen it, it really seems folks in my age group (45-49) and older really dug it, but younger though it was too slow and boring.

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
I saw it first Saturday it was in theaters. Since then in conversation with others who've seen it, it really seems folks in my age group (45-49) and older really dug it, but younger though it was too slow and boring.

That my friend is a near perfect review.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Yet another example of what the smartphone and the instant gratification mindset has done to our younger folk. I'm mean, who gives a damn about character and story development these days? ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Yet another example of what the smartphone and the instant gratification mindset has done to our younger folk. I'm mean, who gives a damn about character and story development these days? ;-)

Your book better have some character and story development, damn it!

-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mck414 wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
jkca1 wrote:
mck414 wrote:

Your book better have some character and story development, damn it!

Oh, it does. ;-)

Quote Reply

Prev Next