Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Long and Low - How? Attn: Kiley, Bjorn, Others? [BBLOEHR] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BBLOEHR wrote:
"-I train in that position sufficiently, and I consciously practice neck/head turtle all the time. If you haven't ridden your TT bike in 2-3 weeks, your neck should probably hurt post ride, or at least mine does. "

This! I am not the flexible at all but proper fits with guys like Jim and good practice on points like above you can be very aero. I push similar watts Kiley and go similar speeds (i think). You can do a lot with your shoulders and heads once you get in a good position to make a good position a great position.

I will try the 165-167.5 cranks with winter as well. I agree expensive process.

Forgive me for such a simple question, but can you give me some examples of what you do with the shoulders to improve head position?

In other words, what are you long and low types doing to develop your head position?

Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low - How? Attn: Kiley, Bjorn, Others? [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent as much time as I can riding in that specific position I want to hold race day. When you first start doing it you neck and shoulders will hurt a lot but you adapt.

GreatScott wrote:
BBLOEHR wrote:
"-I train in that position sufficiently, and I consciously practice neck/head turtle all the time. If you haven't ridden your TT bike in 2-3 weeks, your neck should probably hurt post ride, or at least mine does. "

This! I am not the flexible at all but proper fits with guys like Jim and good practice on points like above you can be very aero. I push similar watts Kiley and go similar speeds (i think). You can do a lot with your shoulders and heads once you get in a good position to make a good position a great position.

I will try the 165-167.5 cranks with winter as well. I agree expensive process.

Forgive me for such a simple question, but can you give me some examples of what you do with the shoulders to improve head position?

In other words, what are you long and low types doing to develop your head position?

Scott

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low - How? Attn: Kiley, Bjorn, Others? [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's worth considering that the overwhelming feedback from the contributors here took Jim's post as nothing more than "I really wish this particular myth would go away." You seem to be going out of your way to being insulted, when you could just as easily take the comment and realize "this is great news, I CAN get a solid position even without being a human Gumby!"

Look at the glass again. It's half full, not half empty.

Amateur recreational hobbyist cyclist
https://www.strava.com/athletes/337152
https://vimeo.com/user11846099
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low - How? Attn: Kiley, Bjorn, Others? [HVP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race with a 21% back angle which I've read is fairly low. One thing I haven't seen anyone post here on achieving a good position is not carrying any excess gut. If I gain 10 lbs in the winter, it definitely impacts the length of time I can stay in the position, but as I approach race weight then my ability to breathe while bent over is vastly improved.
Quote Reply
Re: Long and Low - How? Attn: Kiley, Bjorn, Others? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mortysct wrote:
About flexibility required to get a good TT bike fit:

Can you sit slumped on a chair? Can you extend your legs so that you are 30 degrees from full extension at the knee? If yes, you have enough flexibility.

Imo its more thoracic/scapular flexibility if you want a fast bike fit; putting your elbows tight and slightly more flex in the shoulders actually takes a little bit of flexibility. Start wider if you dont have it yet.

I've been a tinkerer for a long time and my fit looks pretty good these days. I'm not very flexible but can maintain a 21° back angle. I'm most comfortable on my tt bike (p4). Weirdly I get back problems on my cross and mountain bikes despite them being much more upright. I've not spent the same amount of time getting them dialled in.
I'm coaching a guy at the moment and testing his Aero at the track over the winter. The weird thing is he is less flexible than me an he gets pretty flat but his shoulders and neck aren't adapted to being narrow. So he has wider arms to allow his head to drop.
He gets pretty frustrated as he regularly puts out 40 watts more than me but goes 1.5 to 2 kph slower.
Some of our differences are morphological (I have short legs) but if we get the body angles right we can adapt.
Quote Reply

Prev Next