Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tall people bikes
Quote | Reply
I've got a fitting done and it gives me a few choices: Cannondale Slice 60cm, Felt B 61cm, Blue Triad AL XL, Kestrel Talon 60cm. At 6'5, I need a saddle height of 843 and a fit stack height of 715. How much stack can I safely add onto a bike? I understand base stack comes around 590-610. At that point, wouldn't it make sense to buy based off of effective seat tube length so as little of the post is showing as possible? My current set-up has about 8-10 inches of seat post outside the frame. Sorry if this like some incoherent rambling. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Tall people bikes [gibbby1221] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gibbby1221 wrote:
I've got a fitting done and it gives me a few choices: Cannondale Slice 60cm, Felt B 61cm, Blue Triad AL XL, Kestrel Talon 60cm. At 6'5, I need a saddle height of 843 and a fit stack height of 715. How much stack can I safely add onto a bike? I understand base stack comes around 590-610. At that point, wouldn't it make sense to buy based off of effective seat tube length so as little of the post is showing as possible? My current set-up has about 8-10 inches of seat post outside the frame. Sorry if this like some incoherent rambling. Thanks!

Since I am 6'5 with the same issues, let me know what you find. Wow, that is a huge stack. What is you seat to arm pads distance? One fitting I had has mine at like 130mm, but not sure if the back can handle this on long rides

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Tall people bikes [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

That's my fit sheet. Take what you will from it. The numbers feel great for me, but I'm built like the retired rower I should be (long arms, big old legs, and a bit of a beer gut).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seat post extension not something to worry about (unless you're past the max line, but you won't be unless someone has cut it)
Kestrel not really a tri specific frame and tends to be a bit of noodle in big sizes

You would need to change aerobars for ones that can use pad stackers, like Profile Design J4/J5
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibbby1221 wrote:

That's my fit sheet. Take what you will from it. The numbers feel great for me, but I'm built like the retired rower I should be (long arms, big old legs, and a bit of a beer gut).

Thanks. What is your stem length?

And how did you decide to use 165 cranks?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6’3” so not a direct comparison, but on a Trek SC2 I am only on a large, not XL frame

By your diagram, my A=81.5 and H=698

So I think an XL wouldn’t be that hard to get h=715
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't answer the specific questions but can share my experience. I'm 6'5" with long limbs. I ride a 61cm Cervelo P2 and the fit is great. I think I need a slightly longer stem which is the only thing I'm looking to change. If anything, I could probably have gone 58 to save some weight and still could have worked a fit that was comfortable.

I also ride a 58 Cervelo S3 (with 140 mm stem and crazy high seat) and the fit is amazing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cyclenutz, how easy would it be to replace an pedestal the aerobars? My current set up has the bars just above the base bar.

H2ofun, I'm not sure what my stem length is off the top of my head. When I was getting my fit I tried all different crank lengths and 165 felt the best and had no dead space to the top.
Quote Reply
Re: Tall people bikes [bigredrude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bigredrude wrote:
I can't answer the specific questions but can share my experience. I'm 6'5" with long limbs. I ride a 61cm Cervelo P2 and the fit is great. I think I need a slightly longer stem which is the only thing I'm looking to change. If anything, I could probably have gone 58 to save some weight and still could have worked a fit that was comfortable.

I also ride a 58 Cervelo S3 (with 140 mm stem and crazy high seat) and the fit is amazing.

What are your specs for you setup since we are the same height, and ride the same bike.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibbby1221 wrote:
Cyclenutz, how easy would it be to replace an pedestal the aerobars? My current set up has the bars just above the base bar.

H2ofun, I'm not sure what my stem length is off the top of my head. When I was getting my fit I tried all different crank lengths and 165 felt the best and had no dead space to the top.

Do you typically race flat courses or hilly courses?

If flat, I saw no real difference in crank length. But hills, ..

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ride Midwest flat courses.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibbby1221 wrote:
I ride Midwest flat courses.

IMO, this can impact crank length also. Shorter we go, less leverage which is a non issue for flats, but when I have racing up a 15% grade, ...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to follow this because I have a friend who's 6'6" going through the same thing right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 830 saddle, 671 pad stack. You will fit just fine on a 58 Cervélo P-series bike (recommendation: P2 Ui2 + Alpha X cockpit, check TriRig's fit calculator to confirm), an SC in L or XL will fit you just fine, probably the new BMC would work as well from my eyeballing it, I know a Felt IA or IAx will work for you, too.

You have tons of options, and I think you'd be happy with any of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What is your inseam?

I just checked a few of your measurements against the bike I am playing with. Everything is pretty close to what you have except one.

And that is Saddle tip to BB. Currently I am at 0, with a 140 stem. Your stem is how long again?

So things I see. My D, reach is the same as yours, 52cm. But your I and mine are really different. You are 440 and I am 490. How could there be
that much difference when D is the same?

Your seat being 65mm behind the BB is way further back than mine, since mine at the moment is zero. If I were to pull mine that far back, and like D the same, I would have to change the stem from a 140 to 75mm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

So things I see. My D, reach is the same as yours, 52cm. But your I and mine are really different. You are 440 and I am 490. How could there be that much difference when D is the same?

D is measured from the saddle to the pad, while I is measured from directly above the BB to the pad. If both Ds are the same, but his saddle is several cm farther behind the BB than yours, then his I must also be several cm shorter.

Quote:
Your seat being 65mm behind the BB is way further back than mine, since mine at the moment is zero. If I were to pull mine that far back, and like D the same, I would have to change the stem from a 140 to 75mm.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of variation in saddle shape, so different saddles may require different offsets just to keep the same position. And nose-less saddles are designed to be several cm farther back than conventional saddles. ISM recommends a 5-8cm farther setback compared to a standard saddle. In switching from a Selle San Marco tri saddle to a Specialized Sitero, I went from 5cm in front of the BB to 3cm behind in order to keep the same position...

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: Tall people bikes [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Warbird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

So things I see. My D, reach is the same as yours, 52cm. But your I and mine are really different. You are 440 and I am 490. How could there be that much difference when D is the same?

D is measured from the saddle to the pad, while I is measured from directly above the BB to the pad. If both Ds are the same, but his saddle is several cm farther behind the BB than yours, then his I must also be several cm shorter.

Quote:

Keep in mind that there is a lot of variation in saddle shape, so different saddles may require different offsets just to keep the same position. And nose-less saddles are designed to be several cm farther back than conventional saddles. ISM recommends a 5-8cm farther setback compared to a standard saddle. In switching from a Selle San Marco tri saddle to a Specialized Sitero, I went from 5cm in front of the BB to 3cm behind in order to keep the same position...

Maybe, but was just asking clarification since being the same height just interesting to compare. Now, if he does not have a long nosed saddle, ... But looking
forward to seeing more information.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, it's been a busy weekend so far. I don't know my inseam off the top of my head but my pant legs are usually 34/36 and I am on an ISM noseless saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gibbby1221 wrote:
Sorry, it's been a busy weekend so far. I don't know my inseam off the top of my head but my pant legs are usually 34/36 and I am on an ISM noseless saddle.

Interesting, makes more sense now. If you had a long seat, the nose would be right around the BB.

What is your stem length?

Can you post some pictures of you on the bike. Would be interested to see one at 3 oclock, and 6.

Where you fitted with this? My position is a lot further out than yours, and I have folks telling me I am too scrunched up.

This is why I just scratch my head with fitting. I just see too many fits that do not support the same ideas, to me.

And depending on how my testing goes with crank lengths, my setup could even get more interesting. At least I hope when I am done, there will be some
numbers behind what I try for next race season. Then it shall be interesting what happens in races. It might be wow, I eat crow. Or wow, this stuff means nothing other than the engine.

Quote Reply